I play Death Metal, Jazz, Hard Rock, and even some Country.

I want an amp, in the price range of $300-$500 that has a good clean channel and decent distortion. Preferably a SS combo (half stacks meeting criteria also welcome) without effects. Maybe 65-100 Watts.

My main guitar is a PRS SE Soapbar Maple II. It sounds amazing on my Crate VTX-65 and GX-15's clean channels, but my VTX-65 has this ungodly annoying buzzing sound, as well as being generally unreliable for any band play and the GX-15 is obviously not loud enough.

I'd appreciate any help given!
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Why would you prefer a SS combo over a tube combo?
A poor guitarist for two years' gear:
Dean Vendetta XM
Roland Microcube

Getting/Saving up for:
Jackson Dinky MG Series (Transparent Red)
B-52 AT 112 - Amp choice still deciding but I have about $140 towards an amp.
Because I figure it would be cheaper, and I don't really need a tube amp.
Quote by gilly_90
Which one is better?
Thanks
could the soapbars be part of the buzz issue? aren't they more like singlecoils than humbuckers? and how do they sound for death metal??

for your price range, if you want a good SS amp, look at the Randall RG series
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
I'll look into the Randall RG series.

The guitar isn't the problem. It doesn't matter if the cable is plugged into a guitar, as long as something is in the input slot, this unholy racket emerges from the depths of guitar hell and can only be drowned out by blast beats. Ruins recordings.

I actually sent it off for like a month to get fixed, because it's under warranty. They sent it back and it's actually louder.

Pissed me off.

I played a Peavey Vypyr 75 the other day at this music store nearby, and it sounded pretty decent. I was playing through a Jackson Dinky, not exactly sure of the model, though... But I've heard bad things about them, so I didn't really pursue asking about it too much.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll check that out.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, they sound fine for Death Metal. I don't really like a **** load of distortion, and they have more bass in them than pure single coils have, and I don't scoop my mids a lot, so the sound is actually pretty thick and still articulate. You can make out the individual notes in a chord without it being muddy and muffled with pretty moderate distortion.
Quote by gilly_90
Which one is better?
Thanks
Last edited by Shining_Yrael at Jan 2, 2009,