Quote by mustangrobert13
Alright, so i'm considering buying flatwounds for my MIM Jazz Bass. Would these be good, or would I have to buy more expensive strings in order to not sacrifice tone?

http://www.music123.com/Fender-9050L-Stainless-Flatwound-Bass-Strings-101252-i1122605.Music123

Basically, is it worth the extra money to buy more expensive strings?

yes.

I used Fenders once.

I tore off my callus.

get Roto, Labella... anything but that.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
much better. that should be quite fine.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Personally, I hate D'addarios. Bland and boring. However, I'd recommend Roto's (I find these more twangy, but you are looking for flatwounds) or Dean Markleys.

Or DR's.
DB Player
Quote by mustangrobert13
Alright thanks. What about D"Addario Chromes?

I used to use those but switched to Labella for some reason.
They should work fine though.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
DR's are good. D'addarios should be fine. Roto's are what i'm using now. really twangy for first couple hours then they mellow out and sound great. Don't know about their flatwounds but don't panic if they sound like crap.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
i personally like ghs but d'addario are awesome to lol and fender strings are a waste
Keep On Keepen' On
I have a set of Fender nylon tapewounds and love them.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
flatwounds are a pretty acquired taste. some folk don't like how "dull" they can sound (i personally call it warmth)

personally. i love the hell out of them.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
GHS Flatwounds

Learn them. Live them. Love them.

GHS flatwounds are by far the best flatwounds I have ever tried, not even DR could touch them on quality.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
If you're going for thump, Fenders are a very nice alternative to La Bella. Just make sure to get the heavy ones.

Personally I think any Jazz Bass will long for roundwounds if you deprive one of them.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
I just put Labella flats on my Jazz bass a few days ago. They are expensive and since their are the only flats ive tried i cant compare. At first i did not like them, but jammed with a few guys and they compliment my tone, twice. So im keeping them.

Oh i should mention that i just started using a pick and i was trying to get a Phil Lesh/Mike Gordon tone, hollow and thumby.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I know I'm repeating myself here but I think you should all go out and buy tapewoulds immediately.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I know I'm repeating myself here but I think you should all go out and buy tapewoulds immediately.

Do you mean for all of our basses? Because the strings on my Schecter are more than a year old.
I bought some Thomastik Infeld flatwounds yesterday. I must say, I really enjoy them so far. The tone difference isn't what struck me at first, but the feeling and texture took me a short time to get used to. This was my first time with flatwounds incase you were wondering.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Do you mean for all of our basses? Because the strings on my Schecter are more than a year old.

Well, start with one pack. I swear to you, if I could get a 5-banger set on the cheap, I'd try them out on my Jazz and eventually use them on all my basses. They're hi-fi flats without sounding a thing like rounds (once they die, of course) that are totally pliable while still having tension. They're a joy and will be the only flat I put on my electrics.
Quote by Cody_Grey102