Hi guys,

I'm looking to get myself a new amp to go with my new guitar (PRS Custom 24) and I was hoping to get some advice...

At the moment I have a SS Randall RG75 G3 just to give you an idea of where I'm starting from.....

Basically, I have a budget of up to £1000, but preferably round the 800 mark. What I'm looking for is a versatile amp...I would like something that can do a good modern high gain sound, things like Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, etc. However, it would also need to be able to provide a classic rock (AC/DC sort of thing) tone, along with blues and also give some nice cleans too.....

I realise this is asking a lot of one amp, the priority is the high gain sound as that is what I use most, but it's not what I use exclusively so I've been given the impression that rules out things like Mesa Boogies, and ENGLs

Oh, and one final thing, I would like it to be a combo...I'm not doing any big gigs at the moment and won't be in the near future, therefore I have no need for a half stack or anything like that!

Now I haven't really gotten very far with my research as of yet, but I have heard good things about the Hughes and Kettner Switchblade and the Bogner Alchemist 112.....any opinions on these?

Sorry for writing so much, but I figured the more info you had the better....
Marshall DSL50 or do what my friend did and buy an engl 50 watt combo and have it turned into a cab and head.
Quote by jack15_11
Marshall DSL50 or do what my friend did and buy an engl 50 watt combo and have it turned into a cab and head.

he said he WANTED a combo, NOT a halfstack.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
I've been told that the ENGLs aren't very versatile....I don't know if that's true or not

Also, I don't really know if this makes a difference but I'm in the UK, so things like Mesa Boogie and Peavey have pretty jacked up prices here
You can get a 2nd hand Mesa Rectifier 1x12 combo for around the £800 mark. Not what I'd go for but should do eveything you want.

Engl's are pretty good but very expensive over here IMO compared to Peaveys.

If it were me I'd go for a 2nd hand Peavey JSX combo, there extremely versatile.
Or a 6505 combo but you cont get the nice cleans you want.
So you don't think ENGLs are worth it then?

Also, is it possible to get the cleans out of the rectifier? As that's the reason I had discounted the 6505
I really like the 6505's. The plus has slightly nicer cleans than the normal one due to the seperate eq and extra pre-amp tube. I used to be really pleased with the 6505 cleans though, with a little delay and chorus and they really fill out and gain a lot of clarity.

I'm not an Engl or Mesa fan to be honest, infact I hate mesa's, I think there the biggest pile of s**t going, well to be more specific the rec series anyway. Their other amps are much better IMHO. It doesnt help that they're massivley overpriced in the UK either.

In my experience Recs have been unreliable, inconsistant sound wise and they're crap in a live situation. I gigged with a couple in my live rig for a while and the other guitarist was using a 5150 and every night it just blew the Mesa's away.

Engl wise, I've tried a couple but they do sound good. The cleans are awesome and for heavy stuff they're great too but not that great for the bluesy inbetween breakup sound. Depends what model you go for though. I'd have the Powerball just because they sound massive for the heavy stuff.

At the end of the day you gotta get out and try some amps. Its a big wedge to spunk on one and even if every forum member on here votes unanimously for one amp you could go buy it and end up hating it.
Last edited by jscustomguitars at Jan 3, 2009,
thanks for the advice man.....

and yeah, I meant to say at the start that I was going to go out and try them all, but obviously, it's nice to go in with some reccomendations so I don't end up walking into the amp room and feeling lost!

You wouldn't happen to have an opinion on the Bogner would you?
No mate, no experience of Bogners. The new Alchemist ones are supposed to be pretty good but I dunno.

Theres a vid of my JSX combo on my youtube channel if you wanna take a look. Theres a link in my sig.

Quote by Led Zeppelin45
Cornford Road House 30

Nice amp but I dont think it'll be brutal enough for the heavy stuff.
Last edited by jscustomguitars at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by Highwaytohell
ENGL screamer combo would also work

+1

Quote by idiotbox919
I've been told that the ENGLs aren't very versatile....I don't know if that's true or not

depends on the model. if you're talking about the fireball (or even powerball), then sure, i'd agree. the screamer is one of the more versatile engls, though. obviously try it first just to make sure you don't hate it.

Quote by jscustomguitars

At the end of the day you gotta get out and try some amps. Its a big wedge to spunk on one and even if every forum member on here votes unanimously for one amp you could go buy it and end up hating it.

exactly

EDIT: bogners are awesome, but way over budget, unless you're talking about the alchemist, which i haven't tried yet (and alchemists aren't made in the bogner factory, so i have no idea how good they are).

EDIT #2: oh yeah, a laney tt50 combo would be worth a try too. some places have/had deals on ex-demo ones around the £400-£500 mark, too (guitar guitar and dolphin, if they have any left, that is).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 3, 2009,
Thanks for the advice, and yeah I was talking about the alchemist...I mention that one specifically as it fits pretty much exactly into budget and they stock them at the shop that I'm going to get my guitar from tomorrow so I could have a play then!

It's the guitar village in Farnham if anyone's interested.....

Also, would Orange be worth looking at, people on this site tend to speak quite highly of them but no-one's mentioned them here yet, is that because they're unsuitable? Or just that they haven't been mentioned yet?
not sure if they're really aimed at the music you play... would be worth a try if you see one, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers man, I just happen to the know that the shop I'm going to stocks them too so I'll plug in and see how they sound...hopefully I'll find something that just sounds perfect, if not, I'm going to have to drive further afield!
yeah, if you know the shop you're going to stocks them, you might as well try them, as just because i don't think they're aimed at the music you play doesn't mean you won't think so...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks loads for your advice, I recognise your name so I think you've posted in a few of my advice threads and you've been consistently helpful...

You're an asset to this community, so thanks!
thanks, i appreciate that. plenty of guys know a lot more than me, just i post a lot more...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?