Hey guys I am a total noob with working on my amp...I am looking to upgrade my crate v18's speaker. It is an 18watt tube amp with a 50watt 12 inch speaker at 8ohms. I was looking at the eminence texas heat, swamp thang, and wizard, because I play mainly classic rock and blues. Those speakers are rated at like 150 watts.

Could I go from the 50watt stock speaker to the 150 watt eminence? would this just boost volume or what? I have heard that the wizard is especially loud. I don't really need any more volume if that is possible. if i can drop in the eminence speaker, would it be a pretty easy install?

thanks for any help

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
it would make it quieter
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
I guess better question is do I have to swap 50 watt speaker for 50 watt? I think the answer is no but I have no idea

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Wattage does not equal volume, so if you think going from a 50 watt speaker to a 150 watt speaker will triple the noise coming from an 18 watt amp, not gonna happen.

Some speakers, like the wizard, are more efficient than others, so yes, there will be a slight increase in volume, and maybe headroom as well.

Installation is pretty easy, you probably don't even need to solder if it has those spade clips on there.
Quote by REV3LATI0N
I guess better question is do I have to swap 50 watt speaker for 50 watt? I think the answer is no but I have no idea

no, you just have to make sure the ohms match
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
1 - match impedance.
better power transfer and less possibility of amp damage when impedance matches.

2 - power rating only indicates what power the speaker can tolerate without damage. any value greater than the original speaker will be acceptable.

3 - relative loudness. look for the efficiency specification. dB/watt/metre
the higher this number, the louder the sound for the same power to the speaker.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.