Probably a crappy mic if it's for sale at BB. If you want a good mic and have the set up to use it, get a Shure SM57. If you're really itching to spend that card, then go ahead and get it, but I don't think you'll be happy with the results.
There's also the part where I don't have a preamp nor the will (read:money) to go and buy one. So I'm not sure if running an SM57 through a 1/8" converter would work directly connected to my computer.
Quote by bored_1
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8890319&st=condenser+USB+mic&type=product&id=1218008397738

I have a Best Buy gift card, and this seems to be the best choice to record guitar and drums and bass and such. Is it a decent enough mic?

IF i was going to get a samson mic, it'd be a CO1U, it's good for smooth lyrics, lol.
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
2008 Ibanez AEG20E A/E Cutaway
2011 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro
Amps:
Epiphone Valve Jr. Halfstack BitMo Trio Modded
60W All Tube Egnater Renegade Head and Cab.
CO1Us are fine. I have the non-USB version and it's nice and smooth (very good for vocals if you're starting out). Here's a review. I'd save up for a CO3U if you want to do guitars, since the pad and patterns do come in handy.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
I'm conflicted. I could use my gift card to buy the Samson Condenser mic, and then purchase an amp and effects pedal, and mic the amp. This would cost me 180-220 dollars. Or, I could purchase an SM57 this preamp (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Audio-Buddy-2-Channel-Preamp?sku=701104), an effects pedal, and an amp at best buy with the gift card. This would run me 250-270 dollars.

Is it worth the extra cash? I only want to put recordings on the internet, and for myself, really.
Quote by bored_1
I'm conflicted. I could use my gift card to buy the Samson Condenser mic, and then purchase an amp and effects pedal, and mic the amp. This would cost me 180-220 dollars. Or, I could purchase an SM57 this preamp (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Audio-Buddy-2-Channel-Preamp?sku=701104), an effects pedal, and an amp at best buy with the gift card. This would run me 250-270 dollars.

Is it worth the extra cash? I only want to put recordings on the internet, and for myself, really.

extra cash would probably be worth it, man.
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
Is a preamp necessary for the SM57? I have the converter cable, and my computer isn't bad at all.
You'd probably be better off with a preamp.
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
Quote by bored_1
Is a preamp necessary for the SM57? I have the converter cable, and my computer isn't bad at all.

You could get 60$ tube pre-amps. Of course they won't be as good as expensive ones (sound wise), but they'll do the trick.
Otherwise, the sound level would be way too low without it.
Quote by bored_1
How irritating.

Lol, I agree.

Or, you could buy a DigiTech MultiFX Processor, make a preset, and record with that. It gives very nice recordings, even into audactity. But I'd def. reccomend the mic if your going to be recording various instruments/acoustic instruments and such. But yeah, check the tunes on my page, their all done with my DigiTech RP350, they were easy to record, and who doesn't like that?
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
How exactly would you connect a preamp such as the one I linked to the computer? A 1/4" to 1/8" converter, or something else?
prolly a usb cable.
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
Quote by kyle62
I find myself recommending the C01U all the time, it's simpler and miles more versatile than a dynamic....especially for the price.

I agree, but I've never heard instrumental recordings with it, just vocal.
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
Couldn't I also just go through a direct input, as in Guitar to effects pedal to amp to computer?

I have a logitech headset if I ever wanted to record vocals, and I already use my acoustic with direct input.
idk dude, direct inpput sucks
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
Because?

My acoustic electric sounds like **** through anything but the direct input. Oh. Right. I bought the CO1U, and it doesn't do as good a job with my acoustic as direct input. Great for vocals, I'd imagine. Okay for drums. Records too much ambience, and not enough of a whole room of instruments. I think I'm going to return it.
Quote by bored_1
Because?

My acoustic electric sounds like **** through anything but the direct input. Oh. Right. I bought the CO1U, and it doesn't do as good a job with my acoustic as direct input. Great for vocals, I'd imagine. Okay for drums. Records too much ambience, and not enough of a whole room of instruments. I think I'm going to return it.

First rule of recording: in the wrong hands, even the best gear in the the world will sound crap.

Learn to use your mic properly, and if you're still getting too much room ambience try and deaden the room's sound a little with duvets/blankets etc.

Unless you've got a really high-quality preamp on your acoustic (ie piezo+internal mic), I find the DI sounds quacky, thin and horrible.
You can't hear your own amp when you're playing through DI, can you?