Yea Im kind of a beginner, when it comes to scales I've been playing a lot of tabs over the years. Anyway does anyone know any good scales to play with on top of chords. I know you can play the G minor pentatonic over Ebmaj7 Dm7 and Gm. If anyone has anything like this or know were I can find stuff to play over, that would be great.
Knowing which scales fit over which chords is all part of music theory and experience. Obviously, answering this thread in detail could take quite awhile. Let me just give you something to work on.

If you're playing a pentatonic minor scale, don't forget that you can also use the relative major pentatonic - the same works in reverse, too. If you're playing something with the major pentatonic, you can also use the relative minor pentatonic. How do you know which notes to use? The technical answer is that the relative minor, or natural minor, pentatonic scale is built from the 6th degree of the parent major scale.

For example, let's say we're playing a song in the key of G major. More than likely, we'll use the G pentatonic major scale with it. What if we wanted to play the relative minor scale with it? First, let's figure out which notes are in the G major scale:

G A B C D E F#

Those are the notes in the key of G major. Remember that I said the relative minor was built from the 6th scale degree? Let's have another look at that scale, but this time let's assign scale degrees:

I ii iii IV V vi VII
G A B C D E F#

I've used Roman numerals to identify the scale degrees. The 6th degree is E. If we play E minor pentatonic with our song in G major, it should sound good. Why? because we're using the same notes as G major pentatonic. You might also be asking how I know which notes are in the key of G major. We use a formula to find the notes in a given key. The formula is Whole, Whole, Half, Whole, Whole, Whole, Half. Start at any note, follow the formula and skip either a whole or a half note and you can find out the notes for any key. The formula for a minor key is Whole, Half, Whole, Whole, Half, Whole.

Hope this helps.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Knowing which scales fit over which chords is all part of music theory and experience. Obviously, answering this thread in detail could take quite awhile. Let me just give you something to work on.

If you're playing a pentatonic minor scale, don't forget that you can also use the relative major pentatonic - the same works in reverse, too. If you're playing something with the major pentatonic, you can also use the relative minor pentatonic. How do you know which notes to use? The technical answer is that the relative minor, or natural minor, pentatonic scale is built from the 6th degree of the parent major scale.

For example, let's say we're playing a song in the key of G major. More than likely, we'll use the G pentatonic major scale with it. What if we wanted to play the relative minor scale with it? First, let's figure out which notes are in the G major scale:

G A B C D E F#

Those are the notes in the key of G major. Remember that I said the relative minor was built from the 6th scale degree? Let's have another look at that scale, but this time let's assign scale degrees:

I ii iii IV V vi VII
G A B C D E F#

I've used Roman numerals to identify the scale degrees. The 6th degree is E. If we play E minor pentatonic with our song in G major, it should sound good. Why? because we're using the same notes as G major pentatonic. You might also be asking how I know which notes are in the key of G major. We use a formula to find the notes in a given key. The formula is Whole, Whole, Half, Whole, Whole, Whole, Half. Start at any note, follow the formula and skip either a whole or a half note and you can find out the notes for any key. The formula for a minor key is Whole, Half, Whole, Whole, Half, Whole.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for explaining that I hope thats right cuz i can kinda understand what your saying. Im also always asking questions like these and i get an answer but never an explanation as to get the answer. also TS you might want to try this site out.

www.jguitar.com
RAW ROCK KILLS!- ShowBread
Hello, My name is Armando and im your bunny