Fast Version: Band situation, the other guitarist can't play at all, is a really cool guy, but holds us all back.

Prepare for the wall of text.

Last september my friend Travis and I started talking about forming a band (at the time he played NO instruments, I play piano for 4 years, bass for 2, and sing). That december we both got our first guitars (we've been playing a year and 8 days now, lol). So I managed to skip that entire beginning guitarist thing, the frustrating crap about your fingers hurting and stuff, etc... and immedietely dove into advanced technique after I learned my major, minor, major 7, minor 7, 7, minor maj7, diminished, major 6th, minor 6th all over the fretboard and how to form them (I already knew a lot of theory.)

Fastforward to March: My friend Anders and I were walking down a hallway in school, and we walked into my friend's Travis and Pranav. My other friend Felix (who was good friends with Travis) walked out of a classroom. I realized that we had a full band right there, me on bass and backing vocals, Felix on lead guitar, Travis on rythym, Anders on drums, Pranav on lead vocals. We started having practices. It quickly became apparent that Travis couldn't hold his weight AT ALL, he couldnt play anything that we wanted. The rest of us started discussing what we should do with him (and thanks to the advice of bandleading, we decided to keep him in the band, but he would have to increase his skill before he played with us). We got my amazing self taught friend Alejandro to play lead guitar/bass. Travis was technically 'out' at this time. We got a steady lineup, played a few one off gigs, wrote some really cool ****, and everything was cool.

Fastforward to this year (circa October): So Felix and Anders moved back to their home countries this year (Sweden and Denmark). My friend Alejandro got tired of the band, because he's this real loner who just like sitting in his room watching anime, getting high and playing by himself. That just left me, Pranav, and Travis, and this was cool. I stepped over to lead guitar because I'm obsessed with the instrument (practice 3-4 hours a day), and have good phrasing, technique, can play pretty fast with control, have the basics of sweep picking and economy picking.

Pranav caught a dose of LSD, and quit the band because the chick hes ****ing doesn't like rock music. It's cool though, I stepped up to vocals until we could find a new lead singer. We found a new bassist, and are in the process of looking for a drummer (auditioning). But whenever I sit down to play with Travis now, I realize that he really holds the band back.

He's one of my best friends, and I don't want to kick him out like what sort of happened before, but I don't really see any other options. His playing is really choppy, he only knows major and minor chords in 2 different positions (open and 6th string bar), he can't keep time, and he usually plays just powerchords and writes awesome riffs. He's really open to learning, and that's good, but for some reason he just doesn't, even though he has 2 guitar teachers (my acoustic guitar teacher at school, who knows a ****load of theory, and some other guy who 'toured with the allman brothers'). He knows no theory, and just plays things that sound terrible together. I don't know what to do. I know I'm kind of controlling in the band, but we're at a stage where we can write some really good sounding stuff, but I find more and more that I have to write both rythym and lead parts, and give them to learn, which he doesn't always do. He says he spends his time writing music, and doesn't learn any songs. I think thats really stupid, because you improve a lot by learning songs, but he doesnt listen. What should I do?

EDIT: I want to talk to him about this, but I have no clue how. I realize communication is the way you can solve almost every band situation, but I'm not the type of guy who can walk up to a friend and say "hey, your playing sucks."
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Last edited by Shadow_Hawk at Jan 2, 2009,
kick him out. its pretty simple.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Tell him to practice more. Or practice with him.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Tell him. We need to talk. then he starts crying. then you come in with the old "Its not you its me - hating you" line and then hes outta your life forever. PS - what if he reads this???
you might wanna edit the fast version at the top
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
he doesn't use UG lol. kinda wierd considering how much I talk about this site for lessons and tabs, but whatever.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Quote by Black Label93
you might wanna edit the fast version at the top

I did as you commanded
Quote by Zero-Hartman
practice with him and hang out with him to jam a little. after he gets cofterble playing with you start covering easy songs then up the difficulty on the songs a little more with every one. don't tell him he sucks just slowly work him into a band member.
HOLY CRAP MY SITUATION ALSO... just that we resolved it lol. Personally i wouldnt kick him out cause u know hes a friend and ****. YO im a decent guitarist no lessons and nothing, knowing almost nothing of theory and stuff. Just tell him to play some songs that he likes to listen to and yea thats how i learned to be pretty good, and get him a book of scales and sh*t its really easy. Sit down with him and teach him some stuff. My band went through three different bassists cause yea they all sucked. Idk im just really bored rite now so yea those are some of my suggestions
to -tempest- : he wants to jam at lots of our free periods that we share. Like I said, he's willing to learn.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
I did as you commanded

excellent.
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
to -tempest- : he wants to jam at lots of our free periods that we share. Like I said, he's willing to learn.

cool, then start covering songs HE likes to keep him interested(preferably ones you both know) and slowly work the thoery in there from time to time. eventually if you both like about the same kind of music things will go smoothy .
Quote by -tempest-
cool, then start covering songs HE likes to keep him interested(preferably ones you both know) and slowly work the thoery in there from time to time. eventually if you both like about the same kind of music things will go smoothy .

we're both obsessed with gnr lol. other bands are only secondary.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
1. Your friends have weird names, although you said a couple were from different countries, I just wanted to point this out.

2. It seems as you are the one going too fast for him. Remember, he played no instruments and you played multiple instruments and already knew theory. I think that is what the problem is, take it slower and teach him at a slower pace so he can get better, he has only been playing a year so you shouldn't expect him to play complicated stuff right away.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Man, I wish my name was Felix...

...anyhoo, if you can afford it, don't kick him out - tell him to try practicing more often, so that he'll be able to keep up with the lot of you.
Look, if the guy isn't pulling his weight, you boot him. You can do it nicely and keep an avenue open for him to rejoin later, but as I say in my 'condense' thread, if you want to take a band a seriously, there is no room for dead weight. It's that simple.
Quote by shadesofanger
1. Your friends have weird names, although you said a couple were from different countries, I just wanted to point this out.

2. It seems as you are the one going too fast for him. Remember, he played no instruments and you played multiple instruments and already knew theory. I think that is what the problem is, take it slower and teach him at a slower pace so he can get better, he has only been playing a year so you shouldn't expect him to play complicated stuff right away.

Quote by Josh Shiells
Man, I wish my name was Felix...

...anyhoo, if you can afford it, don't kick him out - tell him to try practicing more often, so that he'll be able to keep up with the lot of you.

Haha, well, we do go to an international school. But yeah, I think I'm going to need to slow down and teach him theory and stuff like that.

To koslack: do you think the best option would be to boot him again, leaving an option open for him to return later, and in the meantime play with him and teach him the stuff he doesnt know, playing songs he can do, etc...?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Give me his email and I'll link him too this page because "I hate you", *wink wink*. Problem solved.
Quote by DeadHouse
Give me his email and I'll link him too this page because "I hate you", *wink wink*. Problem solved.

Or send him a free gibson les paul, but he has to tell you his adress. Then me and deadhouse go around to his house to "negotiate"

*(PLEASE?!)
buy the guy a metronome to work out the timing issues
if he's writing the good riffs then let him write them and you write rhythm parts but just play each others
theory helps but over complicates things sometimes and means you sometimes look past the case of a just a simple catchy melody
sounds like my band's KEYTARIST. it could be much worse TS, much worse.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.