Hey all, I just bought myself a Yamaha FG730S. I was very happy with it; sounds very loud etc... I brought it home, started tuning the strings by ear (since the tuner didnt pick it up... I was used to tuning the strings with the tuner on my acoustic-electric and then all of a sudden the G string snaps So now I need to go out and buy new strings and learn how to do all of this, but I was wondering what are the best strings to get for this guitar?

The type of sound that I am hoping to get is one like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f38Ne96R3iE

Any help would be much appreciated, since I know nothing about strings, stringing guitars or even tuning.
Congrats on the new guitar!

Well, personally I like D'Addario Phosphor Bronze lights.

What I would do is get a set of medium guage and light guage strings and see which one feels better to you.

If you want strings that will hold a good tone for a long time, look into D'Addario EXP's or Elixir Nanowebs. Be warned though, coated/long life strings are much more expensive.

Martin makes good strings as well.

Just play around with them and eventually you'll find the right strings for you!

By the way, you should really change non-coated strings once about every 4-5 weeks so that you aren't playing on dead strings and think there is something wrong with the guitar.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Hi nantrone thanks for your response. It is just kind of sad. I am sitting here after just going out to the store to buy this guitar (my second guitar) and now its just sitting there broken. I want to play it so badly but can't... so I have to wait till tomorrow to go buy them at the store.

Is this the D'addario strings you're speaking of?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-EXP16-Coated-Phosphor-Bronze-Light-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings?sku=104340

There are so many kinds I have no idea which to pick and the difference in sound between them.
That would be them. I used those for a while until they just got too expensive for me and realized that I prefered the tone of the regular phosphor bronze strings to the EXP's, but I might switch back to the EXP's because they feel a lot smoother to me.

Here is a re-stringing tutorial from frets.com, which is one of the best acoustic knowledge sites on the web.

Also, a quick google search will bring up online guitar tuners so you can train yourself to tune by ear (something that I've neglected to do for way too long.)
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by guitardelicious
Hi nantrone thanks for your response. It is just kind of sad. I am sitting here after just going out to the store to buy this guitar (my second guitar) and now its just sitting there broken. I want to play it so badly but can't... so I have to wait till tomorrow to go buy them at the store.

Is this the D'addario strings you're speaking of?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-EXP16-Coated-Phosphor-Bronze-Light-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings?sku=104340

There are so many kinds I have no idea which to pick and the difference in sound between them.

psh you can still fool around with it without the string on it.

now for strings i like D`addario`s as well, it just depends on what kind of sound you want from it..

if you want something bright, go with phoshour bronze, if you want something warmer go with just playin bronze, and as you wear them out they will sound warmer,

if you want something almost classical sounding, get the silk n steel i believe they are called. =D
@Natrone

Thanks for those guides. I was actually using one of the online tuners when the string snapped. It seems that the first 3 strings were tuned properly, Just that G string... and I didn't attempt to tune the B and E strings.

The fear I have is of them snapping again. Say I buy a new set (and I will) and when I place them on tomorrow (that seems difficult/tedious) I just hope it doesn't snap. It's not a good experience to have, particularly because I liked the feel of these stock ones and because I don't know what I did wrong. I really dont feel like I over tuned it so much that the string could snap. My past guitar that I've had for a year the strings never snapped and if I was doing something wrong I would hear a creaking type noise. Here, it was nothing. Just a quick snap. It happened oh so fast.

@BalkanGitarist

I did fool around with it for a little bit... but its just not the same. It looks so injured and bare and I just don't have the heart to play with it after this situation.

It seems people like the D'addrio strings. But I have a question for you (or anyone else who would like to answer), the song that I posted, Daughters by John Mayer, what would you describe that to be:

bright, or warm? I am guessing warm but am not positively sure.
Quote by guitardelicious
@Natrone

Thanks for those guides. I was actually using one of the online tuners when the string snapped. It seems that the first 3 strings were tuned properly, Just that G string... and I didn't attempt to tune the B and E strings.

The fear I have is of them snapping again. Say I buy a new set (and I will) and when I place them on tomorrow (that seems difficult/tedious) I just hope it doesn't snap. It's not a good experience to have, particularly because I liked the feel of these stock ones and because I don't know what I did wrong. I really dont feel like I over tuned it so much that the string could snap. My past guitar that I've had for a year the strings never snapped and if I was doing something wrong I would hear a creaking type noise. Here, it was nothing. Just a quick snap. It happened oh so fast.

@BalkanGitarist

I did fool around with it for a little bit... but its just not the same. It looks so injured and bare and I just don't have the heart to play with it after this situation.

It seems people like the D'addrio strings. But I have a question for you (or anyone else who would like to answer), the song that I posted, Daughters by John Mayer, what would you describe that to be:

bright, or warm? I am guessing warm but am not positively sure.

id say thats warm
tune to DADXAA sounds sick, man

www.howtotuneaguitar.org

i think the lead guitar bart was warm, definitely not using elixirs.. but the rythm sounds KINDA bright...

just get D'addario phosphor bronze i guess... X_X
tune to DADXAA sounds sick, man

www.howtotuneaguitar.org

i think the lead guitar part was warm, definitely not using elixirs.. but the rythm sounds KINDA bright...

just get D'addario phosphor bronze i guess... X_X
It's kind of right in the middle. I think a little more on the bright side. Now, a good part of that is his guitar, but I think the Phosphor Bronze should do you just fine

Just remember to take it slow when you're tuning up. There's a good chance that the factory just didn't string it up right, or that it was just a faulty string.

And about re-stringing being tedious, I kind of like doing it. Just put on some music. That always helps pass time. And remember, take it SLOW. There is no need to rush re-stringing.

And if you like the feel of the stock ones, wrap them up (use the new strings for reference on this), put them in a ziplock bag, and keep them in a desk or something as spares so you don't have to rip open another new set for just one broken string. Saves you money, right?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Thanks guys I appreciate the replies. Looks like everyone feels the same as I do about the warmth of the song and that its a little bit of both. I think I will be getting the Phosphor Bronze D'Addorio's tomorrow. I'm still kind of apprehensive about this whole stringing thing, but it is something I need to learn.
Trust me, once you get the first few changes out of the way, it kind of becomes a good excuse to just sit and chill out for a half-hour or so, and it'll become something that you'll almost enjoy doing.

And don't be nervous! The more work you do on your own to your guitar the better you will understand your instrument.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray