Okay, heres the deal. I have an epiphone SG special right now and I know its nothing special.I am saving for a new guitar. I currently have about 30 dollars USD. I am gonna save around 4 or 5 hundred and I want to set a goal for a guitar. I play lots of blues and classic rock, but I like to get heavy with some metallica or megadeth. Usually never go lower than D tuning. Also I would a like a tremelo and two volume controls but they aren't a deal breaker. And I have a Peavey Transtube 258 EFX if that helps.
Fender MIM Strat?
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by sglover34479
Can they get heavy? Also can Ibanez Rg's get bluesy?

Listen to Iron Maiden or Yngwie if you want some examples of Strats in metal.

I recommend a Strat too.
*insert third strat recommendation here*
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
i'd say buy a cheaper HSS mim strat and get yourself a decent tube amp..
Quote by LSC300
i'd say buy a cheaper HSS mim strat and get yourself a decent tube amp..

I'm gona get a tube amp. I got the transtube as a compromise cause my parents wouldn't spend enough to get me a tube for x-mas.
single coils are not for metal. no matter how much u fender fanboys think they can be, they cant. Id look at the new kramer striker series. also, id stay away from ibanez in that price range, the trems are supposed to be horrible ( i havnt owned one but i see a lot of threads about peoples edge III s ****ing up )
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
if you're set on a strat get yourself an hss throw a seymour duncan jb and some locking tuners andyou're set
ac/dc752 is an idiot.

Kirk Hammett plays a Fender Strat in One.

I just got back from band practice where I used my buddy's Strat to play ****ing Death Metal on.
Quote by gilly_90
Which one is better?
Thanks
And an HSS would be better, I think.

Thought my buddy's MIA Strat Standard is stock and sounds fine running through Opeth.
Quote by gilly_90
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by ac/dc752
single coils are not for metal. no matter how much u fender fanboys think they can be, they cant.

Your an idiot.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/necrosis1193/music/all/play505952

Sure it's not that good, but hey, I'm a blues guy, not metal, and it's not as good as a humbucker. But they can be used for it. Case-and-point; Iron Maiden.

@TS; In previous years I would've said SSS, but now that they've added coil-tap, HSS.

Quote by necrosis1193
Your an idiot.

Sure it's not that good, but hey, I'm a blues guy, not metal, and it's not as good as a humbucker. But they can be used for it. Case-and-point; Iron Maiden.

@TS; In previous years I would've said SSS, but now that they've added coil-tap, HSS.

k.
Quote by necrosis1193
Your an idiot.

well thats not really a very good metal tone..

TS, to be honest..if you want a really good metal tone from a strat you're gonna have to either get an HSS with a good Bridge pickup like a Dimarzio, SD, EMG or replace ALL of the pickups in a SSS..but alas, the amp does most of the work.
yeah, singles can do smoother maiden alright but they really sound like ass when you crank the treble to get a dimebag/ angus type tone. Nd shining yreal he uses the strat for the clean parts and slow bluesy solos in it, when it gets to the tapping solo and hard chugging at the end he used one of his esps.( forget which one but he does those 24th fret bends which a strat obviously cant ) so **** off and get your **** straight before you call people idiots.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Quote by ac/dc752
yeah, singles can do smoother maiden alright but they really sound like ass when you crank the treble to get a dimebag/ angus type tone. Nd shining yreal he uses the strat for the clean parts and slow bluesy solos in it, when it gets to the tapping solo and hard chugging at the end he used one of his esps.( forget which one but he does those 24th fret bends which a strat obviously cant ) so **** off and get your **** straight before you call people idiots.

Then you as well my friend.

First, AC/DC is hard rock, not metal.

Second, have you noticed I recommended the TS an, I don't know, HSS config? I get a single-coil can't do heavier metal, hence why I still have my HH guitar.

Yeah, do what everyone else says. Go with SSH, H in the bridge. You can still get great bluesy tones and have a humbucking thick punch.
i know acdc aint metal i just used them as an example of a more trebley tone that singles cant handle.( and did he not say classic rock was one of his main focuses ? ) nd the **** off was directed at yrael since. srry bout that.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Quote by ac/dc752
i know acdc aint metal i just used them as an example of a more trebley tone that singles cant handle.( and did he not say classic rock was one of his main focuses ? ) nd the **** off was directed at yrael since. srry bout that.

Wait...single-coils...not trebly? My brain hurts...

And apology accepted.

I was using it as an example, still doesn't change the fact you're a goddamned idiot, as I regularly play a MIA SSS Strat which pulls off DEATH METAL. It's mostly the amp, any way.

Either way, you're a stupid bastard and the Strat is fine for what the **** he wants it for. Not to mention the fact he's being recommended an HSS strat.

Holy ****, RAGE!
Quote by gilly_90
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by ac/dc752
single coils are not for metal. no matter how much u fender fanboys think they can be, they cant. Id look at the new kramer striker series. also, id stay away from ibanez in that price range, the trems are supposed to be horrible ( i havnt owned one but i see a lot of threads about peoples edge III s ****ing up )

Genres in question are not metal, they're blue and Classic Rock. Listen to some Iron Maiden, strats with single coils and Metal can coexist.
Quote by sglover34479
I don't want a complicated whammy bar that will make it hard to tune to different tunings.

Then yeah, an HSS Standard should do your stuff fine. Hell, I managed to keep up with some metal earlier today with my bands other guitarist with an SSS strat.

Quote by necrosis1193
Then yeah, an HSS Standard should do your stuff fine. Hell, I managed to keep up with some metal earlier today with my bands other guitarist with an SSS strat.

Nice. So if I get the standard whammy on a MIM strat then tuning to like D and Eb won't be complicated right?
No the only thing is when you drop from E standard to D Standard you'll have to tune it a couple of times to set in, because of the trem system.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95