A lot. That's like asking the differance between Country music and Rock. We could sit here all day.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
A very fine line, usually seperated by what kind of colours they wear. Balck - emo, Bright - pop punk scene kid bullhonkey.
Nowadays Emo = anything metalheads think is ****.
Pop punk = Blink 182, +44, Simple Plan, Sum 41 (the early days, and the newest stuff)

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
blink-182, greenday, eve 6=pop-punk
armor for sleep, paramore, kill hannah= emo

inb4 rites of spring... you all know thats not the emo he's talking about
EDIT:^^Yeah, I know, but he asked what emo is, not what gets passed off as emo. /EDIT

None of the answers here have been decent. I'll try my best, but I'm sure a forum regular could do better, but here's a brief answer.

Emo branched off from the hardcore punk movement (particularly DC hardcore) in the 80s with bands such as Rites of Spring and Cap'n Jazz. It evolved a lot, and today has been pretty bastardized by the media. (can a regular clarify some detail there?)

Pop-punk originated with bands like the Ramones and the Buzzcocks in the 70s and is generally characterized and punk music with pop tendencies, such as harmonies, catchy melodies, and brighter tones. Pop-punk today has been bastardized too, thus the confusion with emo. A lot of bands like Fall Out Boy and Simple Plan have terms like pop-punk and emo thrown at them, but are really just pop-rock bands with a catchier tag. Good examples of pop-punk could be the Queers or the Mr. T Experience.

Hope I helped? The two have very little in common aside from some newer bands with the label.
DOWN&OUT
Last edited by Jett Diamond at Jan 2, 2009,
Quote by Jett Diamond
None of the answers here have been decent. I'll try my best, but I'm sure a forum regular could do better, but here's a brief answer.

Emo branched off from the hardcore punk movement (particularly DC hardcore) in the 80s with bands such as Rites of Spring and Cap'n Jazz. It evolved a lot, and today has been pretty bastardized by the media. (can a regular clarify some detail there?)

Pop-punk originated with bands like the Ramones and the Buzzcocks in the 70s and is generally characterized and punk music with pop tendencies, such as harmonies, catchy melodies, and brighter tones. Pop-punk today has been bastardized too, thus the confusion with emo. A lot of bands like Fall Out Boy and Simple Plan have terms like pop-punk and emo thrown at them, but are really just pop-rock bands with a catchier tag.

Hope I helped?

This seems right.

I'm not really a forum regular though.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.