All,

I have tried the trial for Widi audio to midi vst but find the eval copy useless in terms of actually evaluating the plugin....

I love the idea of driving my vst synths etc with my guitar instead of a midi keyboard, so my questions are:

1)Has anyone paid for the full widi audio to midi vst plugin, and if so, is it worth it/any good?

2) any alternatives - perhaps non vst/input from wav file?

Thanks in advance for any help

EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Have you considered adding MIDI pickups to your guitar? Roland's GK3 and GI-20 interface could drive your synths without the need to drill.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Have you considered adding MIDI pickups to your guitar? Roland's GK3 and GI-20 interface could drive your synths without the need to drill.

I have, but it would set me back £150+ whereas the widi vst plugin is around £35 + is a lot more convenient.

I would expect the roland guitar synth stuff to be pretty good these days (they've had enough practise over the years!), but from the testing I have done so far, the Widi vst seems to hold up for what i want to do (bass lines + the odd chord).

Its just a pain that it interrupts every 15 ruddy seconds so you dont really even get the chance to set levels etc.

If I just had the chance to record a simlpe bassline and it had worked I would have bought the thing already!!

Primarily what I want to do is get decent basslines etc down on my tracks and was thinking of buying a cheap bass guitar - but this way looks better, cheaper + I dont have to mess around fixing up and old bass.

It's wierd though, I would have thought that there wouled be more people into guitar to midi these days but I'm beginning to think I'm the only one!
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
For probably a few pounds more, seriously, get a used bass in a pawn shop or something. It will sound better than midi-triggered samples (probably), and it will be another *actual* instrument you own instead of a virtual one.

Aside from that, there are some freeware vst plugs that will convert a wav to midi, but I don't think they will do what you want. For instance, it will take a wav impulse, like say a snare drum that you recorded poorly or hate the tone of, and convert it to a midi event. You could then take that midi event and use it to trigger a better sounding snare sample. The live nature of your performance is kept intact, but you are replacing a poor sound with a better one.

Your situation is a bit different in that you want this plug in to differentiate a lot of extra data - particularly pitch and dynamics. I would expect that some plugins will assess the dynamics of an audio event before converting it to a midi event, but pitch.... I'm not so sure.

I believe, to get all the relevant data for a musical performance - pitch, dynamics, expression, note on, note off, etc. - I think you will need to get a midi pickup.

Another possibility... can you learn to futz about on a keyboard? Get a cheap keyboard midi controller to actually input your bass line as midi data into your sequencer, and use that to trigger a bass VSTi.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by TSMusic
Check your PM's, I sent you one about all this

Tony

Just reply to the thread if you are willing to help.
Others can use the information too, and it prevents the thread from being created 100 times.