I've been contemplating setting up a dedicated server for a game i play, but i am confused on what i need to do this, so here are my questions:

do i need a separate computer for it?
do i have to pay some sort of fee?
can someone find me a steb by step instruction on making a server?

thanks UG
i did this once, its pretty stupid and easy, theres youtube tutorials just search "how to make _____ private server" and unless you wan't to pay only like up to 10 people can play on the server, or else you'll have to host it (costs ALOT of dough)
yeah you have to keep a host computer running 24/7.

also youll have to be paying for bandwidth.

a hella load of money. GL
My Rig
------------------
Schecter Damien 6 (mod with 81/85 emg)
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Digitech RP250 (for Sale)
Quote by Taygunov
i did this once, its pretty stupid and easy, theres youtube tutorials just search "how to make _____ private server" and unless you wan't to pay only like up to 10 people can play on the server, or else you'll have to host it (costs ALOT of dough)

when i play i look for servers with less than 10 people, so that isnt an issue really... and my computer is on all the time anyway.

also, my computer isn't that powerful and has minimal hard drive space, will this be an issue?
Ok...

Well you will need a dedicated pc...a DEDICATED server for that reason.

You'll need to buy a pre-armed one or make one yourself...IF you are into that of course.

I am into making PC's (I made mine) and if you aren't...here is the easiest of suggestions:

Rent one. Seriously, is GAY cheap and there's a lot of advantages:

You have full admin (of course you'll have on yours too...but still!)
You won't need to put one together and then setting up whatever OS you'd like (Linux, Windows Server, etc)
You won't need to have it physically in your room

I think they are like 60 bucks a month. Plus you'll get a great ping. Because I actually forgot...to run your own dedicated server you'll need better broadband....so that's that!

EDIT: To your last post TS. YES you'll need a fairly competitive pc.

I used to have a rented private server to play CS 1.6 scrims with my clan [when we were on the heyday...] and it was kind of cheap and badass, because the companies that rent them have top notch ****.
Member of the Grammar Nazi Club. PM Your41Plague12 to Join.

Member #6 of the Orange Tiny Terror Club
Last edited by Pertenozzo at Jan 2, 2009,
Quote by Pertenozzo
Ok...

Well you will need a dedicated pc...a DEDICATED server for that reason.

You'll need to buy a pre-armed one or make one yourself...IF you are into that of course.

I am into making PC's (I made mine) and if you aren't...here is the easiest of suggestions:

Rent one. Seriously, is GAY cheap and there's a lot of advantages:

You have full admin (of course you'll have on yours too...but still!)
You won't need to put one together and then setting up whatever OS you'd like (Linux, Windows Server, etc)
You won't need to have it physically in your room

I think they are like 40 bucks a month. Plus you'll get a great ping. Because I actually forgot...to run your own dedicated server you'll need better broadband....so that's that!

yeah...

fuck that.
Oh well at least I tried.

Quote by Pertenozzo
Seriously, is GAY cheap and there's a lot of advantages:

I challenge your grammar nazi-ness. Foolz.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
What game?
How many slots?

Its usually cheaper to rent server space from a company.. because then you will get a deticated IP adress.. if you host from your house you will have ****ty pings because of your poor ISP connection, less preformance becase you are hosting a server and still using your computer and also poor downtime because you probably don't have the proper scripts to keep your game server running.

I recomend http://gameservers.com see if they have your game..
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
I had that problem on Halo a while back. Made the dedi but I couldn't play on it. If you get another computer it's quite easy to set up. what game do you play?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Lots O' FX
Why do you hate America?
Quote by Seth Shadows
I challenge your grammar nazi-ness. Foolz.

Dude, I was excited...

Expensive unless you use it to pay for itself - with some experience it will pay off and keep your gaming free.
General Web Directory and Search Engine

About the life the Universe and all the rest...
what game.

a decent comp can run a cs 1.6 (assuming thats what you're talking about) dedicated server for up to like 10 players with no lag

really, any other game though and you'll need to rent one.
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.