ok i was fidling around on the guitar last night and i came up with this scale, the one i wrote down was
A# C C# D# E G# A B
its an 8 note scale so i wasnt sure if it already has a name
anyone know if it already know if it exists
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
I tried playing the scale and i defenitly know the scale and used it in a song i wrote before but i cant remmber the name...
Quote by F8iscruel

A# C C# D# E G# A B

So A, A#, B, C, C#, D#, E, G#

well the first five notes are entirely chromatic. Then there's a whole tone gap and two more chromatic notes, followed by a 3/2 step gap which leads back to chromaticism.

Personally I wouldn't call this a scale, it's basically the chromatic scale and you've missed a few notes.
well when you play it starting from a# it gets a nice for lack of a better term "vampiric" sound for me
kinda in this shape

|-00-0
|-00--
|0-00-
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Last edited by F8iscruel at Jan 2, 2009,
Yes but then, while it might be in the scale, it's not the scale itself, it's a riff.

By all means use it that way, but a scale is a collection of notes. You're playing a collection of notes in a certain order.
i understand that some of it was chromatic but still, it can be cosidered a scale cant it, as the chromatic is a scale itself
just wanted to know.
and also my main point was just to find out if it already had a name (as im sure it dfoes and i didnt want to give it an incorrect name when i told others about it)
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
You might want to write the notes in order:
A A# B C C# D# E G#

Steps are:
half half half half whole whole half whole+half

I don't know how to name it [sorry] but I hope that helps.
Calling it a scale is pointless, as it would be next to impossible to establish a relationship between the notes. It;s just a chromatic run.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by F8iscruel
i understand that some of it was chromatic but still, it can be cosidered a scale cant it, as the chromatic is a scale itself
just wanted to know.
and also my main point was just to find out if it already had a name (as im sure it dfoes and i didnt want to give it an incorrect name when i told others about it)

With a scale however, every note has to be repeated in every octave.

The six notes of chromaticism leads me to believe that this is just the chromatic scale. In your typical scale there should be some degrees of organised seperation, such as the half-whole scale.
TS, what if you put it this way:

Bb C Db Eb Fb G# A Bb

It's the same thing but it's more appropiate to write the scale that way because you're not repeating notes like the C, as you we're doing.
Quote by TrasherFromHell

Bb C Db Eb Fb G# A Bb

It's the same thing but it's more appropiate to write the scale that way because you're not repeating notes like the C, as you we're doing.

You missed the B, which pretty much ruins your point, but you're right to do things that way with diatonic scales. However, this one is octatonic.
im stating this with no intention of arguing so please dont think im trying to.
im playing it on my gutiar as we speak and ive come up with a box for it ill put it below and im using a seven string so im adding that in as well
|0-00
|0---0
|0-0-0
|0-00
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by TrasherFromHell

Bb C Db Eb Fb G# A Bb

ill remeber that thank you i was just going of of how my tuner stated it

EDIT
I didnt realize you didnt have the B in there and seeing the post below this one, thats not what i want to do i wanted to figure out the name of the scale as it pertained to being octotonic (<seems like the pest term)
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Last edited by F8iscruel at Jan 2, 2009,
Quote by colohue
You missed the B, which pretty much ruins your point, but you're right to do things that way with diatonic scales. However, this one is octatonic.

Well the thing about that, is I did that intetionally because as a diatonic scale the B would not really be part of it, it would be more like an accidental note. Once the scale goes back around to it's root, the following notes must remain the same for it to stay as that scale; hence that B is not part of the scale in theory, but is not necessarily wrong to play that note as long as you know that it is not part of the scale.
Quote by TrasherFromHell
Well the thing about that, is I did that intetionally because as a diatonic scale the B would not really be part of it, it would be more like an accidental note. Once the scale goes back around to it's root, the following notes must remain the same for it to stay as that scale; hence that B is not part of the scale in theory, but is not necessarily wrong to play that note as long as you know that it is not part of the scale.

Doing that however, would be avoiding the scale the threadstarter is asking about. Worse it would be altering it to suit your own needs and to make it fit.

As a diatonic scale you would be right. This is not a diatonic scale.
Quote by colohue
Doing that however, would be avoiding the scale the threadstarter is asking about. Worse it would be altering it to suit your own needs and to make it fit.

As a diatonic scale you would be right. This is not a diatonic scale.

Ok, can you explain in your terms what the octatonic scale means?

From what I understand it is an eight-note scale without counting the root-note at the end. In the TS's scale the B goes outside those notes that are in between the roots:

A# C C# D# E G# A ? B

Besides the point that it isn't written correctly, the root note is missing at the end and instead it has another note (B) that goes outside the scale.
And to put it the way I wrote it down;

Bb C Db Eb Fb G# A Bb

for the scale to be an octatonic scale it should have another note in there, but it doesn't, so I wouldn't actually consider it an octatonic scale because the eight notes would have to be between the root and it's octave, counting the root note ofcourse.
okay o get what i did wrong i didnt make the scale full circle your right

if it was an actual scale it would have to have a repetition of the starting note (being A# in this case)

so what is this 9 tone scale called
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
okay o get what i did wrong i didnt make the scale full circle your right

if it was an actual scale it would have to have a repetition of the starting note (being A# in this case)

so what is this 9 tone scale called

It's not called anything because establishing a relationship between the notes would be impossible. Even calling it a scale is ridiculous. It's just a chromatic run.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Also even if it was a scale it wouldn't be a 9 tone scale. The Major Scale is a 7 tone scale, because it has 7 tones in it. Your chromatic line has 8 tones in it, not 9. The repetition is irrelevant.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by F8iscruel
im stating this with no intention of arguing so please dont think im trying to.
im playing it on my gutiar as we speak and ive come up with a box for it ill put it below and im using a seven string so im adding that in as well
|0-00
|0---0
|0-0-0
|0-00

Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by TrasherFromHell
Ok, can you explain in your terms what the octatonic scale means?

A# C C# D# E G# A ? B

Bb C Db Eb Fb G# A Bb

for the scale to be an octatonic scale it should have another note in there, but it doesn't, so I wouldn't actually consider it an octatonic scale because the eight notes would have to be between the root and it's octave, counting the root note ofcourse.

Yes it does. The B is a note included. It's not a Bb, it's a B. Hence if it were a scale it would have the B inclusive, not as an accidental. In my terms an octatonic scale is a scale containing eight notes. Diatonic being seven, pentatonic being five. An example would be the half-whole scale.

However, this is just a chromatic run. Technically there is a chromatic scale, this is it.
Quote by colohue
Yes it does. The B is a note included. It's not a Bb, it's a B. Hence if it were a scale it would have the B inclusive, not as an accidental. In my terms an octatonic scale is a scale containing eight notes. Diatonic being seven, pentatonic being five. An example would be the half-whole scale.

However, this is just a chromatic run. Technically there is a chromatic scale, this is it.

You know what, I think we're both right in different ways. The way I see it and have explained it is corrent because if the 'scale' the TS wrote was to be played in that order (A# C C# D# E G# A B) it would be wrong to add the B after the root's octave and call it a scale; if the B was not played it could be some sort of scale.
But I think that if you reorganize the notes from this A# C C# D# E G# A B to this A A# B C C# D# E G# then yes you would be right to call it an octatonic chromatic scale.

I was looking at it in terms of going from A# to C to C#, etc in which case the intervals would be M2 m2 M2 m2 M3 m2 M2 but the way you put it it's purely chromatic, so I think it depends on the way you apply it.
Last edited by TrasherFromHell at Jan 4, 2009,