ok quick question. i know that raising and lowering the pickups has certain affects on the tone and sensitivity of it, but which does which (as in raising it makes it deeper, warmer, what?) and what happens if you dont excactly have it level between all the strings?
i have pretty much the same question, because my neck humbucker is pretty muddy, and i was wondering if raising it some might clean up the sound
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
i think a bunch of people do, coencidence?
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
If you raise your pickups you will get a hotter sound out of them. This does not mean that they will sound better, but more sensitive. Negatively adjusting these can cause intonation issues as well. You want to slightly adjust and check the tone. Most people adjust the pickups and play the guitar noticing that when they play higher up the neck, the pickups hit the strings.. this is a no no. put your finger on the 22/24th fret and adjust accordingly.

The difference? when i practice i like a hotter sound. when I plug in and play live with an overdriven amp at 10, you will get noise and feed back...
- Kramer Stagemaster
- Kramer Pacer Custom 1
- Ibanez USA Custom EW
- Jackson SlatQH Soloist
- Martin D-41
- Breedlove artist
- Marshal JVM410 w/1960a 4x12
- PodXT live
Raising the height of a pickup pros:
- More output
- Reacts better to harmonics

Raising height cons:
- Less sustain (more magnetic pull on the strings)
- Less clarity/muddier tone
- Reacts worse to subtle playing styles (such as picking the strings softer/harder, playing fingerstyle, etc)

Wildcard effect:
- More bass response (up to you whether this is a good or bad thing).

Generally if you have cheaper pickups, it is better to lower them no matter what you play. If you have good pickups and you play hard rock and metal it can be a good idea to raise them, though for other types of playing it's best to either leave them where they are or lower them a bit. Really though it's all down to personal preference.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
the closer the pickups are to the strings the louder and more senstive the strings become, and its pertty much the oppisite the other way, and the strings should be level with each other, just makes it look nice to me, and a little easyer to play, but picky players will mess with the hights of the strings from the pickups to acheave certian tones.
Quote by ethan_hanus
the closer the pickups are to the strings the louder and more senstive the strings become, and its pertty much the oppisite the other way, and the strings should be level with each other, just makes it look nice to me, and a little easyer to play, but picky players will mess with the hights of the strings from the pickups to acheave certian tones.

How your pickups "look" isn't remotely relevant when changing the height. It's a musical instrument, it makes sound...that's what your concern is. I don't know anyone who doesn't have wonky pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i'm just gonna throw this out there and say that I like my active pickups (blackouts or emgs, i use both) around 2mm from the string when fretted at the 24th for the bridge, and about 1.5mm for the neck. This causes serious feedback when not playing the strings, but gives a warmer, fatter, bassier sound with lots of harmonics that i luv (only play hard rock/metal really).

But i'm considering lowering the neck pickup a tad for easier harmonics playing sitting down.