Ok I've been studying and trying to figure out these things:

-How on earth you use a scale to make a solo
-How you can learn a solo from a song by finding the scale used
-Determining the key(s) a song is using

Well I thought I was starting to get the theory but I cant figure it out, and it's pretty frustrating lol... I understand major and minor scales, intervals and pentatonic scales and all that pretty well..

So if anyone can give me a link to a guide, break it down for me, or really just shed some light on the subject for me . I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

~Ex
Generally a scale is used as a set of reference notes when you want to get a particular
sound over the chords. Quite frequently, the chords used will clearly indicate the
soloing scale, or choice of scales. Scales can be broken down and re-organized in lots
of musically interesting ways (if you just practice "going up & down" the scale you're
not getting a lot of benefit out of them). Additionally, the progression as a whole and
temporally as each chord goes by, will tend to define how the notes of the scale function.
Knowing that, you can use a scale a lot more intelligently.

If you know what scale/key a song uses, it makes it a lot easier to figure out. You'll
definitely tend to see a lot more notes from the scale than not. But, you can still use
whatever notes you want.
Ok so I need to learn more about chords... And you said you break down a scale and re-organize it, so if I take the E minor pentatonic scale in a boxed position like this: (at least this is what I think it is...)

|--------------------------0-3--------|
|---------------------0-3-------------|
|----------------0-2------------------|
|-----------0-2-----------------------|
|------0-2----------------------------|
|-0-3---------------------------------|

What are some things I can do to re-organize it?

And another thing, I don't understand how these notes follow the E minor scale...
Last edited by Ex Shred at Jan 3, 2009,
1. You shouldn't approach it like that, or else your solo will probably sound pretty boring no matter what. Just find a series of notes within the scale that you think sounds pretty sweet together. They don't have to be next to each other in the order of the scales. Use small slides, like from the 12th to 14th fret, or huge ones. Try starting on wrong notes or notes that aren't in the scale, and slide or bend up to ones that are in the scale. If you're bending a string, say the high E, and you've bent it far enough so you're also bending the B string a bit, try playing the B as well for a gritty sound. Just do whatever to express yourself and get your point across. Don't ignore vibrato either. If you find yourself holding a note for a while, shake that string!

2. I can't help you with that. That comes from experience with trial and error, or a good ear.

3. Try to find the note that the song would resolve to, or the note that the song would probably end on for it to sound nice and complete.

Quote by Ex Shred
Ok so I need to learn more about chords... And you said you break down a scale and re-organize it, so if I take the E minor pentatonic scale in a boxed position like this: (at least this is what I think it is...)

And another thing, I don't understand how these notes follow the E minor scale...

Play it in a different position so it starts on a different note, and other notes feel more comfortable to bend and do double stops with and such. Like this.

e - - - - - - - - - - - - 7 9 
B - - - - - - - - - - 8 10 
G - - - - - - - - 7 9 
D - - - - - - 7 9
A - - - 7 10 
E - 7 10 

That was off the top of my head so it might be wrong... anyway, it's different because it starts on B instead of E, but it's still the same E minor pentatonic because it has the same notes. Just rearranged.

Also, play notes in different orders within the scale. For example, instead of playing 12 15 on the E and then 12 14 on the A, you could play 12 15 on the E and then 14 12 on the A. You don't even have to play strings next to each other, you can skip strings.

Instead of playing this lick:

e - - - - - - - - - - - - 
B - - - - - - - - - - 
G - - - - - - - -
D - - - - - - 0 2
A - - - 0 2 
E - 0 3 

Play this lick:

e - - - - - - - - - - - -
B - - - - - - - - - - 
G - - - - - - 0 - -
D - - - - - - - 2 - 
A - - - 2 0 - - - -
E - 0 3 - - - - 
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by Ex Shred

That's not a scale as such, that's just one place where the notes of a certain scale occur. You shouldn't be thinking of a scale in terms of a pattern , you should think of it in terms of what it sounds like and the notes and intervals it contains...the patterns just help you locate the places you can play it. Edg wasn't talking about physically rearranging the shape, he meant how you arrange the notes, and therefore the sounds.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com