Finally, after about a year of searching (and asking you all for advice about 100 times) I got a new amp! It's a Peavey JSX head with a Mesa Rectifier 4x12 cab, and I got them used for a little over $1600 (USD)! Now, while I absolutely love this setup, I had a few questions (I'm new to tube amps).

First off, I noticed when playing the amp that, of the four power tubes, only three are glowing, whereas the fourth one is completely dark...does this mean that I need to replace the tube? If i do have to replace the tube, I think i should replace them all, since its used, so i dont know how new or old the tubes are...any tube suggestions? ( I play high gain stuff like Killswitch Engage and other "heavy" music, but I still love to have cleans)

Going along with the tube question, I noticed that the Ultra channel is missing that heavier tone that I want out of it. Now, I'm not too good at EQ-ing it, though I've found some pretty good tones. Is it possible that the power tube, if its not working, would be the cause of this lack of power?

Thanks alot, and also thanks to the people that helped me decide which amp to get...i was set on a peavey 6505, but after trying the JSX, i just loved the cleans. Oh and dont worry fellow UGers, pics will come soon!
clips and pix or its all LIES
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Congrats on your buy. Awesome stuff. I demand pics.

I am 99% for sure that the dead tube is causing that lack of power.

As a test, try taking out the tube, wiping down the pins and re-inserting it. Be sure to wipe down the tube before you put it back in, try not to leave fingerprints on it, because they could burn off when the tubes are hot and pop the glass. If it still doesn't glow after cleaning the pins, switch it with another tube in the power amp line to see if it is the tubes problem, or the tube connection port. Hopefully it is the tube's problem.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
It could be the tube. Personally I would try giving the amp a firm hit to the side.(works for my VCR) If that doesn't work then it might need changed.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

i always see you asking for clips and pics but you never offer to help when theres a question, whats the deal?

and try unhooking and re-hooking your tubes.
Hey, thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll have to try that tomorrow (its getting late). As for pics, I took pictures, but my internet browser is being screwy, and I cant insert links or anything, so I'll try first thing tomorrow. If it ends up being the tube, what would be good replacement tubes to look into, and where can I buy tubes? Thanks guys
it's either a bad tube, or a bad part somewhere. All the tubes should be glowing a healthy orange. It's always a good idea to change tubes in a used amp anyway, especially when you don't know the previous owner. Change all of them if you can afford it. Dougs Tubes or Tubedepot are a couple good vendors with reasonable prices and good service.

BTW, DO NOT don't smack your amp to see if it will start working, lol.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by locosenor13
Hey, thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll have to try that tomorrow (its getting late). As for pics, I took pictures, but my internet browser is being screwy, and I cant insert links or anything, so I'll try first thing tomorrow. If it ends up being the tube, what would be good replacement tubes to look into, and where can I buy tubes? Thanks guys

you can buy tubes here
http://www.tubedepot.com/index.html
feel free to add me
You should replace all of the tubes after all it is used and once you put in fresh new tubes you'll notice a major difference in sound.

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

+1
I leik music
Finally, some pics of the amp! As for clips, I don't have recording equipment yet, so sadly that'll have to wait

Hope you like!
Looks shiny!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
VERY VERY VERY SHINY !

ignore my first post then its all TRUE!!
im still waiting for my amp
feel free to add me
Quote by locosenor13
aw, hang in there guy! what kind of amp?

engl powerball
or if i could find one used for $2000 ENGl INVADER or some kind of MESA REC
but im all set with the powerball a guy here is selling it for me $1300 in mint condition but if i didnt buy it before summer he will sell it to someone else
feel free to add me
I have the same amp and cab, check my profile.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Another question about tubes: I'm going to replace all of the tubes in the amp, that way i start off with a fresh tone and i know that all the tubes are the same age and condition...now, I went to tube depot, and I found Tung-Sol Tesla 6L6GC power tubes. Would these give me a nice heavy gain tone? Also, does anyone know what type of preamp tube the JSX uses? is it 12ax7? Thanks for all your help, and yes, my amp is VERY shiny haha