Page 1 of 2
I was watching "Reservoir Dogs" last night on IFC and I was thinking to myself, "Tarantino has made quite a few impressive films." I also got to thinking about other favorites of mine and Kevin Smith came right up. They are pretty similar. They both started out as independent directors and reached critical acclaim with their respective works.

So my question to you, pit, is who is the better director?

If this is classified as a VS thread, I apologize in advance.
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
I prefer Tarantino, I expect a lot of ' Trying to make another Pulp Fiction' Posts to follow.
Which isn't even true. Yeah Pulp Fiction was fucking nuts, But so were
Kill Bill And Resevoir Dogs.
Last edited by ShaunDiel at Jan 2, 2009,
Kevin Smith.

As if you didn't see that coming.

But, really though, he is probably my most favorite director ever. His humor is just amazing, and his minimalist (that word looks strange spelled out....) cinematic style are some of my most favorite things about him.

Tarantino is great, as well, and I love how eccentric he is, but I just simply prefer Smith.

I don't think Smith is "better" than Tarantino, though, Smith's style just appeals to me more than Quentin's.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by fallenangel20
Kevin Smith.

But, really though, he is probably my most favorite director ever. His humor is just amazing, and his minimalist (that word looks strange spelled out....) cinematic style are some of my most favorite things about him.

Tarantino is great, as well, and I love how eccentric he is, but I just simply prefer Smith.

I don't think Smith is "better" than Tarantino, though, Smith's style just appeals to me more than Quentin's.

Agreed.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Tarantino, imo, has made better movies in the past, but his current endeavors seem to be flagging.
I refuse to put anything that masturbates my ego in my sig.
I prefer Tarantino; he is my number 1 favorite director, honestly. Don't get me wrong, Smith is every bit as good, I just have my preferences.
Hold the Heathen hammer high!
Quote by A Rolling Stone
Tarantion by far, Pulp fiction is IMMORTAL!!

"Do they speak English in What?!"

I'll agree. My favourite movie ever.
Neither matches my personal taste real well, but I respect what both have done. I'll argue that Tarantino has both left a larger mark on other film makers and the whole film industry and I also think he is a bit superior to Smith in overall artistry, though it's certainly hard to compare them since they focus on different genres.

Kinda off topic--I just bought a Coen brothers' 5 pack collection. Those are some film makers with a distinct style that I really really like.
After sitting through the 2 hour-long, self-indugent, mind-numbingly boring shitfest that was Death Proof, I lost all respect for Tarantino as a director and as a person. Honest to god, an hour and fifty-five minutes of obnoxious bitches talking about jack shit and menstruating all over themselves, followed by 5 minutes of an ultra badass chase scene is pretty much the biggest cockslap any director could lay on his viewer. Fuck Quentin Tarantino.

Mark my words, if I ever meet him in real life, I am going to kick him square in the balls, and tell him my feelings on that movie. Serves the cumguzzler right.

On the other hand, Kevin Smith wrote Dogma.

The nigga made Dogma.

I rest my case.
Last edited by CrucialGutchman at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by ShaunDiel
You best be trollin'.

Nope. I really don't like it. I like all of Tarantino's other movies though.
Well I can sit down any time and pop in Chasing Amy or Dogma. But I have to be in a mood for Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown. So I'm gonna say Smith.
I kinda feel Tarantino is over-rated, he's a good director, but nothing more IMO. Then again Reservoir Dogs and Sin City are the only movies of his I like. I agree with -O_O- about pulp fiction, and I strongly dislike the Kill Bill movies aswell. Whenever someone brings it up I tell them to watch City of Violence instead, because it's like Kill Bill but doesn't suck.

On the other hand, if nothing else at least Smith movies will make me laugh, so in my book he wins. Plus he made dogma, and clerks.
though i think both are amazing id have to say i prefer Smith
Gear

Ibanez RG1451 (Bareknuckle Aftermath bridge, Cold Sweat neck)
Jackson DK2T(Bareknuckle Miracle Man bridge,SD Jazz neck)
Ibanez RG321mh(SD JB bridge)
Epiphone SG-400,
Ibanez RG370DX,
Vintage V6

Pod X3 into KRK RP8 G2's
Quote by fallenangel20
Kevin Smith.

Really? Shocker, fallenangel!

I agree though.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I've seen no Smith at all -__-

But Tarantino is ****ing amazing anyway, i don't care what anyone says. Pulp Fiction and Reservior (spelling...) dogs my two favourite films of all time.
Tarantino is a bad director... He is 100% dependent on shock value (except Pulp fiction and resevoir dogs which I thought were good). There's nothing more to his directing than shock value.

Smith is a much better director. He actually makes good movies consistently, unlike Tarantino who just has a fetish for absurd violence.
Quote by fallenangel20
Kevin Smith.

Tarantino is good but his films don't really appeal to me, and everything fallenangel said is correct.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by pwnerer
Tarantino is a bad director... He is 100% dependent on shock value (except Pulp fiction and resevoir dogs which I thought were good). There's nothing more to his directing than shock value.

That's not true, but I think his films are somewhat superficial.

Although I'm not a fan of either and I think both are overrated, I'm gonna say Tarantino. Pulp Fiction is a great film and Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown were alright films. The only good Kevin Smith film I have seen is Clerks.
Quote by CrucialGutchman
After sitting through the 2 hour-long, self-indugent, mind-numbingly boring shitfest that was Death Proof, I lost all respect for Tarantino as a director and as a person. Honest to god, an hour and fifty-five minutes of obnoxious bitches talking about jack shit and menstruating all over themselves, followed by 5 minutes of an ultra badass chase scene is pretty much the biggest cockslap any director could lay on his viewer. Fuck Quentin Tarantino.

Mark my words, if I ever meet him in real life, I am going to kick him square in the balls, and tell him my feelings on that movie. Serves the cumguzzler right.

The nigga made Dogma.

I rest my case.

All that I wanted to say about Tarantino has been said here. Smith is my preference.
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.
Of those two I'd say Tarantino, mainly because most of his films have an artistic and often disjointed quality, which makes them stand out for me.

Some of Kevin Smith's films are funny and well written, but as far as direction goes, they are nothing really out of the ordinary.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
My wallet says 'Bad Motherfucker.'
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.
Tarantino is the movie-making equivalent of a homeless guy foraging for food scraps in dumpsters

Smith is kinda funny sometimes

But Ed Wood made a greater contribution to film than Quentin Tarantino
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by Jehuty
Anyone else who preferred Reservoir Dogs over Pulp Fiction?

Not really, Reservoir Dogs is a good movie but Pulp Fiction has humour, action and an excellent plot. Doesn't get better than that.
"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people.. Otherwise, there would be no religious people."
Quote by CrucialGutchman

The nigga made Dogma.

I rest my case.

I disagree.

I think the violence in QT's films get hyped up so much that it becomes all people want to see in his films. His real talent comes in the dialogue he writes, thats what made death proof and Kill Bill pt2 so good to me was the everyday chatter amongst the characters in between the violence.

I mean what do people remember more in Pulp Fiction, Sam L and JT shooting up an appartment, or Johnny Travolta's discussing the sexual nature of a foot rub, or what types of fast foods are eaten in Europe.

Tarantino's films are about taking a flashy hyped up genre and finding the everyman in them. The domestics of Hunny Bunny or Bill as a father. These are the type of depth of character that set Tarantino apart from other slick action directors.

That and he is damn funny.

I don't think he relys on shock, people just expect it from him.
Good Charlotte sounds like...uh...they sound like...um...well, they taste like a popsicle stick thats been shoved up someones ass -Eddie Vedder

REMEMBER DISCO: All stupid fads go away with time. STOP COMPLAINING
I don't find Kevin Smith films funny if i'm honest, so i'm going for tarantino. Kevin Smith did do the video to because i got high, and i like that song so he gets kudos there.
Quote by israels_son
His real talent comes in the dialogue he writes

Couldn't agree more there.
Sig space available, give me some praise
Last edited by ross1234 at Jan 18, 2009,
Tarantino. I HATED Mallrats. I actually didn't like Reservoir Dogs either. Much preferred Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill.

I'm more a fan of David Lynch, Danny Boyle, Christopher Nolan, Spike Jonze (Adaptation is my favourite movie of all time).
Page 1 of 2