Hey guys, for some reason I have this thing going on in my head where I seem to think the Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 is only for tube amps and I'm not sure if it's true or false lol? So is it only for tube amps? I have no idea why I seem to think this maybe I read it somewhere idk lol. Thanks

Edit: oh and one more thing is fine to just buy a new one from a music store or are the new ones not as good? btw I don't have a tube amp
No its not excusively for tube amps. But thats where it shines.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
get the maxon od9 instead
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
It is an overdrive pedal meaning it is meant to drive an amp's distortion harder. Not really sure how to explain it.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
because it's an overdrive pedal, usually used to push a tube amp harder and/or tighten up the sound a bit.

edit: to the post above me.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Last edited by mikeyElite at Jan 2, 2009,
hm.. tube screamer.. works better ona tube amp? madness..
But, you can use it on a SS amp.. but it wouldn't be as good
The point of an overdriven pedal is to try to emulate the sound of an overdriven tube amp, not magically overdrive it at lower volumes. Some people use OD pedals like the Tubescreamer as a boost by turning down the drive and turning up the volume on the pedal but your amp already needs to be on the verge of overdriving. It will work fine on a SS amp, though personally I think the Tubescreamer is pretty crappy through any amp.
Quote by xXguitard00dXx
so then it probably wouldn't be worth me getting one then since I don't have a tube amp would it?

what amp are you trying to use it on, and what sound are you trying to achieve ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
The point of an overdriven pedal is to try to emulate the sound of an overdriven tube amp, not magically overdrive it at lower volumes. Some people use OD pedals like the Tubescreamer as a boost by turning down the drive and turning up the volume on the pedal but your amp already needs to be on the verge of overdriving. It will work fine on a SS amp, though personally I think the Tubescreamer is pretty crappy through any amp.

... whats why it's the the industries most legendary overdrive.

I own one, it sounds great with both my Les Paul and Strat, particularly for adding sustain and just alittle crunch without sounding too raunchy. When I'm using it with my strat through my Blues Junior, I do turn down the drive and turn up the volume, and the effect is pure Stevie Ray. If you turn down the level, and up the gain, I get nice Clapton.

OP, I've used it with my friends SS amps, and I have to say I'm not impressed.
On the Les Paul, it's pure Zeppelin with the TS.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
... whats why it's the the industries most legendary overdrive.

I'd mostly blame that on the fact that the first models were amazing and the ones they put out now aren't anywhere near that in terms of sound quality, plus many artists used them and made them visible. SRV for instance used two.

That said the Tubescreamer IS a decent pedal, but not my first choice for overdrive. I think it has too little gain and a bit too much of a mid boost.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
I'd mostly blame that on the fact that the first models were amazing and the ones they put out now aren't anywhere near that in terms of sound quality, plus many artists used them and made them visible. SRV for instance used two.

That said the Tubescreamer IS a decent pedal, but not my first choice for overdrive. I think it has too little gain and a bit too much of a mid boost.

i always think of the tubescreamer more as a tightener and a boost. It gives some treble and a little dirt, but I really like to have a lot of gain on tap so as you can tell I really dislike these pedals
Quote by mikeyElite
what amp are you trying to use it on, and what sound are you trying to achieve ?

Well on my Line Pod X3 Live I used the Comfortably Numb preset and to add extra gain I added the tube screamer model on the Line 6 Pod, and it sounded amazing it was so creamy and it just plain rocked. I'm probably going to sell my Line 6 Pod X3 Live so I wanted to get an Ibanez tube screamer thinking it would give me the same awesome creamy tone that I had on my Pod.
A tube screamer cuts the tips of the waves of your guitar output in order for your amps distortion/overdrive process to work with an already distorted/overdriven wave.

It simply allows you to add more of a dirty distortion to your amp.

It can be used on any guitar amp, but in a tube amp, the naturally occurring process of overdrive and distortion will be taken to a new level.

/thread.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by Whole Lotta Led

This.
Quote by starsnostars
Quote by joe124
I heart god speed you! black emporer

not enough to spell their name right.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

TREMOLO PICKING CRESCENDO CZAR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Thunderpants
This.

Lies.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by Thunderpants
This.

Your an idiot.

...God I've been overusing that phrase today...but yeah, if you really think the TS9 is crap, your an idiot. It's not the best but it's by no means awful.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
Your an idiot.

...God I've been overusing that phrase today...but yeah, if you really think the TS9 is crap, your an idiot. It's not the best but it's by no means awful.

Wait are you agreeing with me?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Wait are you agreeing with me?

If you were defending the TS9? Yes. If you were calling it crap? You must die.

Quote by necrosis1193
If you were defending the TS9? Yes. If you were calling it crap? You must die.

Lol I use one everyday xD
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by necrosis1193
Your an idiot.

Sorry didn't know I wasn't allowed to have an opinion
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by sesstreets
Lol I use one everyday xD

Huzzah, I'm not alone!

Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Sorry didn't know I wasn't allowed to have an opinion

You are so long as you don't state it as fact. Which you appeared to have done.

Quote by necrosis1193
You are so long as you don't state it as fact. Which you appeared to have done.

though personally I think the Tubescreamer is pretty crappy through any amp.

Huh. Sorry about that, in all the posts after that, everything after "the" was bolded, so that was all I noticed before getting pissed. My apologies.