if this is in the wrong forum (which it probably is) please direct me to the right one

So i'm 16, and my voice is pretty deep, and i doubt it's going to get any deeper. I am the lead singer of a band, and lately i've been noticing that when i sing you can tell i'm a kid. i know this isn't going to change since my voice isn't going to get any deeper. i tried singing differently, but it doesn't really help. any suggestions?
Quote by Fusanti_RHCP
I have had no problems. Mostly because I am Jesus.
it's just your voice, you'll probably always think you sound like a kid. it's not something people can control or change with techniques or anything of that sort.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
you probably only sound like a kid to yourself.. and if it's not just you, there's nothing you can do about it.. natural abuse of your voice will make it sound older with time..
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by bite_the_bullet
it's just your voice, you'll probably always think you sound like a kid. it's not something people can control or change with techniques or anything of that sort.

ohh that sucks, haha but thanks man

Quote by FightinIrishPJ
you probably only sound like a kid to yourself.. and if it's not just you, there's nothing you can do about it.. natural abuse of your voice will make it sound older with time..

well mostly to me, if i ask people they kinda agree, but i guess it's mostly me. i could send you a clip of me singing if you would like to judge. and thank you!
Quote by Fusanti_RHCP
what do you mean by sounding like a kid? as in high? because most people would like to be able to sing higher.
if its not that, try focusing your voice on different parts of the face, mess around.
i also suggest you post this in the singing thread (top of the page), you will get much better advice there.
There's a good chance that it will change. It might not mean getting deeper per se, but the timbre of your voice will change to be more "adult."
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Its probably your vowel shape.
Use more vertical space in your mouth when you sing, it will resonate more and give you an older darker tone, rather than the bright tone usually associcated with young singers

I've been in choir for 3 years. I hear bout it every day
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

no, not as in high notes, I agree I would like it sing higher, it's just the way I sound. but yeah I'll keep tryin to mess around, and post this In the singing thread. tomorrow morning I'll post a link to a song of my band's here to show you
Quote by Fusanti_RHCP
Quote by mcraddict81592
Use more vertical space in your mouth when you sing, it will resonate more and give you an older darker tone, rather than the bright tone usually associcated with young singers

thanks a lot! I'll have to try that out.

and to daddytwofoot, that's good to hear
Quote by Fusanti_RHCP
just work it to your advantage and sing songs that require you to sing how you do

and just for inspiration look at Johnny Rotten from the sex pistols
Quote by mcraddict81592

Most likely this, I can't count how many times my choir teacher has yelled at me for my vowel shape
Throw a few pig squeals in there.. drink whiskey before you perform, worked for james hetfield
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by mcraddict81592

I hear you on that one. The amount of time my conductor has spent making our "Awh"s not sound like "AHH"s

To TS, try to open up your throat more when you sing in addition to what mcraddict said.
Grow older.
You're doing it right now!

You're older than you've ever been and now you're even older
And now you're even older
And now you're even older
You're older than you've ever been and now you're even older
And now you're older still
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by FrosteeFresh
if this is in the wrong forum (which it probably is) please direct me to the right one

So i'm 16, and my voice is pretty deep, and i doubt it's going to get any deeper. I am the lead singer of a band, and lately i've been noticing that when i sing you can tell i'm a kid. i know this isn't going to change since my voice isn't going to get any deeper. i tried singing differently, but it doesn't really help. any suggestions?

There be your problem laddy

There is much more to vocal development due to age than simply growing a deeper range
You are a kid, thats probably why you think you sound like one

time is the only thing really dude, as others have said even though your voice may sound deap it most likely isn't done changing
A few thoughts here...

1. Agreed about the age thing. Your voice probably isn't finished changing. Do the best you can with what you have and enjoy singing.

2. Consider this: http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=30 Just because YOU hear your voice one way doesn't mean others hear it that way.

Quote by mcraddict81592

Yes, but don't make funny faces when you sing. Don't buy into the drop your jaw, open really wide, make silly faces to shape your vowels, etc. http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=34

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by FrosteeFresh

I get what you mean about sounding like a kid. I thought i sounded like a kid till i heard myself singing from a recording. In a way its similar to when your voice breaks, you still hear yourself as the little kid, but everyone else hears a deep voice.

Keep in mind that your 16 (as, in fact am I) so your voice probably hasn't totally finished changing. I've noticed that my voice, whilst it has not got deeper per se, has evened out a bit when i sing. If i took it up to a high level, it would get a bit of a warble and jump up and down, now i can get pretty high and stay there.
Basically, this boils down to practice and letting the natural changes take place. It's one of those things that can't be sped up unfortunately.

db
Last edited by darthbuttchin at Jan 4, 2009,
If you have any further questions, please use the singing thread at the top of the forum.

*Closed*
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out