I was just curious if someone knew some good 3 string sweeps ( e B G ) to practice on and where to put my left thumb, cause it seems to curl over the fretboard when i try and sweep.
u can try the intro to bleeding mascara by atreyu. it all 3 string sweeps with a mixture of alternate pickings
meh, i know it, i think it's a c major, anyway im pretty much learning guitar all over again cause my left hand thumb has never been in the correct area.

e-----10h11p10----10h13p10------------------
B---11---------11----------11-------
G-12-------------------------12----
D---------------------------
A---------------------------
E---------------------------

I just made that up, but just noodle around with stuff like that to practice.

edit-

Put your thumb wherever it feels comfortably. If you start doing sweeps on the lower strings and the thumb is in the way, just slide it down a bit so it is not in the way anymore. If something hurts and doesn't feel good then it is probably incorrect, if it feels good then its fine really.

edit2- also, when you get good at 3 string sweeps add other strings. an example I will give it the same chord as above, more of the strings in the chord involved in the sweep.

here is the chord:

e-10-
B-11-
G-12-
D-12-
A-10-
E-10-

then you can just hammer-on and pull-off on the top string or wherever you want to spice it up.

edit-3....

Many sweeps are more complex than that, and will have you doing hammer-ons or pull-offs all the way up/down the strings, but if you are completely new at sweeping what i listed before is a good place to start and a good way to build pick-hand technique.

It Helps to practice with a metronome. Set it for a slow tempo, and give each not an eighth or a quarter of a beat. Make sure to keep it even and flowing.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Last edited by yellowshirtguy at Jan 3, 2009,
i think when u do sweeping, ur left thumb must be placed in the middle of the back of the neck
now how to do i go about making them cleaner?
Last edited by nefootball80 at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by nefootball80
now how to do i go about making them cleaner?

Practice, take a simple sweep and do it very slowly, like 1/4 of original speed, and dont get faster for some first 10 runs..if after ten sweeps you feel good, change your double the speed, if it doesn't feel comfortable, try to 1/3 of the original speed, and go lil by little until you can play all the arpeggios from hell
Quote by Knuxus
Practice, take a simple sweep and do it very slowly, like 1/4 of original speed, and dont get faster for some first 10 runs..if after ten sweeps you feel good, change your double the speed, if it doesn't feel comfortable, try to 1/3 of the original speed, and go lil by little until you can play all the arpeggios from hell

or don't double the speed.

If your playing quarter notes play eighths. If you play eighths play sixteenths.

If you were playing with a band they would not change tempo, so would should you change the tempo when practicing?
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER