Ok so today i recorded a song(my first btw) i wrote for my solo project. im extremly dissapointed about how it came out. Not just the vocals just the whole song lol. but one of the things i disliked about it was the vocals. Idrk what the genre is but it has electro beats with like...a pop punk feeling? but not like a powerpop band. idk. whatcan i do to make the vocals sound good. I recorded it with a nady sp-1mic(i know it sucks dont tell me to get a new one plz) into emu-0202. mm if oyud like to hear it heres the link to the myspace : http://www.myspace.com/shoutitlouda i dont want my next song to turn out this bad lol so plz help me

edit: btw about the actual singing: i was trying to sing quietly so yeahh i couldnt sing as good as i can soo yep (: haha
Well the vocals sound like a robot thanks to that auto tune. Really way to over the top if you ask me.. but thats your choice. Things you could look at to start with:

Delay + Reverb
EQ (take out some of the bottom end)
Multi tracking

At the end of the day though, recording a good clean vocal is the best thing you can do before you try fix it up with effects. Use a pop screen, or make one yourself using a coat hanger and stockings. That will get rid of all the pff sounds.
Last edited by ChrisBG at Jan 3, 2009,
yeahh the auto tune effect is popular in that genre and i like it soo yeahh i use it.
Yeah, I realize that. Personally I'd take it down a little bit but thats just me.

But yeah you can't expect to have a good vocal if you don't sing up, sing into the mic, use a pop screen etc. Once you have a decent raw performance, you can do EQ, reverb, multi tracking, etc.
The auto-tune is actually pretty terribly implemented in this song, but hey.
Good quality recording starts with good gear. Get a decent mic and a decent soundcard to start with. Record in a place with decent acoustics (eg: a bathroom works fine).
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd
You sound like WallE Auto tune only makes it worse I'd say. Try with other settings.

Hey but it's your first the second, third... will probably be much much better.
Or you could edit your voice with melodyne :P

Sounds good though.
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH in Crimson Red
Reverend Sensei HB FM in Tobacco Burst
Fender Vintage C Neck, HH, Surf Green Nitrocellulose (Handmade)

Egnater Rebel-30 MKI Head
Egnater Tourmaster Series 412B 280W 4x12 Cabinet
That autotune's hilarious! Even as an effect, it's supposed to be subtle. Dial it down a notch. Or save money on a new mic and get Microsoft Sam to do the vocal part

Also, the vocals don't sit in the mix at all, try a tiny bit of plate reverb/slapback and EQ out the bass a little. The backing track is also well too quiet compared to the vocals, it sounds like it's playing a bathtub several metres behind the vocals.
yeahh the mp3 file on my computer played through like...itunes or somthing sounds alot different, almost betteR? idk i think myspace also messed up a little bit
yeahh theres a big difference between the mp3 file and the one on myspace. but the file still could use alot of improvement
Well, the autotune is pretty badly implemented, although I see what effect your were going for. Have you ever used a vocoder, because that could help you get a similar effect sounding good, and they are very fun to play with. They also help if you're not the best singer, as you say you're not.

At the end of the day though, and I don't mean to be nasty, it just sounds like you didn't really put much effort into the performance. I know it's hard when you're not so confident about your voice, but i my experience, holding back will only make it worse.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
Well, the autotune is pretty badly implemented, although I see what effect your were going for. Have you ever used a vocoder, because that could help you get a similar effect sounding good, and they are very fun to play with. They also help if you're not the best singer, as you say you're not.

At the end of the day though, and I don't mean to be nasty, it just sounds like you didn't really put much effort into the performance. I know it's hard when you're not so confident about your voice, but i my experience, holding back will only make it worse.

pretty much this.

about the vocals. its almost like confidence is half of the whole thing.
ill never claim to be a good singer. but as soon as my singer taught me to loosen up a bit and just let it out i got a ton better than the sucky vocalist i always was before.