Alright im about to get a speaker for my valveking 112, but i dont know which one. I play punk/alternative type of music. Mostly blink 182 and brand new. I dont know what speaker i should choose to get the best sound for this type of music. Please help me.
Celestion Vintage 30's.
They're perfect.

But.. if moneys not an object, get Alnico Golds, they're $290
LOL nah, just go with the V30's
Check out the Valveking thread. It should be on the first page of GG and A. Read through the first page, theres a ton of info there. Then theres another discussion around the 100 page mark off the top of my head.

That said, it is mostly for people who want metal, but theres still probably some helpful info in there.
Quote by atouch15
Alright im about to get a speaker for my valveking 112, but i dont know which one. I play punk/alternative type of music. Mostly blink 182 and brand new. I dont know what speaker i should choose to get the best sound for this type of music. Please help me.

Please consider something other than the Vintage 30 if your goal is to clear up the muddiness. This amp needs a speaker that will clear things up. I tried the vintage 30 and it added more bass and a honky mid soundwhich I didn't like but that is my opinion. I still think you should go with celestion but try the Gt100t hot 100 or maybe a classic lead. I tried the hot 100 and it smoked in my valveking. It cleared it up and added some harmonics that I never had with the stock speaker. Vintage 30's are good speakers but everyboty reccomends them for everything and they don't always sound great in everything.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by Lynchworm
Please consider something other than the Vintage 30 if your goal is to clear up the muddiness. This amp needs a speaker that will clear things up. I tried the vintage 30 and it added more bass and a honky mid soundwhich I didn't like but that is my opinion. I still think you should go with celestion but try the Gt100t hot 100 or maybe a classic lead. I tried the hot 100 and it smoked in my valveking. It cleared it up and added some harmonics that I never had with the stock speaker. Vintage 30's are good speakers but everyboty reccomends them for everything and they don't always sound great in everything.
Agree with the 'not always V30' comment but the hot 100 is a step sideways, it's a very average speaker.

I'd recommend the G12K-100. Sounds like a smoother, less honky V30 with a huge tight bass that will make your amp sound bigger than it is. Brilliant speaker, should suit your music well.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^I'm adding that to VK thread

sg_thrasher put a G12K-100 in a 1x12 combo and runs his amp through, and he said it sounds every bit as big as his 2x12 V30 cab and even better tonally If it's any help also, kerry king uses the G12K-100 in his 4x12s although I don't know how good advertising that is
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^tnx

you mean sg thrasher's Laney?

PS - Actually you have several credits on the first page of th VK thread now You should check it even though you are not a fan. Also, there were some folks asking about how to get Laney tones out of VK and swapping to EL34 power tubes and suggested that you might know.

TS - Sorry to threadjack....um...go check out the Valveking thread. We're in the process of trying to beef up the speaker info on the front page so bear with us.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by MrCarrot
Agree with the 'not always V30' comment but the hot 100 is a step sideways, it's a very average speaker.

I'd recommend the G12K-100. Sounds like a smoother, less honky V30 with a huge tight bass that will make your amp sound bigger than it is. Brilliant speaker, should suit your music well.

The Hot100 is a better speaker than people think. It was reccomended to me by Dave at Avatar speakers. It sounded very good in my valveking. But my whole point is that there are other speakers out there. I have heard good things about the G12K.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by Van Noord
+1. A great, less expensive alternative to the V30. Very smooth sounding with less harsh upper mids.

Try breaking the speaker (celestions) in before you say this. It takes a long time to break them in.
The WGS Retro 30 works great in a Valveking speaking from experience, and it's only $65 plus S & H. Similar to the popular Veteran 30 they make, but with some improvements assuming your looking for a heavier tone with lots of tight lows. Great for cleans too since it doesn't break up easy. If you must have a Celestion, I agree with whoever commented that the G12T-100 is a great all around speaker for this amp according to research I did prior to going with the less expensive WGS. Apparently the Eminence "Swamp Thang" and "Legend" are also favorites for VK owners. Any of these will no doubt get you a better tone than the stock speaker, even a V30, which I don't recommend for an amp that already has too much upper mids.