Hey guys. With power chords that have the root note A (the second lowest string) I've noticed alot of players tilt their thumb up over the neck and it looks like their muting the E string. From what I've read putting your thumb up over the neck is bad technique, but is this an exception? Does it help mute the E and make the chord sound better? Thanks!!
yea it keeps it quiet
hendrix did the opposite
he muted the A string and played the low E
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
it definitely makes the chord sound better when e is muted, because if you play the open string it becomes an A shape chord with an E Bass note. This can be correct on an A chord
As such:

e|-----------------|
B|-----------------|
G|----2------------|
D|----2------------|
A|----0------------|
E|----0------------|

or on an E chord
As such:

e|-----------------|
B|-----------------|
G|----9------------|
D|----9------------|
A|----7------------|
E|----0------------|
Because the low e string is part of the chord.

But any other A shape power chords should not include the open e string as they are technically not part of the chord. I've seen some punk/emo bands play the open e string on chords other than A or E to create a dark theme (due to dissonance, no doubt). As for muting using for thumb is OK, as using your middle finger(though this is seldom used)
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by baylewis

But any other A shape power chords should not include the open e string as they are technically not part of the chord. I've seen some punk/emo bands play the open e string on chords other than A or E to create a dark theme (due to dissonance, no doubt). As for muting using for thumb is OK, as using your middle finger(though this is seldom used)

It's not dissonance because there is already an E in an A powerchord. It sounds dark because it's an inversion(using a note other than the root as the lowest note).
But it's ok to mute going over the top with your thumb. Anything that you can do to mute strings and keep from making tons of noise is good. You just don't want to play with your thumb over the top all the time. You need to be able to play with your thumb behind the neck if you want to achieve great speed. Hope that helps.
Are You the Next Guitar Hero?
Master the Guitar Step by Step
Who says thumb over neck = bad technique? I've been playing a long time and its standard technique, especially when bending strings. Sure there are times when its not appropriate, like for classical guitar or classically-influenced shred lines esp using pinky. But most of the time it's a standard thing to do in rock guitar. Hell, even Yngwie has his thumb up over the neck a lot, just look at pics or videos.

All you have to do to disprove that theory about no thumb over neck is to flip thru guitar mags and look at pics of great players, majority of times their thumb is visible. Or watch videos of Hendrix or any of the other rock legends. (Dimebag being one noticeable exception, seemed like he preferred to keep his thumb under neck more then others).

Like most rules, that one is made to be broken. It's right up there with the "one finger per fret" rule as far as something that's really more of a theory rather then reality, if you do your homework and study the great players and how they actually played, vs. how they "should" have played.
technique is very, very subjective

i know a guitarist who is "sloppy"....however, he is continuously "sloppy", and it adds a cool Zappa kinda feel to it

so just shut up and play yer guitar
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I wouldn't really consider it improper technique, it comes in handy very often whether you play the string or mute it
can't you just...not strum the low e?

???
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
Quote by <SpaceTime>
can't you just...not strum the low e?

???

Some people find it difficult. And if its really fast, its usually easier just to mute the bottom string with the thumb.

But yes you are correct. Thats what I do.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by StratSlinger
It's not dissonance because there is already an E in an A powerchord. It sounds dark because it's an inversion(using a note other than the root as the lowest note).
But it's ok to mute going over the top with your thumb. Anything that you can do to mute strings and keep from making tons of noise is good. You just don't want to play with your thumb over the top all the time. You need to be able to play with your thumb behind the neck if you want to achieve great speed. Hope that helps.

No, i said using an E note as the root in a power chord is only technically right in an A or E chord. You obviously didn;t read my post.
Chords with altered bases, only sound right when an actual note of the chord is used as the bass note. For example D/F# sounds good because F# is the third note of the triad. However D/F sounds weird because F is not a note of the triad. People think you can alter the bass note of any chord anywhere you want, but in fact chords with altered basses only sound right when the bass note is an actual note of the triad.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all