i was just wondering what guitarists are there in like the top 40 now a days that are good guitarists
cause it seems good guitarists now a days come from bands people dont really know, as opposed to say the led zeppelins and van halens of back in the dizzay
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
Alot of top 40 guitarists can play alot better than you think they can, but the music never really calls for it so they don't show it off.
i guess
but even still people that dont know guitar arent like "oh theyr good at guitar".
eg. my dad knows nothing about guitar but hes like "mark knopfler is a good guitarist" and can name a bunch of different guitarists
do you get what i mean?
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

Last edited by joshua.mcdonald at Jan 3, 2009,
^ Actually, I don't really think so. The music indeed never really calls for it, but as a result they don't learn all this jumble underground guitar players might be interested in. Well, at least in the Dutch Top 40 lists the few songs that actually feature some form of guitar (most is just hiphop or dance music anyway) only go as far as chord strumming. And not Ebmaj7 Cm7add9 G#maj7 Gm7 but something more like C G F.

*sigh*
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
anyways back to the questions do you guys know of any?
matt bellamy is one that comes to mind for me and john frusicante

Quote by bornfidelity
^ Actually, I don't really think so. The music indeed never really calls for it, but as a result they don't learn all this jumble underground guitar players might be interested in. Well, at least in the Dutch Top 40 lists the few songs that actually feature some form of guitar (most is just hiphop or dance music anyway) only go as far as chord strumming. And not Ebmaj7 Cm7add9 G#maj7 Gm7 but something more like C G F.

*sigh*

You don't need complex chords and chord structures to make good songs you know. A simple chord structure may sound better than a really complex chord progression. Of course it's down to opinions.
X JAPAN
yoshiki.toshi.pata.hide.heath/taiji

---------------

"desert rose, why do you live alone..." - yoshiki
Quote by bornfidelity

*sigh*

Leendert Haaksma (ex-Anouk) is quite skilled. He also builds wicked amps.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
what country is that?
im in australia and never heard of him but i will google him
lawol

oh im not sure if im out of the loop or not but these dudes arent really like mainstream mainstream.
maybe its just me being in australia and our music or someting but yeah

Quote by joshua.mcdonald
i was just wondering what guitarists are there in like the top 40 now a days that are good guitarists
cause it seems good guitarists now a days come from bands people dont really know, as opposed to say the led zeppelins and van halens of back in the dizzay

Led Zep were never in the top 40 (singles chart) because they never released any singles.

Just saying :P
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Led Zep were never in the top 40 (singles chart) because they never released any singles.

you sassin me boy!
nah jokes youse all know what i mean

The session players that track the guitar parts on any big budget pop release will be phenomenally rounded players. Not exactly the way to achieve fame and glamour, but they're probably the best that feature in the charts at the moment.
Quote by Nolly
The session players that track the guitar parts on any big budget pop release will be phenomenally rounded players. Not exactly the way to achieve fame and glamour, but they're probably the best that feature in the charts at the moment.

You also make pretty good money.
Quote by Delanoir
You also make pretty good money.

If you're at the top of the game then yes. In London for example, there are about 4 session players that take 90% of the jobs. They do about 7 or 8 sessions a day, and they get hired continually mainly because they are lightning-quick and infallible sight-readers, and no producer wants to risk getting a newbie in and delaying the recording if they're not up to scratch.
If you've not broken into that circle, it is a very tricky existence indeed.
Quote by Kurapica

I think you're missing Whole Lotta Love here. They didn't agree with it but it sure was released as a single.

edit: Leendert Hoekstra! I don't really like Anouk's more recent work much (although Jerusalem was pretty kickass, as a song). But the Dutch do know their guitars ^^

Still, he's not a guy people know, he just plays for someone people know. So I wouldn't consider him mainstream.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Last edited by bornfidelity at Jan 3, 2009,
john mayor is a great guitarist, but his songs are so f***ing boring, the only one i like is waitin on the world to change.
and john frusciante isnt really mainstream, i mean he is now i guess with snow and dani california, but he's kind of beyond that i think.
Quote by stratdud39
john mayor is a great guitarist, but his songs are so f***ing boring, the only one i like is waitin on the world to change.
and john frusciante isnt really mainstream, i mean he is now i guess with snow and dani california, but he's kind of beyond that i think.

Except waiting on the world to change is boring as well

:x

Most that dó play guitar are guys like James Morrison strumming chords. Nothing wrong with acoustic guitar but you gotta play that acoustic. Every pop song has some part where I think *they could've inserted a great acoustic guitar solo in here*

RHCP have always been half mainstream half underground, which is sort of the perfect position for any band, if you ask me. Too bad I don't like too much slapping & poppin
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by Simskre
John Mayer is an awesome guitarist

Yea, but you'd never guess it by his mainstream stuff.
John Mayer being awesome
But to be honest, he is dressed like a tool in that vid.