Hello.

So I'm a beginner. Been playing guitar for around 2 weeks or so. I wanted to buy a new set of strings but when I started searching I got so confused because there were so many different products I didn't know what to choose.

I've been recommended to buy the "DR" brand by JustinGuitar.com, and since I'm a beginner I'll take his word for it that it's pretty good quality-wise.

So, I did an Amazon search and this is what I came up with:

*link removed. look on my 2nd post in this thread for a product list I came up with*

Can someone please shed some light?

Thanks.
Last edited by GooGles4Lyfe at Jan 3, 2009,
Hard to say which strings are good and which aren't because people prefer different strings, different gauges. I personally like the titanium slinky strings from Ernie Ball. I tried them out and thought they felt great on my fingers and sounded good.

Whereas the next person could completely hate Ernie Ball strings and love Dean Markley or something.

Also do you play electric, nylon acoustic or steel string acoustics? Because if you try and put nylon strings on a steel string acoustic etc then i don't think it'd work.

But it wouldn't hurt to try DR strings out. You might not see the difference between strings yet but as you play for a longer amount of time then your preferences will change and you will start to get a better feel for things too.

EDIT:

I should add that I used DR for a while and I thought they were pretty good. Only used them for about 2 months before the new Ernie Ball strings came out (which I currently use)
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
get a set of 09 strings, unless you tune your guitar down 09 strings wil be just fine. also, dont get any stainless steel strings, they suck big time.
you will have to spend some time trying out new strings. back when i first started i loved Dean Markley strings. a few months later i tried out other strings companys. DR, Fender, ernie ball, and a slew of others. i finaly desided on ernie ball strings for my electrics and D'addario's for my acoustics.

so what im trying to tell you is it will take you a few string changed to find what you like. lucky for you is that strings for the most part are not that much. they averagly go for around 4.50 to 7 bucks, others are more expencive though such as the d'addario 12 string set, i like the sound i get out of them but its worth the price.
First of all I wanted to thank you guys for your replies. I just wanted to say that I got an electric guitar and not an acoustic.

Thank you again.

EDIT: I don't believe you guys understand my problem, and I don't blame you because I didn't clarify.

I made a new search for Ernie Bell strings, and here's what I got:

Ernie Ball Regular Slinky String Set (10 - 46)
Ernie Ball Super Slinky String Set (9 - 42)
Ernie Ball 2220 Power Slinky Nickel Round Wound Electric Guitar Strings
Ernie Ball 2215 Nickel Slinky Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom Electric Guitar Strings
Ernie Ball 2222 Nickel Hybrid Slinky Orange Electric Guitar Strings
Ernie Ball 2627 Ernie Ball, Beefy Slinky String Set (11 - 54)
Ernie Ball 2626 Ernie Ball, Not Even Slinky String Set (12 -52)
Ernie Ball 2225 Nickel Extra Slinky Electric Guitar Strings

I have no idea the difference and I have no idea which strings are actually for an electric guitar and which are for an acoustic etc. (except for those who mention it in the product's name)

I just wanna know what a beginner like me should look for in strings.

Thank you again.
Last edited by GooGles4Lyfe at Jan 3, 2009,
alright then.

If you're keen to test DR strings just make sure it says electric guitar strings

have fun experimenting
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Quote by GooGles4Lyfe
First of all I wanted to thank you guys for your replies. I just wanted to say that I got an electric guitar and not an acoustic.

Thank you again.

EDIT: I don't believe you guys understand my problem, and I don't blame you because I didn't clarify.

I made a new search for Ernie Bell strings, and here's what I got:

Ernie Ball Regular Slinky String Set (10 - 46)
Ernie Ball Super Slinky String Set (9 - 42)
Ernie Ball 2220 Power Slinky Nickel Round Wound Electric Guitar Strings
Ernie Ball 2215 Nickel Slinky Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom Electric Guitar Strings
Ernie Ball 2222 Nickel Hybrid Slinky Orange Electric Guitar Strings
Ernie Ball 2627 Ernie Ball, Beefy Slinky String Set (11 - 54)
Ernie Ball 2626 Ernie Ball, Not Even Slinky String Set (12 -52)
Ernie Ball 2225 Nickel Extra Slinky Electric Guitar Strings

I have no idea the difference and I have no idea which strings are actually for an electric guitar and which are for an acoustic etc. (except for those who mention it in the product's name)

I just wanna know what a beginner like me should look for in strings.

Thank you again.

Most electric guitars use 9s or 10s, so check out Regular slinkies and Super slinkies.
Anything by Ernie Ball or D'addario is definitely good quality, really.
9 is the skinniest string and 46,52,46 etc is the thickest.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
i have been playing for about 4 years now maybe and strings are still a thing i have no huge preference on but i use one of three types i either use fender original nickel wound 10/46 for a classic sound , ernie ball hybrid slinkys for easy bends an dirty power chords, or martin sp custom lights for my acoustic i hope ive helped altho probably not as i need to know what are good string for my nylon classical?
the strings i buy are coated with EMP and they last very long

i haven't broken a string in 6 months. but that also includes a weekly maintenance on the strings

they cost about $15

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." -Kurt Cobain
^ cleartones perhaps?
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Dont bye any expensive strings before you are used with tuning the guitar. I used to break alot of strings the first weeks.