Yeah, I think I might be getting some new tubes for my 5150. Any suggestions on brands? ? I have the combo.

And some technical questions...What I wanna buy are 6l6's, right? Or do I get the 12Ax7's? Or both?

Thanks.

Edit: While I'm at it... Anybody have any suggestions for pedals that would go well with the 5150? I already have an MXR noisegate. Any effect at all. I was thinking an overdrive for that kinda A7X'y lead tone, but I'm not too sure how that would work out. You can say whatever you want about the band, but you have to admit that the guy has a pretty cool tone. Kinda silky in a way.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Last edited by abcdboy at Jan 3, 2009,
I would hit up the Mother of all 5150s Thread for specifics but 6L6s are power tubes and 12AX7s are preamp tubes. Why do you feel you need new tubes or what are you trying to change?

OD's I'd look at the Maxons, Tubescreamers, Bad Monkeys or maybe a Jyckle and Hyde. Can't imagine you'd need an overdrive pedal for a 5150 though.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I would hit up the Mother of all 5150s Thread for specifics but 6L6s are power tubes and 12AX7s are preamp tubes. Why do you feel you need new tubes or what are you trying to change?

OD's I'd look at the Maxons, Tubescreamers, Bad Monkeys or maybe a Jyckle and Hyde. Can't imagine you'd need an overdrive pedal for a 5150 though.

5150's love boosts, it's not to add any more gain, just tighten things up.

OP: What's your budget for these new tubes?
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
6L6's in the Power amp. 12AX7's in the PreAmp.

I always buy JJ Tubes. They are IMO the best tubes Ive heard.
Guitars:
LTD MHNT250 (Bare Knuckle Warpig in Bridge)
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
I just feel like the tone of the amp is kinda changing. Distortion isn't as tight any more. I don't really have a set budget. I guess 100 max. So, will I need power tubes or preamp tubes?

Thanks.
Gear...
Look at the Ibanez TS-9, thats a pretty good pedal. Also look at some MXR overdrives. Get New preamp and Power amp tubes.
Last edited by Guitargod12345 at Jan 3, 2009,
Go for a Maxon OD-808.

They are used by a lot of the big metalcore bands with 5150s or similar for that smooth saturated tone.. such as parkway drive and killswitch engage. They are way more affordable as well.

And the power tubes you want (power tubes being the big ones) are 6L6s. They have better base response, and are generally seen as better for downtuned and melodic metal and stuff like that. Preamp tubes are the smaller ones, and yeah, 12Ax7s are what you'll want.

Although, I've heard people say that the power tubes make more of a difference to your tone, so maybe change those first where money is an issue.
Hmm... So new power tubes it is? Need to make sure before I buy them. It'd suck if I bought the wrong stuff, haha. Thanks.
Gear...
I've got the combo too and I've put every tube in it you could imagine.
For the power tubes go with Winged C's or JJ's. They sounded the best.
for the preamp tubes put a Tung-Sol reissue or Mullard issue 12ax7 in V1.
Fill the rest with Shuguang 9th generation plain cheap Chinese tubes.
Trust me on this. If possible used a balanced Chinese tube in V4, it's the PI socket.

For the record, here is how the V system on the combo goes, from right to left, right being closest to the power tubes.

V4 V3 V5 V2 V1
i'm pretty sure a7x boosts with a boss ds-1

ts808s are good but if you are on more of a budget a bad monkey would be great. They work awesome as clean boosts.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I've got the combo too and I've put every tube in it you could imagine.
For the power tubes go with Winged C's or JJ's. They sounded the best.
for the preamp tubes put a Tung-Sol reissue or Mullard issue 12ax7 in V1.
Fill the rest with Shuguang 9th generation plain cheap Chinese tubes.
Trust me on this. If possible used a balanced Chinese tube in V4, it's the PI socket.

For the record, here is how the V system on the combo goes, from right to left, right being closest to the power tubes.

V4 V3 V5 V2 V1

This basically
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
But which tubes will I need to replace? The power tubes or the pre amp tubes? If that's unanswerable without an inspections...Which ones generally burn out faster?

EDIT: Also, how do I "balance" tubes?

Thanks.
Gear...
Last edited by abcdboy at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by abcdboy
But which tubes will I need to replace? The power tubes or the pre amp tubes? If that's unanswerable without an inspections...Which ones generally burn out faster?

EDIT: Also, how do I "balance" tubes?

Thanks.

Replacing them ALL is the ideal situation. (hopefully your funds will allow this)
"balanced" just means when ordering your preamp tubes, ask for one that is "balanced" for the Phase Inverter socket. It will come labled so you'll know which tube it is. Make sure the balanced tube goes in V4.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Replacing them ALL is the ideal situation. (hopefully your funds will allow this)
"balanced" just means when ordering your preamp tubes, ask for one that is "balanced" for the Phase Inverter socket. It will come labled so you'll know which tube it is. Make sure the balanced tube goes in V4.

D:

I don't think my gift card can stretch that far. If I had to choose, should I choose power tubes to be replaced, or preamp tubes?

Also, I'll be ordering off Amazon, lol. Do you think that they'll be able to do hook me up with a balanced one?

Thanks.
Gear...
I don't see how Amazon is going to provide you with balanced anything. You need to go to tubedepot.com or dougstubes.com for example and asked for a matched or balanced set.

Power vs Preamp is harder based on what we know. Power tubes dying would give you more of a volume drop then lack of disti, so if that latter is what you are experiencing then I would focus on the preamp tubes and follow what Esupremacy said.
Metal tone is primarily preamp tube made.
But you'll probably need a power tube replacement if you're getting less volume than before, or have less headroom (check how far it takes for clean to break up)
If your volume hasnt changed it could just be the preamp tubes, and yes, 12ax7 will be best for you. But you might just want to change V1,2, and 3. 3x 12ax7's wont cost much at all. I suggest JJ's personally.
just did a quote for the JJ power amp, and the Mullard/ China tubes in the pre amp....still under 100 bucks