Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Here's someone who's not so famous, but I like to point him out:

Arjen Lucassen cannot read or write sheet music. Yet, he writes some of the most awesome prog I've ever heard. He couldn't tell you what scale is what, yet his guitar playing is clean, original, and awesome.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Paul McCartney
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Need to work on your grammar a bit, but the spelling is good TS.

A bit?... I think he should start all over again.
John Lennon.

R.I.P
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Where I can find who knows or who does not knows? Cuz wikipedia shows nothing
Gear:

-ESP/LTD M-100FM
-Yamaha Pacifica PAC012
-PBS 15Watts Amplifier
-Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Monster 25ft. Cable
-Dunlop Tortex 1mm Picks
-Dunlop Strap (Heavy Duty)
- Ernie Ball 10-46
Did read, but questionable as to how much they actually used it: Van Halen, Page, Rhoads. Sample quotes:

---

"I can read, but I have to look at it, think about it, and then play it. About the third time, I can read it."

Randy Rhoads
John Stix interview Aug 14 '81, reprinted in Gtr for Practicing Musician, 7/92

---

Q: "Did the piano training transfer itself to the guitar?"

A: "Oh, definitely, but in a very subliminal way. Because I never learned how to read, really; I used to fool the teacher. I did it all by ear."

E. Van Halen
Gtr World, 7/85

---

Some people think because Page was a session player he must have been a good reader; that seems questionable considering the following quotes. He himself has said the main reason he was hired a lot in the mid-sixties in London was because most other session players on the scene were still rooted in pop and jazz and weren't good at getting a good rock sound.

"I've always enjoyed living by my wits with regard to my guitar playing, that goes back to even my session musician days, where I had to come up with parts on the spot."

Jimmy Page
Gtr World
1/08

"I can’t play a scale. You think I’m kidding but I’m not. I can’t. Well I can, I can play the notes but it’s true though."
Jimmy Page
Modern Guitars magazine
1986 interview

---

Did not read music: Hendrix, Beatles, Keith Richards, SRV, Clapton, Angus... IOW, most other rock guitarists
As said above - many famous musicians can't read a score. It's fairly common. If you want to be a great musician though, sheet music will really help you when you're with other instruments, or other people etc etc.

In short, learn to read music even if it's a minimal amount. It helps in the long run.
I do not thing thom york knows how to read music. Jimmy hendrix could not either and im pretty sure no one in interpol knows either.
Quote by daisuke711
I do not thing thom york knows how to read music. Jimmy hendrix could not either and im pretty sure no one in interpol knows either.

Whew, that's a relief. The last thing we need is a bunch of musically inclined police running around. I can see it now: "That was an F# you just played there mister, and I distinctly read it as being a Bb on the sheet. Here's your ticket"
Quote by LeftyDave
Whew, that's a relief. The last thing we need is a bunch of musically inclined police running around. I can see it now: "That was an F# you just played there mister, and I distinctly read it as being a Bb on the sheet. Here's your ticket"

yes.... you are the threadkiller
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
A lot of famous guitarists couldn't read sheet music. However people use that as an excuse to not learn how to. You really shouldn't. It's such an easy thing to do.
Famous last words are for men who never said enough. - Anonymous
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic