Page 1 of 2
Yeah, I need some info on how Blues Music has influenced Rock, maybe with some examples of Rock songs that have "bluesy" riffs and general stuff. Just write anything you know. Thanks!
Quote by blue_strat
This is Germany we're talking about.

Germany

Quote by stoner179
Thanks alot. When i read the first sentence, i dont know why, but i laughed in the middle of my first class at tech school. You sir have made me look like a fool for the first and last time
So pretty much you're after a definition of blues-rock?
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
Oh wow, there are loads of ways in which it influenced rock.

Check out The Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton or Fleetwood Mac, or Ten Years After or Thin Lizzy.

Let the music do the talking!

Just to make this post a bit better, stuff like the blues scale.. 12 bar blues, 8 bar blues, 16 bar.. slide playing, improvisation, major/minor combinational work.. and so on.
More than just influenced. Rock music pretty much evolved out of the blues. If you look at early rock bands in the 60's, like Cream and the Rolling Stones, they were basically white english guys who tried to sound like blues musicians, and created something of their own in doing so.
If music were classed on an evolutionary scale, then blues would be an ancestor of rock. Without it, rock 'n' roll (a blues/country hybrid) would never exist and without rock 'n' roll, rock music as we know it today wouldn't exist either.
Quote by sashki
More than just influenced. Rock music pretty much evolved out of the blues. If you look at early rock bands in the 60's, like Cream and the Rolling Stones, they were basically white english guys who tried to sound like blues musicians, and created something of their own in doing so.

Nah, Cream had lots of other stuff going on too.
Quote by JilaX^
To put it simple Rock is speeded up blues with more gain

That sounds familiar....did anyone famous say that??
Mark Morton.
SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL

"And the earth died screaming as I lay dreaming"
Ever heard of ACDC? I would look into them...

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
So, can anyone tell me a reliable and good source on Blues Theory and Rock Theory, perfect would be if it showed the similarities and differences...?
That would be great Thanks!
Quote by blue_strat

Germany

Quote by stoner179
Thanks alot. When i read the first sentence, i dont know why, but i laughed in the middle of my first class at tech school. You sir have made me look like a fool for the first and last time
One name you need to know: Robert Johnson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Johnson_(musician)

He's dubbed "The Grandfather of Rock n' Roll." His style of playing heavily influenced players like Eric Clapton and Keith Richards. He wrote "Crossroads," a song you're probably more familiar from hearing the cover by Cream.

As its been said, rock pretty much came from an amalgamation between white gospel/folk music and black blues music of the American South. All of the chord structures, scales, riffs that make up basic rock music come out of blues.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Most original rock songs such as Elvis and stuff based all their songs on the standard 12 bar blues chord progression (I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-I-I), which is still widely popular to this day
Gear:

Epiphone 1966 Ltd. SG
Epiphone SG G-400 (RIP)
Yamaha C310P
Kustom Quad DFX100
Roland Microcube (... I use it as an ipod speaker now XD)
Boss Ns-2 Noise suppressor
Boss Md-2 Mega distortion
Boss Dn-2 Dyna Drive
Vox V847 Wah
Quote by lufkin

EDIT:There's a thread kinda like this one. Loads of helpful stuff.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=17978241#post17978241

Thanks, but why would you link me to my own thread..?
Quote by blue_strat

Germany

Quote by stoner179
Look in to pentatonic minor scales, they are known as the "One size fits all" scale for blues music.
Also I think it is important to mention the evolution from other musical influences, to blues, to rock, as in the pentatonic scale from eastern music, most notably from the eastern coast of asia, was evolved in blues music into the blues scale, by adding the 4th interval, which in say the case of a "C" blues scale would be the note "F#" this addition adds a note that is against the normal "Grain" of the scale, you see, this note doesn't appear in any of the alternative minor scales of the traditional western music, therefore it was a new addition to the playng style of early american musicians. This, in addition with the I,IV,V chord progression has been the most influential change in modern music since the 1200's in my oppinion, and you will find it in ALL western music made after the 1910's. It's a pretty cool little scale to tell you the truth.
Quote by Meths

fret-less is wrong on most of his other points though. And he's an idiot.
Quote by Mr Lincolnlogs
Whos penis is small? fret-less's

FREE COREYSMONSTER! I'm not changing this until you RE-BAN CoreysMonster forever.
(He was mean to me once, and I'm a petty man)
Put it this way...

Blues = every style of music, pretty much.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

In the course of my research, I'm kinda getting into Blues
Quote by blue_strat

Germany

Quote by stoner179
Check out Revolution #1 by The Beatles, it's based off of a blues/rock and roll shuffle with lots of overdriven guitar in it.
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Quote by LReiter
Yeah, I need some info on how Blues Music has influenced Rock, maybe with some examples of Rock songs that have "bluesy" riffs and general stuff. Just write anything you know. Thanks!

Pentatonic=blues.

look at every AC/DC solo. ever.

Angus solos = pentatonic.
Quote by sglover34479
Pentatonic=blues.

Could you explain that a bit further?

edit: okay, is it true that blues is basically a minor pentanonic with the blues note shoved between?
Quote by blue_strat

Germany

Quote by stoner179
Last edited by LReiter at Feb 1, 2009,
yeah i would sugest most of AC/DCs stuff very blues based Led Zeppelin, Rose Tattoo ZZ Top all have blues songs (especialy ZZ Top) and George Thorogood (as he does sh.it loads of covers of older blues players)

yeah blues is good and most modern music evolved from it
IMA SOCIETY DWELLING MOTHER F*CKER

UGS representitive shroudy monk
So, I need a typical blues piece and a typical rock piece, preferably a cover, which have similar "riffs" and melodies in the guitar and voice parts.

I already have "Crossroad blues" by Robert Johnson and "Crossroads" by Cream, but it's kinda hard to find similarities in the guitar parts.
Preferably give me a link to a tab or guitar pro file.

Thanks!
Quote by blue_strat

Germany

Quote by stoner179
I can't even figure out what defines blues (and jazz...) musically. I mean, all I see in them are arpeggios and basic riffs consisting of walking down scales.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Quote by Ulalume
I can't even figure out what defines blues (and jazz...) musically. I mean, all I see in them are arpeggios and basic riffs consisting of walking down scales.

I don't think so. Also, what do you want to tell me that's relevant to my question?
Quote by blue_strat

Germany

Quote by stoner179
Quote by LReiter
Thanks, but why would you link me to my own thread..?

he seemed to be serious
anyway, on topic, chuck berry! he pretty much made the evolutionary step.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry imo marked the transition of blues to rock.
Pretty much every Led Zeppelin song is a good example.
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
Last edited by B4Dkarma at Feb 8, 2009,
Blues didn't just influence rock music. Rock music is just the blues with modification.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by LReiter

Rock is blues with distortion 99.5% of the time. With just a few differences here and there. I IV V progressions are very common and so is 4/4 time....that's being very general but I guess that's a start.

Jimi Hendrix being one of the first to use distortion I would say is the biggest, or one of the biggest, moves from blues to rock
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Last edited by SGmaniac1021 at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by LReiter
Could you explain that a bit further?

edit: okay, is it true that blues is basically a minor pentanonic with the blues note shoved between?

In simple terms, yes....but it's more than that technically
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Rock musicians like Hendrix and Clapton just played the blues and mixed it with the faster pace and overdriven sound of rock and roll. That's how classic rock was created. Plain and simple.
Page 1 of 2