'Safest' seat remarks gets Muslim family kicked off plane / AirtTran are disgusting

Page 1 of 9
A Muslim family removed from an airliner Thursday after passengers became concerned about their conversation say AirTran officials refused to rebook them, even after FBI investigators cleared them of wrongdoing.
A Muslim family was removed from an AirTran flight after a conversation about the safest place to sit.

Atif Irfan said federal authorities removed eight members of his extended family and a friend after passengers heard them discussing the safest place to sit and misconstrued the nature of the conversation.
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/01/01/family.grounded/index.html

I think this is a sick example of racism by ignorant officials in AirTran. I can remember having a similar discussion with my Dad before getting on a plane before. I wasn't removed from the plane.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I heard about it earlier today. Made me pretty angry. Some teenage girl said she heard them discussing where was the safest place to sit in the plane and called some air marshalls.
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.
Just not what you talk about on a plane, kind of sick.

Though I do prefer the front to the back, I usually always sit towards the front of a plane by luck.

Quote by nodice182
I heard about it earlier today. Made me pretty angry. Some teenage girl said she heard them discussing where was the safest place to sit in the plane and called some air marshalls.

Why am I picturing Meg Griffin? Why?
Quote by Jackolas

How? They were just curious about the safety of different areas of a plane. It's obvious that not all seating areas are going to be identical in the amount of protection the provide.

Morbid, perhaps.
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

Click.
One time I walked onto a plane and yelled, "I HAVE A BOMB!!" (I didn't, though) and an old black guy got up, patted me on the head and said, "Charlie Brown, you'se one crazy muddafucka. You don't have a bomb, you'se a honky!"
life is beautifuuuuooooaaaaaal
although its a lil sick, i must admit as a studyin pilot that i have talked about it several times and is not at all a tabu.

BTW, the safest place is in the back of the plane, or a long the center line of the wings
in the days of old, when plane crashes were " better" the tail boom was the safest place to be, not that you would have much chance of surviving anyway. im talking about the 40-s onwards, the tail section of the plane usually breaks off . seperating you from the rest of the falling/tumbling/flaming magled mess.
incresing you chances of survival.
Quote by nodice182
How? They were just curious about the safety of different areas of a plane. It's obvious that not all seating areas are going to be identical in the amount of protection the provide.

Yeah look I personally wouldn't mind that much but it is really inconsiderate to those that find flying really difficult, have some tact people...

Quote by LaT3raluS
although its a lil sick, i must admit as a studyin pilot that i have talked about it several times and is not at all a tabu.

BTW, the safest place is in the back of the plane, or a long the center line of the wings

The back?! No way. Really? Is it bollocks!
Quote by Jackolas

Wait, what?

You reckon it's completely out of bounds to discuss where is probably the most stable place in a plane to sit...?
Quote by Kumanji
Wait, what?

You reckon it's completely out of bounds to discuss where is probably the most stable place in a plane to sit...?

Most normal people over the age of 16 don't want to hear about it ON a plane, trust me.

****ing hell!
"The conversation did not contain the words "bomb," "explosion," "terror" or other words that might have aroused suspicion, Irfan said."

well, obviosuly >...> if you were a terrorist you wouldn't even think of uttering those words while carrying out your mission.

Anyway I think it was right of them to be denied the flight...better to be on the safe side after all.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by Jackolas
Most normal people over the age of 16 don't want to hear about it ON a plane, trust me.

****ing hell!

Well, fair point, though it's not as if you can say they would have got the exact same treatment (ie being kicked off the flight) if they were white.
Quote by Jackolas
Yeah look I personally wouldn't mind that much but it is really inconsiderate to those that find flying really difficult, have some tact people...

The back?! No way. Really? Is it bollocks!

Really? I wouldn't have thought so. I had that conversation the first time I got on a plane because it calmed me down (I'm a terrible flyer).

Hell I've talked about it on buses too.
Quote by Laces Out Danny
"The conversation did not contain the words "bomb," "explosion," "terror" or other words that might have aroused suspicion, Irfan said."

well, obviosuly >...> if you were a terrorist you wouldn't even think of uttering those words while carrying out your mission.

Anyway I think it was right of them to be denied the flight...better to be on the safe side after all.

Despite the fact that if they were white they wouldn't have been removed from the plane the fact that the FBI cleared them and they still aren't allowed on is horrible.

There's being on the safe side and then there's being a prejudiced racist.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Laces Out Danny

I completely agree.

*rolls sleeves up*

If you and your family had to get on a plane with either LOADS of protection or NONE, which would you pick?

This is where the whole civil liberties argument can fall short. When people complain about protection on flights and all the scanning and such, ask them that question.

Quote by Kumanji
Well, fair point, though it's not as if you can say they would have got the exact same treatment (ie being kicked off the flight) if they were white.

Hypothetical situation, in which they still could have been.
Quote by Jackolas

Maybe one of them had a fear of flying and the other was trying to discuss the topic? You weren't there, which makes it harder to judge. Neither was I, but since the professional opinion is that they did nothing wrong, I fail to see why the airline wouldn't let them back on, except maybe racist bigotry. Racist people suck.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by travislausch
Maybe one of them had a fear of flying and the other was trying to discuss the topic? You weren't there, which makes it harder to judge. Neither was I, but since the professional opinion is that they did nothing wrong, I fail to see why the airline wouldn't let them back on, except maybe racist bigotry. Racist people suck.

Calm down dear it's only a discussion forum!

My mum has a fear of flying, and anyone else I know with one would absolutely hate to hear that ****.
Quote by Jackolas
I completely agree.

*rolls sleeves up*

If you and your family had to get on a plane with either LOADS of protection or NONE, which would you pick?

This is where the whole civil liberties argument can fall short. When people complain about protection on flights and all the scanning and such, ask them that question.

I'd rather sensible protection not provided by prejudiced morons who can't tell the difference between a family having a conversation that many people who are nervous about flying have (and anyone interested in planes or engineering) and a terrorist because when they see a brown person they decide to look for ANYTHING that might mark them out as a terrorist.

Quote by Jackolas
Calm down dear it's only a discussion forum!

My mum has a fear of flying, and anyone else I know with one would absolutely hate to hear that ****.
Solution: Stop listening to other people's conversations.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Crashing planes into stuff is sooo 2001

Im soo going to hell for that :/
This is my sig, isn't it

AWESOME?

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']I never understood Christianity.

A religion that is essentially based on stories about an invisible man that made the universe and a magic zombie that could walk on water and got nailed to a cross.
Quote by Jackolas
I completely agree.

*rolls sleeves up*

We're not talking about whether there should be air marshalls on plains (which of course there should), we're talking about a family who were denied a flight because they were percieved to be terrorists because of the colour of their skin.
I was at the airport once, and was talking about some other time when something-something happened. I can't really remember what. Anyway, the words "terror" and "threat" managed to find their ways out of my mouth...

I quickly realized that might not have been such a good idea when I got a little look from a security dude .
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
What idiots...

Quote by Laces Out Danny

Oh yeah, let's deny everyone discussing safety. Better to be on the safe side, isn't it?!

Oh cra-

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
What AirTran dont realise - If the plane is going to blow up, there really is no "safest" place to sit.
Quote by Andr00
good thing Obama has his own plane lol

I honestly lol'd.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by Jackolas

Maybe.

But I think it's possible to have a discussion about airline safety in a tactful way, and in a distasteful way. I heard an interview with the husband/father of the piece, and he's a lawyer and seems pretty intelligent. Anyway, he seemed like someone who was more likely to do it in a more tactful way.
Quote by juancsego

Click.
Look, If i was nervous about flying and i heard people (Anyone, not just Muslim) talking about the safest place to sit, i would **** a brick...
Quote by Kumanji
We're not talking about whether there should be air marshalls on plains (which of course there should), we're talking about a family who were denied a flight because they were percieved to be terrorists because of the colour of their skin.

What I said is completely relevent and I can tell from the replies it hit home, as such a statement always does no matter what your point on the political spectrum.

In regards to the racism that is a terrible thing, but travislausch, you can't tell people off for judging the "Muslims" and then judge the decisions the FBI or whoever took under real-life situations and stressful conditions.
Quote by Tallman
What AirTran dont realise - If the plane is going to blow up, there really is no "safest" place to sit.

What AirTrans don't realize is that not all non-white people are terrorists. This chap was a US citizen, for goodness' sake. My definition of a police state is one which holds every one of its own citizens suspect.

Quote by Jackolas
In regards to the racism that is a terrible thing, but travislausch, you can't tell people off for judging the "Muslims" and then judge the decisions the FBI or whoever took under real-life situations and stressful conditions.

Of course you can judge, the flight operator has been backed into a corner and forced to offer a refund and free flights after initially refusing to carry the family. They knew what they'd done was wrong.
Quote by Laces Out Danny

Well not really, that's even more ignorant than kicking them off the plane in the first place, if it has already been proven that they are in no way a threat they should be allowed back onto a later flight AND compensated for the inconvenience.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Quote by Tallman

Plus if you're an Islamic terrorist surely you will discuss your terror plans in Arabic, not English.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by OlivierF
Crashing planes into stuff is sooo 2001

Im soo going to hell for that :/

Quote by Kumanji
What AirTrans don't realize is that not all non-white people are terrorists. This chap was a US citizen, for goodness' sake. My definition of a police state is one which holds every one of its own citizens suspect.

Why the hell are you bringing buzzwords like "Police State" into this? Why why why?
Quote by Kumanji
In response to your invocation of civil liberties

Which were completely relevent and explained in context man.
the Funny thing is a person has less chance of bein killed in a plane the in a car im from SA half my friends are muslim racist people should die !!!!
Quote by hatecrew-81
the Funny thing is a person has less chance of bein killed in a plane the in a car im from SA half my friends are muslim racist people should die !!!!

"Racist people should die"...

I see.. Hang on..

Oh, the irony would be lost on some people...
Quote by Jackolas
Which were completely relevent and explained in context man.

I fear we're getting sidetracked xD

POINT IS: Would it be acceptable an American family in the Middle East to be kicked off a plane for discussing the same things? Wouldn't that be a complete international outrage?
Quote by Kumanji
I fear we're getting sidetracked xD

POINT IS: Would it be acceptable an American family in the Middle East to be kicked off a plane for discussing the same things? Wouldn't that be a complete international outrage?

Yeah probably, but what we gonna do? Don't blame us man, blame Murdoch or someone...
Not trying to sound racist here, but with everyone saying that if it was white people who said it, then they wouldn't have got kicked off the plane, most terrorists are coloured, because the religions originated in those countries i think.
Although, yes it is unfair to discriminate because of colour, i don't think there will be many white terrorists.
Once again, i don't mean to sound racist!