im only 16 and dont know tons about old vinyl but i do collect. personally i like the sound of the records i think it captures the real sound and meaning of classic rock.
your point being?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
what do you guys think... do like the way music is produced now or do you like the old vinyl???
I personally own about 200 LPs and, with the new re-issues of old albums on more durable vinyl, they cannot be beat. I actually just bought a new turntable to hook up to my Home Theater System
Pot
Kettle
Black
ya i just got a new record player for xmas tht hooks up to my huge speakers in my room so ya i just blast my LPs all day every day
I've got an old Zeppelin live record and Hotel California, but my dad's got a ton. I listen to 'em every now and then. I don't know that they sound any better, but I do like it better that way. Unfortunately, they just can't trump the convenience of CDs and MP3s and the like.
tht is true they r not convenient but i put all my old records onto itunes through my record player so i an listen to them anywhere but u cant beat blasting them through some huge speakers
personally, i prefer records. they sound warmer and more organic. Plus, a lot of CD's don't reproduce all of the artwork that came with a record sleeve. album covers, especially ones from bands like yes and pink floyd were works of art.
These Amplifiers go to 11
Gear:
Black Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass Bass II Bridge
Peavy Max-112
Various Others (keyboard, 12-string, etc)
i listen to mp3's. I havent the money r the space o the patience for records. However i did make the mistake of ripping all my music to 128kbps... now im paying the price!
Are you high?

But yeah, there is a certain satisfaction to holding monstorous artwork in your hand and knowing your listening to something that was made in the 60s or 70s when the albums were actually released.
well thats not to say that digital versions don't have some advantages. I just got Foxtrot by Genesis on remastered CD and it certainly is crisper and cleaner. its easier to hear the subtleties and different textures you couldn't pick out before. But there is a certain satisfaction to owning vinyl that i wouldn't give up. one time i played my vinyl of Dark Side of the Moon to my big pink floyd fan friend and he said it sounded completely different.
Gear:
Peavy Max-112
P.S. This weekend i unearthed a vinyl of Leftoverture by Kansas in my town's record store, still in the shrink wrap even. I'm debating whether or not i should take it out and listen to it or just download the album off the internet and preserve the mint condition record.
I agree with Maet. Factually, FLAC is the best way to listen to music. I have about 400 vinyls I've been collecting for about three years. I like them because you get the original full-sized artwork, and the album costs you only a dollar or two. I've discovered so many bands through buying old beat-up vinyls.
Calender

Quote by Xaldin714
why does Thin Lizzy sing in english if they are from ireland
Quote by jcasey77
P.S. This weekend i unearthed a vinyl of Leftoverture by Kansas in my town's record store, still in the shrink wrap even. I'm debating whether or not i should take it out and listen to it or just download the album off the internet and preserve the mint condition record.

why dont you just buy the CD, downloading music shortens your life
'Music is the best"
Zappa
the only place that sells CD's around here are Wal-Mart and FYE, neither of which would ever have that album. and since i don't have a credit card, i can't buy the cd offline.
Gear:
Peavy Max-112
Quote by ledzeppelinman
im only 16 and dont know tons about old vinyl but i do collect. personally i like the sound of the records i think it captures the real sound and meaning of classic rock.

If you can, definitely get your classic rock/heavy metal stuff on vinyl. Generally the sound is warmer and gives almost a "live" feel to the sound, so in my opinion it's very much worth your time. Not that cds aren't good, for some recordings they are perfect, but older stuff just goes with the vinyl format better.

I have a reissue of an Angel Witch album as an LP, (heavy metal, but w/e), and it sounds absolutely brilliant

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
i imagine playing them faster puts more stress on the grooves and wears out the record faster. I have a record player that allows you to adjust the pitch by slightly increasing or decreasing the speed of the turntable, but i wouldn't recommend say, playing a 33 at 45 speed.
I grew up with vinyl. Vinyl is the best way to enjoy the music they way your heroes meant it to be enjoyed. I find that music made for vinyl sounds great on vinyl, CDs are good but they sound doesn't seem to breathe as well. CDs sound very digital and very compressed. On the contrary, I have some CDs that sound great and the CD format is better than vinyl in terms of durability and portability and things like that. Anything's better than cassettes - boy those were a step back!
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
I was kicking back with some vinyl last night Listened to a bit of Bad Company, bit of Bowie.