Hey all,

I just wanted to get a little bit of advice on buying an amp. I just got a new electric guitar, the Fender Highway One Strat HSS (MIA). I picked it out after it blew away an American Deluxe (in my opinion), on a Fender Supersonic amp that was sitting on the floor. Of course, I am more of an acoustic guitar junky, so maybe what I favor in sound isn't everyone's cup of tea. But even my fiance could hear the huge sound difference between the two. (Not to say that the American Deluxe was bad by any means, just that it didn't have the unique tonal quality of Highway One.)

At any rate, unfortunately, I don't have too much, other than a practice amp, to play the guitar through. I also have a really old Crate combo amp, that's on it's last legs (doing tons of bizarre stuff, like switching channels and volume levels on it's own in the middle of playing). Also, it never sounded THAT great to begin with, as I got it used, partially rebuilt, and overall not in pristine condition by any means.

So now, with my Fender Strat (one of the very few electrics I've ever wanted), I feel I'm ready to spend a little to get an amp that's going to do the guitar justice. Now, to a point, I feel the safe bet would be to go back to a Supersonic, as I absolutely fell in love with the pairing at the store, and almost walked out with both.

However, with a $1300 sticker price, and people in reviews complaining left and right about this amps lack of durability and reliability, it makes me a bit leery.

In any case, I'd like an amp (most likely a combo), that will play nice clean, but also have the ability to step it up a bit for rock and blues.

As far as the music I play, I'm all over the board, but a lot of it is softer rock/alternative, played with clean or semi-clean sounding guitars. I also am a country fan and have been looking into some blues music.

So, I'm really not too concerned about something that will allow me major distortion for playing Disturbed or Nu-Metal or Heavy Metal in general.

Also, I would like something with enough sound for small gigs (bars/restaurants/etc..) and playing with a drummer, just in case.

As far as my budget goes, I'd like to keep it around, or preferably UNDER $1000.

I'm open to trying out any brand/model that you guys think will match my sound and budget needs, so any opinions would be helpful, thanks! And if it's a matter of spending a couple of hundred extra to get an amp that's REALLY worth it, I would be willing to consider that as well.
the new bogner alchemist series i heard they are great amps
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
If you want good cleans and blues, Fender is always a good option.
Maybe try a Hot Rod Deville, a Hot Rod Deluxe, or a Blues Deluxe.
If you want something a little smaller, try a Blues Jr. It might not have the power you want for gigs though.
If you like the sound of the Supersonic, other Fender amps might be the way to go.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
a Blues Jr. just might have enough sound for gigs if you aren't worried about having your tone a little dirty. I think one of the Fender amps would suit you well, TS
peavey classic 30 maybe, just got mine and I love it for cleans and classic rock. Also those fenders mentioned above would be good choices, or a traynor ycv40.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
A Highway One with unique tonal qualites?

The ones I've seen have been generic and average both when it comes to tone and playability...

A Fender Blues Junior would probably the best match.

Or a Blues Deluxe
if you look on ebay or craigslist you could easily pick up a fender deluxe reverb reissue(or any other fender for that matter),orange rocker 30, or if you insist on buying new look into a peavey classic 30 or that NOS blues junior (upgraded speaker and tubes). i wouldnt advise getting a hot rod deluxe if you choose to go fender. i dont really like mine not versatile enough, though if i bought better pedals it could be perfect

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I've heard mixed reviews on Highway Ones, so maybe I really lucked out with the one I picked up, but I thought it sounded great and very unique. I'm also not the first to say I chose it over more expensive models, because I honestly thought it played and sounded nicer. I think a lot of people are put off by the finish and price, which automatically makes them assume it's a typical crappy, low end instrument. The only real thing that needed to be adjusted was the action, which was set too high originally. Other than it was smoother feeling than any other American strat I picked up.

But then again, everyone's sound and style preferences are different.

Thanks for the advice on amps.

Does anyone know if the Blues Deluxe or Hot Rod Deluxe will be too loud for practice amps? People seem to have mixed opinions on that. Thanks!
Quote by Dezz 21
I've heard mixed reviews on Highway Ones, so maybe I really lucked out with the one I picked up, but I thought it sounded great and very unique. I'm also not the first to say I chose it over more expensive models, because I honestly thought it played and sounded nicer. I think a lot of people are put off by the finish and price, which automatically makes them assume it's a typical crappy, low end instrument. The only real thing that needed to be adjusted was the action, which was set too high originally. Other than it was smoother feeling than any other American strat I picked up.

But then again, everyone's sound and style preferences are different.

Thanks for the advice on amps.

Does anyone know if the Blues Deluxe or Hot Rod Deluxe will be too loud for practice amps? People seem to have mixed opinions on that. Thanks!

Ah.

The other guitarist in my band has one, sounds so bland imho.

He might've had bad luck I guess
i would try a fender princeton or deluxe reverb. i beleive they come up right under $1000, and are great sounding amps.
and IMO, the blues deluxe and Hot Rod Deluxe are too loud for practicing. i have to turn mine up pretty loud before i like the tone. (could be due to the touchy volume pot.)

edit/ and i love the Higway one strats. ive only played maybe 3 though. the nitrocellulose finish is what sets them apart.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Jan 3, 2009,
what was it that you liked about the supersonic? to me personally, its main selling point was the cleans- you could get tweedy and blackfacey cleans out of the same amp, i could be wrong, but i'm not aware of too many other reasonably-priced amps which let you get that. I didn't much like the overdrive channel, though (like most modern fenders i've tried).

so, er, yeah. if it's the cleans which made you like it, fender may be the way to go. but if it's the overdrive, if you ask me you can get a lot better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what was it that you liked about the supersonic? to me personally, its main selling point was the cleans- you could get tweedy and blackfacey cleans out of the same amp, i could be wrong, but i'm not aware of too many other reasonably-priced amps which let you get that. I didn't much like the overdrive channel, though (like most modern fenders i've tried).

so, er, yeah. if it's the cleans which made you like it, fender may be the way to go. but if it's the overdrive, if you ask me you can get a lot better.

my thoughts on the supersonic were the opposite of yours haha. (well youve heard of gain *****s, im sort of a clean ***** lol)
i really liked the dirty channels, but not the clean sounds. i liked them, i just didnt love them.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I would just get the Blues Jr for now since you are just starting out and then keep trying out amps as you develop your tone and such and then trade up later. Blues Jrs hold value well and are easy to sell on say craigslist.

In other words, if you got the Supersonic now and spend 1,000 and then you find out you don't like it as much later, it might be harder to sell. Don't know.
Quote by chea_man
my thoughts on the supersonic were the opposite of yours haha. (well youve heard of gain *****s, im sort of a clean ***** lol)
i really liked the dirty channels, but not the clean sounds. i liked them, i just didnt love them.

haha
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?