Hi, I am a beginner bass player, I have a Fender Squier J-bass, and I am very interested in learning the technique Slap, but when I try to apply it in my bass I'm not able to do it well and it sounds horrible.
I don't know if it has to be with the kind of bass (which is passive), the amplifier, wich is an ibanez SW20, or otherwise. I would appreciate if you can explan in detail how to develop this technique or show me some good link to learn correctly. Well, thanks in advance.
My squier j-bass is very good with slap. It might be just your technique condsidering you just started.
My Gear
  • Squier Jazz Bass
  • Ibanez Gio GAX Bass
  • Yamaha F-130 Acoustic Guitar
  • Epiphone SG special edition Guitar
  • Traynor Bass Mate 25
  • Boss ME-20B
  • Boss OBD-3
The Jazz is know for it's slap tone.

I would go on youtube, search slap bass lessons, they're are a few decent ones of there.
Set evreything on your amp to neutral first. Its all about the technique, slap closer to the neck for sure.

alot of lessons on youtube are crap and will teach you wrong but i found these two guys to be really good.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MarloweDK
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dmanlamius76

look through their videos for the slap technique, Once you get the basics keep practising it.
Dont get sloppy.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Usually slap bass does not use too much midrange, mainly boosted treble and bass(although I may be wrong) so try cutting back on the midrange of your amp and boosting the treble and bass.

Your technique is more important to the tone than the EQ on the amp though, so learn properly the first time; it will help a lot.
I'd recommend putting on fresh strings if you feel that its not due to your technique. Old strings are a pain in the a$$ to slap. Trust me, dead strings are very tedious to slap, and with new ones its like cutting butter with a laser.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
Meh, it shouldnt make a huge difference what strings you have.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Meh, it shouldnt make a huge difference what strings you have.

Not the strings, but string age. The ones I just changed were 5 months old and played intensively every day....
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
Oh i get you, but still the strings im using are around 5 months old, i dont have an amp to play through at the mo though so....,

I think it could because your amps small and cant provide the necissary ounch needed to make a good slap sound.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul