Hi,

Today I got my first proper amp, a Randall rg50tc. I managed to get it for £295 too. I'm happy with it so far but I have a few questions I'd like your help on.

Only the two power valves are glowing and the pre-amp valves aren't, is this normal?

I've heard that tube amps sound best while cranked so I'm thinking about buying a power attenuator and I've looked at the THD Hot Plate, but other than that I don't know many others. Are there any others that are recommended?

Thanks.
Is the amp producing any sound? If it is, then the pre-amp tubes are also working. Sometimes, the heaters are kind of hidden by the plates and other inner workings of the tubes, so it may not be real obvious. Also, if you touch them and they're hot - they're working. Be careful not to burn yourself.

If you're referring to distortion, then yes. By cranking the amp, you'll get distortion, which can sound quite nice on a tube amp. Be advised that this will also wear out the tubes a lot faster, especially the power tubes.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Is the amp producing any sound? If it is, then the pre-amp tubes are also working. Sometimes, the heaters are kind of hidden by the plates and other inner workings of the tubes, so it may not be real obvious. Also, if you touch them and they're hot - they're working. Be careful not to burn yourself.

If you're referring to distortion, then yes. By cranking the amp, you'll get distortion, which can sound quite nice on a tube amp. Be advised that this will also wear out the tubes a lot faster, especially the power tubes.

Thanks, the amp is producing sound, I was just making sure everything was working.
You don't need an attenuator unless you need power tube distortion for blues or classic rock. Otherwise, don't bother.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
You don't need an attenuator unless you need power tube distortion for blues or classic rock. Otherwise, don't bother.

O.K thanks, I just picked up on it from somewhere.
Well if its making noise then the pre-tubes are working. I'm pretty sure that the Hot Plate is a fairly common attenuator so I would just go with that if you'd like, but like Steven already said cranking your amp wears out the tubes and an attenuator probably doesn't help so just be sure and change the tubes once every 10-12months. Enjoy the new amp my friend!!
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Quote by H_ngm_n
Well if its making noise then the pre-tubes are working. I'm pretty sure that the Hot Plate is a fairly common attenuator so I would just go with that if you'd like, but like Steven already said cranking your amp wears out the tubes and an attenuator probably doesn't help so just be sure and change the tubes once every 10-12months. Enjoy the new amp my friend!!

Thanks for all the replies. Now I just have to work out where to put it because my room is quite small .
OK my amps been fine but just now its started to randomly become quieter. I shut it off and looked around the back, I then smelt a strange smell but the air near my laptop fan smells the same. Does my amp have a problem?
Last edited by a_man at Jan 4, 2009,
Unless the strange smell is burning then no, its all good. The getting quieter thing is probably a bad tube.

I wouldn't get an attenuator if you're playing metal, it won't really be necessary. Also, if you do decide for some reason you want one, I'd go with a weber mass unit. The webers are cheaper, have more features, and put a more realistic load on the amp than the resistor based hot plate.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Unless the strange smell is burning then no, its all good. The getting quieter thing is probably a bad tube.

Thanks, is there any way I can test the tubes? Ive only had it for a day .

While I've got this thread open, why is one of my pre-amp tubes got a metal casing and the others don't?
Last edited by a_man at Jan 4, 2009,