Unless you can give me a real reason as to why i shouldnt, im ordering this tomorow at mid-day. Would be grateful if someone could find it at a better price, but its not essential
nice head, but do you have a cab?
you're gonna need one to use that amp.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
dont have a cab yet, atm planning on getting the GK 4x10 thats supposed to match it, and later maybe a 1x15. Its just that if i wait to save and buy it all together, i wont be able to take advantage of the euro to sterling rate the way it is at the moment, which is fantastic i might add
oh okay lol

its a nice amp, flea uses a 2001-rb i think but thats just cause he has the money to :P
you could always buy a cheap cab to use until you buy the matching one. take a look at whats for sale used around your area, you might find something nice for cheap
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
If you dont mind ebay, and find out how to swap the voltage

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=320329230577

Nice to see anoither Irish User and especially bass player.

there always good and reliable, the only things thats annoying is the price of cabs that are really expensive. Are you sure you need that much power, the 700rb would provide enough power for most venues in Ireland.

The peavey tvx 115 would make a good cab to go with it to begin with. And there a good prie on gak.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Jan 3, 2009,
^^swapping voltage is difficult and pricey, and if not done to absolute perfection, dangerous. I was given a quick low-down on it, when my mom stopped me from bringing a $800 trace elliot head home from the states .

The last gig i played, i was playing through the headline acts ampeg full stack, i didnt struggle or anything, but had the place been any bigger, i might have.., so i would prefer to spend an extra 200 quid now, than a new amp again in a few years.

Im gonna look into second hand stuff, if im buying a temp cab, but hopefully next weeks paycheck might let me buy the GK 4x10 soon
Can i asked what ampeh he was using, The secong hand bass market in Ireland is crap and you can barely find anything. Trace elliot have voltage selectors dont they? Im buying one and it does.

Some amps are easy to swap the voltage others need a whole new transformer which is tricky, That one in the ebay link, I emailed Gallien kreuger abvout it a couple of days ago but thwey never got back to me.

But if you can afford it go ahead. Its a solid amp that will last you along time.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
feck, i didnt see the model name, it was too dark and i cant find it on the ampeg site. All i can remember was it had a 9 or 12 band graphic EQ and the power switch was at the back... It looked pretty old.

Im gonna go check their myspace and see if i can get anything
Its just alot of ampeg stuff is underpowered and stuff, so if it was 450(im guessing a b2re, 450 or svt 3) watts, it wont compare atall to the G-K of same wattage, which will sound alot louder. Also things like speaker size and the amount of them, will make a differnce in volume.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
had a look at the video on the front of their page, but i cant make anything out... too far away..

Well his rig was the ampeg head and an ampeg 1x15 and 4x10.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=41645007 in the LIVE FROM "TONIGHT THE CITY BURNS" IN BELFAST" video on their profile you can see the rig, but i cant make anything out really
funny thing about GK amps, they're known to combust (ie go on fire). all except their 2001rb and 800rb, of their current lineup, is known to have this problem. granted not all of them will, but one store i visited asking about the return rate told me just about every GK they sold excluding 800rb's are returned for one reason or another and the most popular is they explode.

2001rb's however, have a very minor and dumb wiring problem that goes out after a month or two that cuts the power entirely. its entirely caused by poor soldering is easily fixed. as far, tahts the only problem with those i can find (and believe me i've been researching).

800rb's seem flawless, one sales tech dude described them as one of those 'fluke phenomenons that are just perfectly right and comes out of nowhere' or something like that. which woudl explain why out of their entire lineup it has received the least modifications/updates.

bottom line, your new GK might blow on ya... might. personally, i'm still gonna buy one in the near future (cause i can't see myself needing or saving enough for a 2001RB, and 800RB's lack of a useable biamp bothers me to ****s, but i might get over that). make sure you have a good warranty and returning/exchanging/replacing wont be a bitch.
Im thinking in and svt 3 pro, Which is a nice head but really underpowered, Its rated at 450 but i would say its more around 300-350 watts. But its nice to have headroom, you wont have to upgrade, and will be able to pull a cleaner tone at higher volume(if you lime that) but can dirty it up nicely. If you were playing that gig, It looks faidly big, So ya Go and get The 1001rb, But you will most likely be able to get awaywith 700rb, and get some pedals or something.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul