Well I recently got wireless internet and a new computer in my room. Do I need to buy a wireless adapter for my xbox? I already have a wireless adapter that I plug into my computer for internet connection. Can I just plug in my USB lead from my xbox to my computer when my computer has connection? Or do I need the official Xbox adapter?

Thanks I just don't want to spend £60 on an adapter when i'm already paying £5 a month for xbox live.
Just plug the ethernet cable from your router into your XBox. If you can't reach or you'd rather have wireless, keep in mind that the XBox only supports certain routers. They have a list on their site.
You can't do it with a USB but you can with the ethernet cable which came with your xbox. I've tried to do it and it doesn't work for me but that's because of other reasons. Ultimately what you have to do is allow internet sharing from your laptop, share the internet coming in from the wireless net work and share it with your ethernet port, then connect your xbox and laptop through ethernet. It's more complicated than that as you have to set up the correct settings in your xbox's network blade but that is the gist of it and you can find detailed guides to doing it on google. Also, use the gaming thread in future.
Quote by blynd_snyper
You can't do it with a USB but you can with the ethernet cable which came with your xbox. I've tried to do it and it doesn't work for me but that's because of other reasons. Ultimately what you have to do is allow internet sharing from your laptop, share the internet coming in from the wireless net work and share it with your ethernet port, then connect your xbox and laptop through ethernet. It's more complicated than that as you have to set up the correct settings in your xbox's network blade but that is the gist of it and you can find detailed guides to doing it on google. Also, use the gaming thread in future.

This will work, but the connection through wireless to a laptop to an xbox is pure crap. It lags other players out for some reason, thus allowing you to "steal host connection"
Quote by blynd_snyper

How do I "Allow internet sharing"

thanks
Quote by guitar12
How do I "Allow internet sharing"

thanks

Depends on what OS you're running, like I said google will help more than I can. Unfortunately as El Gigante mentioned there are problems with connecting through laptops, namely NAT, which is the reason I've never been able to log on successfully. However, if you can find a way around this it should work fine.
Ethernet really is the way to go here, Itll be cheaper, easier, and give you a better connection to just by an ethernet cable that can reach your xbox, rather then buy the adapter or try some of the suggestions above.
Quote by Jvig43
Ethernet really is the way to go here, Itll be cheaper, easier, and give you a better connection to just by an ethernet cable that can reach your xbox, rather then buy the adapter or try some of the suggestions above.

This.

All of my friends have tried the "laptop adapter" method, none have succeeded. I recommend a 50 ft ethernet cable. I ran my through the attic, or, if you're lazy, just drop it on the floor.
Run an ethernet cable from your router to the Xbox 360, or buy an adapter. Those are the only two sure ways to experience Xbox Live. Plugging into your computer and whatnot are not good ways to do it. You don't NEED the adapter if the router is in your room with you. Just run the ethernet cable that came with your console to a port on the router. Easy. For wireless play, the Xbox 360 will support most routers but it's always good to check Xbox's website to see if your router is compatible. It supports the major brands (D-Link, Linksys, etc.) but you should still check. I use a Linksys Wireless G router (the one with two antennae) and my router is on the other side of the house and I get full signal and no lag.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Warheart1188
Run an ethernet cable from your router to the Xbox 360, or buy an adapter. Those are the only two sure ways to experience Xbox Live. Plugging into your computer and whatnot are not good ways to do it. You don't NEED the adapter if the router is in your room with you. Just run the ethernet cable that came with your console to a port on the router. Easy. For wireless play, the Xbox 360 will support most routers but it's always good to check Xbox's website to see if your router is compatible. It supports the major brands (D-Link, Linksys, etc.) but you should still check. I use a Linksys Wireless G router (the one with two antennae) and my router is on the other side of the house and I get full signal and no lag.

It is by no means a surefire way to play xbox live. I tried using an ethernet cable from a D-Link router to my xbox and it didn't work, I then tried the same with a Netgear and have the same problem.
Quote by Warheart1188

Well my router is downstairs sos I guess I will have get the adapter or a really long cable.

thanks everyone,
Quote by blynd_snyper
It is by no means a surefire way to play xbox live. I tried using an ethernet cable from a D-Link router to my xbox and it didn't work, I then tried the same with a Netgear and have the same problem.

I wouldn't recommend this either. Like I said just skip the whole wireless idea if you don't want to spend a lot of money, ethernet cables are the way to go.
Quote by El Gigante
I wouldn't recommend this either. Like I said just skip the whole wireless idea if you don't want to spend a lot of money, ethernet cables are the way to go.

No, when I tried that method it involved no wireless connections whatsoever. I connected my modem to my router, and my router to my xbox via ethernet cable. Didn't work with either D-Link or Netgear.
buy an adapter for your xbox360 if you want to go wireless, the Ethernet cable lagged me to hell
There was a Signature here.

It's gone now.