so im recording with garage band (absolute crap i know) and when i play my recordings they only come out of one speaker even though its set up to be played out of both... when i move the thing that picks which speaker more sound comes out of it doesnt do anything... any suggestions... besides not using garage band?

oh and im using the stereo input
Are you recording in Mono, or Stereo?

( I have no idea how Garage band works, I've used it once, or twice.)
make sure you're recording in stereo
check to see if the cables are connected properly to the speaker
check the speaker itself
check the settings and make sure nothing is panned too hard one way or another

one of those should solve your problem
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
maybe the speaker isnt switched on, the power cable has come unplugged, the volume is turned down on that speaker, its panned 100% to the other speaker.
any of these??
My current acoustic group:

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals

its the right speaker... its on and it works fine for everything else, and the panning is at + 0 so its right in the middle... if i pan towards the right speaker it just goes silent.. i believe that i recorded in stereo but im not sure... anyone know how to check?
i'm not familiar with garageband, but if you record in stereo, you should see two sets of the 'sound waves' (i'm not sure the proper term is) one on top of the other. whereas mono, should just have one set. thats how it displays it in Sonar anyway. sorry if that wasnt any help
does the speaker work with other programs, like windows media player for example?? just to make sure that the speaker isnt broken?
My current acoustic group:

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals

When I play/record through/to my computer through the line-in with a mono-patch cord, it only plays through the left speaker (same deal happens when I pan 100% to the right, it just goes mute), but when I play what I've recorded, it plays through both speakers. That doesn't solve your problem, but wouldn't recording a mono instrument in stereo be pointless?
If your problem is Garageband, it's probably fixable through the settings. From everything I hear about it, it's way better than Audacity anyways.

EDIT: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037108
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Last edited by sSyLc at Jan 4, 2009,
Your guitar sends a mono-signal (left). When you record in stereo your computer expects 2 signals (left and right) but only gets the mono-signal from your guitar.

Try recording in mono.