Page 1 of 2
I've recently decided to buy an acoustic, and simply can't resist the Ibanez aw40.

Last time i checked (around late November), they were around £165. I searched for one just now on google shopping, and was told £165. However, when i clicked on links to websites, the price of this guitar shot through the roof, and were around £240.

What's going on here, is there something i'm missing? IT'S A CONSPIRACY, I TELLS YA!

UPDATE: I can only watch in awe as GAK have shot their price up by 60 quid!

There is only one website on my list that now sells for a reasonable price. What's going on?

UPDATE 2: Now Dolphin music, my last aw40 suppler, has shot up to £230. This now matches the rest of them.

There's supposed to be a recession and national sales as stores try to entice customers in with low prices in a last-ditch attempt to save themselves from backruptcy. All i see is guitar prices going through the roof.
Last edited by Hypnotisation at Jan 6, 2009,
sorry, bro, i bought an AW-35 which had a ****E load of problems, and those warranties ibanez hands out are FAKE due to the fact they have NO customer service!

STAY AWAY FROM IBANEZ!

My artwood has about every problem it can! electrics didn't work, frets buzz like crazy, have had to mod it several times just to get it semi playable, everytime i tune the neck bows... it SUCKS
Credit crunch?? lol
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
that guitar IS really sexy looking, but like i said with regards to mine.. it was a failure
Quote by redking14ca
sorry, bro, i bought an AW-35 which had a ****E load of problems, and those warranties ibanez hands out are FAKE due to the fact they have NO customer service!

STAY AWAY FROM IBANEZ!

My artwood has about every problem it can! electrics didn't work, frets buzz like crazy, have had to mod it several times just to get it semi playable, everytime i tune the neck bows... it SUCKS

Awwww crap, but...the fretboard vines are just SEX. It's a good ornament above all!

..and Skeet UK, thanks! I must have overlooked that site. It better be worth it

EDIT: Wow, that site even does Ibanez hardcases!
Last edited by Hypnotisation at Jan 3, 2009,
Ummm....yeahhh......

You can get a guitar that sounds better than an AW Ibanez for that price.

Actually, you can get a guitar that sounds better UNDER that price.

Please, PLEASE don't get an acoustic just because it looks cool. And never go by company specs on the Ibanez website. Always go by the specs on Musician's Friend.

Trust me, Ibanez acoustics aren't worth the money you pay for them. Quality and tone on them are pretty bad.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I've got the electro-acoustic version of that very guitar and I bought it for the sound/feel not looks..

And yes I shall enjoy the flaming very much thanks....
Call me Duncan.

Nearly always have D'addario EXL110 strings instock - just ask!

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
Seagull S6

Takamine G340S

Yamaha FG330S

Also be willing to look used. I saw a Takamine A/E at one of my local shops that goes for $600 new for $275 used.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Hypnotisation
Awwww crap, but...the fretboard vines are just SEX. It's a good ornament above all!

..and Skeet UK, thanks! I must have overlooked that site. It better be worth it

EDIT: Wow, that site even does Ibanez hardcases!

Yeah, well I thought if I can help a fellow Brit, then I will.

I know little of the Ibanez acoustics, but the guys on here seem to think they suck ass.

They also have reservations about the Dean Exotica/Performa range as well.

Personally, I love the Dean Exotics in blue. I tried one, yes, bit bright due to the maple, but the one I tried was overall, nicely made and sounded pretty decent.

I have to agree, that Takemine seem to make the best budget acoustics, but the Dean is simply stunning. Will be about £270 though.

Quote by Skeet UK
Yeah, well I thought if I can help a fellow Brit, then I will.

I know little of the Ibanez acoustics, but the guys on here seem to think they suck ass.

They also have reservations about the Dean Exotica/Performa range as well.

Personally, I love the Dean Exotics in blue. I tried one, yes, bit bright due to the maple, but the one I tried was overall, nicely made and sounded pretty decent.

I have to agree, that Takemine seem to make the best budget acoustics, but the Dean is simply stunning. Will be about £270 though.

Thanks again, the Dean is quite a good looking guitar, but it's a bit too pricey (since for £270 i'd want a hardcase too!) and it's a DEAN, and i'm too prejudiced to see past that.

In response to the user above Skeet, thanks too! That Takamine looks alright, and they're supposed to be a good brand. I need to do more research.
stay away from anything flashy.

you cant have looks tone and comfort all in one at a low price range.

not saying that ugly stuff is cool but just try to stay away from cool looking things. it most likely won't sound very good.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
^ Not necessarily. If you get a gloss black, cool sunburst (I've even seen redburst, blueburst, etc.), or a solid exotic wood (WARNING: EXPENSIVE!) then you can have your looks, tone, and comfort all in one!

The problem though, is that most of the time an acoustic with a quilted top or exotic wood top will be a laminate, and you really want to have a solid top, because vibrations will resonate through the wood better than they will through layers of wood and glue, and because of that, the solid top will sound better.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by about
stay away from anything flashy.

you cant have looks tone and comfort all in one at a low price range.

not saying that ugly stuff is cool but just try to stay away from cool looking things. it most likely won't sound very good.

which is why i haven't bought one of those guitars off TGX... www.guitarimports.com

Just been trying to decide.. ehhhhh.....

so cheap... solid woods... seams legit?

Yeah, i regret buying an ibanez artwood... it looks amazing, but i had a SLEW of problems, the saddle was WAY to low, the replacement was WAY to high... still buzzes... got it to where it doesn't MURDER my hands, and there is still a buzz at the 1st 2nd and sometimes 3rd fret... all of them if your a mad strumer, or heavy picker.

the electrics didnt work almost at all.. it picked up the EA and D faintly, and it was BOTH the piezo AND the saddle... i got the saddle flat, still compeltely unbalanced and NO E... i ended up gutting the electrics, trying to get the action low enough to play i ruined the saddle and now have to wedge a tooth pick between it and the bridge...

I want to have an acoustic electric, and have been planning on getting a pickup that i can use in my squier and whatever other acoustic i buy (like if i decide to buy a nice one) but since there is so much debating about pickups i figure, why spend 300$ on a pickup and 50-100$ on getting my very bottomless guitar set up professionally (new saddle and nut) when i can just spend 400$ on a much better guitar? i'm just gonna save my money... and buy a tak or breedlove, or a taylor....

kinda want a twelve string and a slide guitar.. but i was a good main guitar first...

did i mention the warranties on the ibanez guitars are fake? there is NO customer support.. no number, HARD to even find the e-mail address, and they willl NOT give you an RMA for ANY reason or even respond most of the time... ****e sux
Well, sorry that you had to go through all of that, but I'd like to celebrate the fact that another soul has been saved from the evils of Ibanez acoustics.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
^ Not necessarily. If you get a gloss black, cool sunburst (I've even seen redburst, blueburst, etc.), or a solid exotic wood (WARNING: EXPENSIVE!) then you can have your looks, tone, and comfort all in one!

The problem though, is that most of the time an acoustic with a quilted top or exotic wood top will be a laminate, and you really want to have a solid top, because vibrations will resonate through the wood better than they will through layers of wood and glue, and because of that, the solid top will sound better.

That kinda defeats the purpose of what you just said? Since i said that you can't really get looks tone and comfort all in one at a low price, you went ahead and said that you can but with a price (of money or of wood).

sunburst anything doesn't count as flashy imo.

and redking14ca, just buy a yamaha and get it over with. overall very good guitars.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Ah. Sorry. I didn't see the low price part. Somehow I skipped over that when I was reading your post.

And I agree. You're not going to get a cheap guitar with flashy looks (quilted tops, etc.) that sounds good and is worth hat you paid for it.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I've recently decided to buy an acoustic, and simply can't resist the Ibanez aw40.

Please resist, please. take the price hike as a sign that you're not meant to own it. Ive played 2 AW40's and they were both in the top 10 worst sounding acoustic guitars I've ever played. Thats including laminate top acoustics.
Ummm.....dude, AW's ARE laminate
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Well, sorry that you had to go through all of that, but I'd like to celebrate the fact that another soul has been saved from the evils of Ibanez acoustics.

actually I'm trapped in ibanez hell due to my poor choice in acoustic picking, knowing nothing about buying a guitar when i bought it almost exactly a year ago.
the warranty will be over at the end of this month and ive been trying to send it back for 10 MONTHS!!! THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO 350$ thrown down the toilet! rage... there's not a rage face up on this b.

on a lighter note some of their electrics are OK.
Awww shucks, but i want a pretty guitar with hardcase for around £250!!!

It CAN'T be plain, should i save up and wait until i can buy one of these exotics? I know it's going to last for years and be taken around to lots of places (including uni, in 1 1/2 years time).

The Epiphone Doves look quite pretty, but they manage to be feck-ugly at the same time Waa!
Its the EW's that are laminate not the AW's.. Only the b&s are laminate not the top (although models vary).
Despite my earlier comment I would add that they all seem to vary drastically from guitar to guitar, I have played some that are god awful as well.
Go to a shop and try one as there are too many completly opposite opinions being flied around.
Call me Duncan.

Nearly always have D'addario EXL110 strings instock - just ask!

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
Quote by Hypnotisation
Awww shucks, but i want a pretty guitar with hardcase for around £250!!!

It CAN'T be plain, should i save up and wait until i can buy one of these exotics? I know it's going to last for years and be taken around to lots of places (including uni, in 1 1/2 years time).

The Epiphone Doves look quite pretty, but they manage to be feck-ugly at the same time Waa!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acoustic-Guitar-Tanglewood-TW1000_W0QQitemZ330297236151QQihZ014QQcategoryZ2385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nice guitar. The inlays make it less plain.
Wait till last minute and go 175. He might have a hardcase in can throw in, or buy for you to post it up in.?
:O They're...they're...beautiful. Especially the last two blue ones.

Thanks very much Skeet
Quote by Hypnotisation
:O They're...they're...beautiful. Especially the last two blue ones.

Thanks very much Skeet

I wood go for the last one. Yamaha. Train down to oxford, it's a day out right?

Mind you. The smart choice would be the Art & Lutherie one.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jan 4, 2009,
Yes it would. But i'm not THAT sensible, am i?

I looked into ZivaGuitars, the company behind that painted one, and they do all sorts on designs. The problem is, i didn't fall in love with any of them!

Yamaha in Oxford dude. Email the guy, he may end it early if you offer a fair price, or try your luck with the auction.

I don't expect many people will pay more than the £100 he is asking.

Might cost you £60 to get there and back, or just get him to post it, always best to talk to the guy over the phone. You think you could pass for a childs fare?
Haha no way, i've got facial hair. Got to wait a week before i've got the cash anyway, so unless i phone him to reserve it i'm out of it.
Quote by redking14ca
Congratulations

That would be in response to, could he pass for a child on the train.

So, quite relevant.
Quote by Skeet UK
That would be in response to, could he pass for a child on the train.

So, quite relevant.

i know, but its still hilarious
Quote by redking14ca
i know, but its still hilarious

No it isn't. And it's being shaved off tonight anyway - i've grown tired of it...
Quote by Hypnotisation
No it isn't. And it's being shaved off tonight anyway - i've grown tired of it...

GROWN!!! BWAAAAAAAA! Stop please, your killing me

Did you win it?

EDIT: Ouch! Went for £168!
Page 1 of 2