So i hope i'm in the right section of the forum ( yes i read the faq)
I wanted to ask when you record at some recording studio should you add a lot of details (like harmonics or another guitar or some special effects and not only one vocal part at a time (when the singer sings one time a high and at the same time a low note)) or only some of them or is it the best when youu just record it like you perfrom it during a gig?

hope you understood my english^^

BTW: we're an german punkrockband with 2 guitars a bass drums and 2 vocals
Last edited by cryzhadry at Jan 3, 2009,
Sounds like you have enough members. Just do it like you do at gigs. I hate it when bands record different than they play live.
Well when you record, you typically record in seperate parts. Alot of bands though, do a live recording, which is all the band members playing at once. The only down side of that is there is typically no layering going on after that, or in your case "special effects".

In my opinion, you should record each instrument seperately and then add some little extras to your recording after you have the main part done. Maybe even have the vocalist do a little harmony work.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
add a little bit but dont go overboard to the point where you cant reproduce it live.
also having too many "extras" like that makes it sound like **** you know what i mean?

but as long as its beneficial to the song then go for it.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
tatersalad +1

Think of a recording as taking a picture. If you're going to have your photo taken, you're going to go the extra effort to wear something nice, make sure your hair is combed, that you're looking clean, etc. In other words, you don't want to just go in and record what you would do live on any given day. You want to present your material in the best light possible - within reason.

You're probably NOT going to go out and buy a $1000 outfit just for that day, get your hair sculpted by Vidal Sassoon himself, and maybe plan for a bit of a facelift in advance enough that everything is just right. I mean, after all, you *never* look like that, and could never again hope to look like that without the same amount of insane intervention. This is the result of over-producing your recording.

Somewhere between those two ideas is a line that you should not cross, and only you can make that decision.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
It's different in every studio, but the best results usually come from playing 'live', but with each musician acoustically separated, hearing each other through headphones. Once the base of the track is done this way, you bring out the big condenser mics and dub the vocal tracks, guitar solos, percussion, acoustic instruments and so on.

Some bands will do everything completely live (though vocals are almost always overdubs), and some will do it strictly track-at-a-time, it differs from place to place.

EDIT: Nice metaphor, Axemanchris
thx for your opinions also the metaphor helped me a lot
i think i will add some extras but not that many ,because it would sound overloaded