Page 1 of 2
My AC100 is loud, really loud. At home, I keep it at 1-2 and it's still loud. At gigs, I never really go any higher than 4-5.

Is it too much? I mean, what the hell would I do with a 100W, haha. Should I trade it in for a Fender Blues Deluxe or a Laney/Traynor?
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
Last edited by djszkoda at Jan 3, 2009,
If you want tube power amp break up then yea your gonna need a smaller amp or attenuator. If you do metal and want the clean headroom then 100 watts is fine.
If you otherwise like it i don't see why you should sell it.

Buy an attenuator.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
I don't really play metal. I play a Strat mainly, and I play blues/alternative/indie/soloist stuff.
Well, the thing is, even with an attenuator, its still too loud for home practice and gigging is a bit overkill with the size and the transporting, etc.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
yea i'd suggest trading in. i can't get **** for tone out of my 100w at the volumes i have to play at at home.
Guitar
Fender Alder Strat w/ SD Invader, P90
Fender Blacktop Telecaster
Ovation Celebrity
Amp
Bolt BTH-100 w/ Marshall 1960A Lead
Drums
OCDP Avalon Series w/ Zildjian Custom A/K

Psycho Circus
No Boundaries Studios
The blues deluxe will only do cleans. The overdrive is fizzy and to be honest ****. It's fine if you want the brilliant cleans, but if you're gonna be playing more overdriven stuff you'll need an OD or get looking for other amps. That said, many many Indie bands use HRD's.
why did you settle with the 100watt one instead of the 50watt one? does it have more features or something?

for your styles, i'd suggest trading it for an ac30 head, even though it's pretty loud too. but it'd fair better in band situations.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
If you think it too much (100w is to much for me) get a smaller amp, I like the Traynors, but try lots of amps out, or you could get just one speaker, that would make it quieter
I have a ton of pedals, so getting a good OD/distortion doesn't really seem like a challenge. I rarely use my amps distortion channel, anyway.

I have an AC30, but I kind of keep it as my "prized possession", and use it primarily for
recording.

I heard the HRD was sort of meh. The Blues Deluxe looks like it has a lot more potential.

Do you think a hundred watt all tube amp head would get me a smaller amp without adding too much extra money?
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

^Should be fine.

You wont be putting the Blues Deluxe past 1 or 2 when you're at home anyway. And that will still be pretty loud.

I'm guessing your budget is pretty high?
What style?
Last edited by ze monsta at Jan 3, 2009,
trade it in for the ac30
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by ze monsta
^Should be fine.

You wont be putting the Blues Deluxe past 1 or 2 when you're at home anyway. And that will still be pretty loud.

I'm guessing your budget is pretty high?
What style?

Style of playing?
Blues/indie/soloist (think EJ, not Vai, etc.)

Budget is whatever my amp gets + $200.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

as everyone says, get an attenuator... there'll be a point where you will need those 100w (maybe, who knows) and you can't buy anything to make it louder

of course, if you feel it completely unnecesary then change it for something smaller and more practical, you can still mic up your amp
Volume wise there isn't that much different between 100 and 50 watts. It's the headroom that's the difference.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say what style... I meant to ask what indie bands and what kinda blues tone. And you're looking for cleans right?

I'd think a Fender Deluxe Reverb would be great.
Last edited by ze monsta at Jan 3, 2009,
Mic'ing is definitely an option for me.
Plus, is this thing ever a bloody chore to transport around. My dorm mate hates me when I play it louder than .5 - 1.5 (haha).

@ ze monsta;

for bands I like to sound like, there is
Radiohead, The Strokes, Pearl Jam, Eric Johnson, SRV, John Mayer, Muse, etc.

Tonewise for blues, something crunchy and maybe Texas blues kind of style.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Last edited by djszkoda at Jan 3, 2009,
You could always try the pulling power tubes trick to make the amp 50w?

Also consider rewiring the cab to use one speaker with the amp on 50w. Doing both of these things will reduce volume by 6dB in total - it should actually make it roughly equal in volume to your AC30...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
@ MrCarrot

I'm not big on voiding the warranty by doing that.
And I'm terrible with wiring speakers.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Quote by djszkoda
@ MrCarrot

I'm not big on voiding the warranty by doing that.
And I'm terrible with wiring speakers.
Meh, whatever.
Haha, it's just that I'm terrible with electronics.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

you should just use your AC30, unless its vintage or something. great amps are meant to be gigged.
but if not, you should get a used deluxe reverb, or super reverb if you can find one. old SF fenders will also do you well, depending on what exact model. and if you can find an old blues deluxe from when they were made in the US, get it. they are miles ahead of the newer ones.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Probably. But I was looking for roughly 30W or higher, and I believe the DR is 22W, if I'm not mistaken.

And to chea_man, yes, my AC30 is vintage.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Quote by djszkoda
Probably. But I was looking for roughly 30W or higher, and I believe the DR is 22W, if I'm not mistaken.

And to chea_man, yes, my AC30 is vintage.

ahh ok, i see haha. i never gig with my late 50s gibson, so i understand. i did once, and it just made me a nervous wreck the whole night.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Hahah, exactly, I tried gigging once with it and some bloke in the front row was staring at it the whole show.

I guess he wanted my pride and joy, so to speak.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

I honestly think HRD and Devilles are overrated...BIG TIME. I would also recommend an AC30.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
ok i have a tiny feeling that you may be a radiohead fan

if you just want a head i'd look at an orange rocker 30 head or and AD30 head

i played a bogner alchemist today and i thought it'd be perfect for radiohead, the cleans are great.

also: how'd you get hold of an avatar cab in the UK?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
You could trade in for an AC50 and get a 112 cab. That would be basically what MrCarrot said with no warranty voiding. I also agree with stevo for an orange.. although IMO the AD series is better than the rocker. The Bogner alchemist is also a good choice, people on this forum have been raving about them lately.

EDIT: Yay Radiohead!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at Jan 3, 2009,
i would recommend a fender hot rod deville those r great with strats and i know alot of indie, altrnative bands that use 'em.
^09 er!
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Quote by sloppyjoe109
^09 er!

the irony is that their post is infinitely more helpful and mature than yours
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Shameless bump.

Yes, I f*cking love Radiohead, huuuuuuuggeee fan.

Yes, ze monsta, I love those bands too!

I guess another AC30 is my way to go. I don't want to even move the vintage one, it's soo old.

BTW, figure they'd take my AC100 plus $200 cash towards a new AC30? I guess a 112 will be plenty enough, imho.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Quote by djszkoda
Shameless bump.

Yes, I f*cking love Radiohead, huuuuuuuggeee fan.

Yes, ze monsta, I love those bands too!

I guess another AC30 is my way to go. I don't want to even move the vintage one, it's soo old.

BTW, figure they'd take my AC100 plus $200 cash towards a new AC30? I guess a 112 will be plenty enough, imho.
Wouldn't you get more money from selling the AC100 and then buying the AC30 separately than trading-in?
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
the irony is that their post is infinitely more helpful and mature than yours

It was the first 09er I had seen. I was just making an observation, sue me.

Aaaaand I did recommend a Vox AC30 to the TS, which, imo, is a pretty helpful post.

Quote by NeverMeant
I've had it on sale for a while, no buyers interested.
Even if I did trade it, I'd only get about $100-200 less, which is covered by the $200 burning a hole in my pocket.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

^How do you like the Avatar?
Quote by NeverMeant
Page 1 of 2