I need some suggestions on a decent mic for recording. It doesn't have to be anything overly special as I'll only be using it every now and then just to record stuff for fun.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Nah, I'd recommend a USB condenser for sure. The Samson C01U is cheaper than the SM57 and plugs straight into your computer - no preamp, no extra cables, nothing. Ditto the Blue Snowball and Nady USB-1C. The SM57 may be a world-class mic for snares and loud guitar amps, but it's pretty poor for anything else.

A condenser mic is a much better choice to 'record stuff for fun' but to use them you used to need a preamp with phantom power - which is where USB has come in very handy indeed...
Quote by kyle62
Nah, I'd recommend a USB condenser for sure. The Samson C01U is cheaper than the SM57 and plugs straight into your computer - no preamp, no extra cables, nothing. Ditto the Blue Snowball and Nady USB-1C. The SM57 may be a world-class mic for snares and loud guitar amps, but it's pretty poor for anything else.

A condenser mic is a much better choice to 'record stuff for fun' but to use them you used to need a preamp with phantom power - which is where USB has come in very handy indeed...

This, pretty much covers it all.