E - x
A - x
D - x
G - o
B - 1
e - o

My dad recently wanted to learn a bit of guitar, so I've been helping him a bit, as well as this beginner book he got, which tells him that this string of notes is a C chord. I was confused, cause C isn't the base note, but it is a 1-3-5 chord for an open C. Wouldn't this be along the lines of C/G or something like that? Sorry, this is probably an insanely n00b question, but I thought I knew chords pretty well, and this is screwing with me.

Long story short... Why is that considered only a C chord?
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.
Yes it would be considered a C/G, since the G is the lowest note, but you're a bit ahead - the book is just trying to show that a C chord contains those three notes, so that is a C chord.
it's a c chord, but in the 1st inversion.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
its actually the second inversion of c
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Quote by Ace88
it's a c chord, but in the 1st inversion.

What do you mean by the 1st inversion? How do you invert a chord?

EDIT: So it's the second inversion? What does this mean? I'd like to know, I read up on that whole FAQ thing to chords, but didn't see anything about inversions.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
So if you play a chord (C for example) and you're still using the 1-3-5 formula, simply moving the 5th to your bass note, it's still a C, just inverted? However, if I were to use, say a note not within the basic major for C, it would be a C/D for example, if I chose to throw the D in?
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
right, say you've got a major triad '135' if you put the notes in this order '351' then its the first inversion of the chord, then if you put the notes in this order '513' then thats the second inversion of the chord.

so C major for example is CEG, so the first inversion would be EGC whilst the second would be GCE.

EDIT: when i say in order i mean from low to high
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Last edited by rhysm at Jan 3, 2009,
Alright guys, thanks a lot. I didn't know you could invert a chord like that while keeping the same name.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
also, when people talk about inversions it's normally just with a triad. however, with a full chord it's a / chord

C second inversion:

-
-
-

C/G: