what is the best amp suited for thrash metal and the genres surrounding it? i'm looking for a half stack not necessarily 100 watts but enough to get the job done at a gig
thanks in advance
Budget? Do you really need a halfstack? You can gig with a Combo amp
I leik music
well randall, but i dont like those. marshall. line 6.
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG2EX1

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Digitech Grunge Distortion pedal

Line 6 spider 3 75w
Quote by kurtcobainsucks

All three suck unless you get a high end Marshall or Randall. Line six is just... foul.

I'd go find some Engls, the Bogner Uberschall, maybe an Orange Rockverb and have a look at Mesa's.
Quote by col50
Budget? Do you really need a halfstack? You can gig with a Combo amp

in the past its been easier to lug around a head and a 2 X 12 rather than a combo, but im open to both. budget is 2000 USD
Quote by rustinpeace678
in the past its been easier to lug around a head and a 2 X 12 rather than a combo, but im open to both. budget is 2000 USD

easier to carry a head and cab around?

isn't it supposed to be the other way round?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by kurtcobainsucks

Depending on the Randall, maybe...but no and no on the marshall and line 6....you're probably referring to the MG and the Spider.

TS, answer the blue questions in my sig. Also, you might not need a half stack, but it may turn out that a head and a 2x12 can also work out. But in all honesty, a combo should suffice.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Dam 2 grand is alot of money. Try a Peavey 6505+, JSX, or XXX. Also try an Engl Powerball but that might be a little out of your price range.
I leik music
Quote by Hoodoo Child
easier to carry a head and cab around?

isn't it supposed to be the other way round?

my past combos didnt have casters. im not the strongest guy haha

Quote by LaidBack
Depending on the Randall, maybe...but no and no on the marshall and line 6....you're probably referring to the MG and the Spider.

TS, answer the blue questions in my sig. Also, you might not need a half stack, but it may turn out that a head and a 2x12 can also work out. But in all honesty, a combo should suffice.

Budget? 2 grand usd
Current Gear? orange rocker 30, ibanez RG550
Music Styles? thrash metal primarily and other metal as well
Location? US
Searching for an artist's tone? not really id like it to have versatility to find my own tone
can you try splawns? i haven't been able to try them (there's only one dealer in the whole UK ), they're meant to be good at the hot-rod marshall thing...

bogner shiva, maybe...

soldano avenger (if you can cope with single channel)

vht deliverance

bunch of options really... how many of those can you try?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, I would say check out some JCM800s...they are pretty much the quintessential thrash amp. you will need an OD to boost though. Engls could work...very well actually. Very bright and punchy. Check out the Fireball. Framus maybe......

All of them used of course.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Dave_Mc
can you try splawns? i haven't been able to try them (there's only one dealer in the whole UK ), they're meant to be good at the hot-rod marshall thing...

bogner shiva, maybe...

soldano avenger (if you can cope with single channel)

vht deliverance

bunch of options really... how many of those can you try?

yeah ive heard great things about splawns ive been looking at them recently too, i think if im gonna go in that direction should i get the quickrod?
and ive tried the vht, not a big fan of them to be honest i think i played a vht 120 deliverance, my uncle has a bogner ecstacy thats pretty good but damn expensive haha.
& ill check out the soldano ive heard great things about them
PEAVEY XXX/JSX 6505/5150 are good
Krank REV/ krankenstine (used of course)
VHTs used
Splawn nitro
ENGL powerball, fireball, used invader
used bogner ubershall
used Mesa dual rec/ dual rec roadster, tripple rec
Framus dragon/ cobra (used)
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by LaidBack
Ok, I would say check out some JCM800s...they are pretty much the quintessential thrash amp. you will need an OD to boost though. Engls could work...very well actually. Very bright and punchy. Check out the Fireball. Framus maybe......

All of them used of course.

ive played a jcm800, lacked gain alot, what do you think would be a good boost, tubescreamer?
ive played a framus cobra, tight as **** haha if i only had the money.
the fireball or powerball look good to me, ive played the powerball and loved it, im guessing the fireball is similar?
Quote by rustinpeace678
yeah ive heard great things about splawns ive been looking at them recently too, i think if im gonna go in that direction should i get the quickrod?
and ive tried the vht, not a big fan of them to be honest i think i played a vht 120 deliverance, my uncle has a bogner ecstacy thats pretty good but damn expensive haha.
& ill check out the soldano ive heard great things about them

yeah, the ecstacy is awesome, i didn't mention it because i figured it was too expensive.

if you don't like vht, that's fair enough, they do have quite a unique tone (bit like hughes and kettner), and all the ones i've tried seemed to have that tone, more or less.

not too sure about the splawns- as i said, i haven't tried them. from what i hear, the quick rod is the one for the 80s hot rod marshall thing, but if you play more modern metal, the nitro is probably worth a look too. as i said, though, i haven't tried them, so if you can at all, try them.

engls should work, might not be the best value in the states. if you like them, though, that's not going to matter.

soldano are good, yeah. i've only tried the avenger, it was sweet though. there might be some others around your budget too, not too sure.

probably some other really obvious ones which i'm forgetting...

EDIT: i don't think the fireball is exactly the same as the powerball. i haven't tried the two head to head, but the powerball is quite a bit more versatile, the fireball is very much cleans and modern metal, with very little in-between. i think it's a bit too modern-sounding for 80s thrash, but you may disagree of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 3, 2009,
What about the Peavey 6505? Never used one, but I've used its sim on the cube (NOT HOW I'M JUDGING IT!) and I've heard it's reputation... no-one suggested it yet, just throwing it out there
Quote by pontino
What about the Peavey 6505? Never used one, but I've used its sim on the cube (NOT HOW I'M JUDGING IT!) and I've heard it's reputation... no-one suggested it yet, just throwing it out there

the other guitarist in my band owns one im not a big fan out it
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, the ecstacy is awesome, i didn't mention it because i figured it was too expensive.

if you don't like vht, that's fair enough, they do have quite a unique tone (bit like hughes and kettner), and all the ones i've tried seemed to have that tone, more or less.

not too sure about the splawns- as i said, i haven't tried them. from what i hear, the quick rod is the one for the 80s hot rod marshall thing, but if you play more modern metal, the nitro is probably worth a look too. as i said, though, i haven't tried them, so if you can at all, try them.

engls should work, might not be the best value in the states. if you like them, though, that's not going to matter.

soldano are good, yeah. i've only tried the avenger, it was sweet though. there might be some others around your budget too, not too sure.

probably some other really obvious ones which i'm forgetting...

EDIT: i don't think the fireball is exactly the same as the powerball. i haven't tried the two head to head, but the powerball is quite a bit more versatile, the fireball is very much cleans and modern metal, with very little in-between. i think it's a bit too modern-sounding for 80s thrash, but you may disagree of course.

haha id have to be able to play my 80s music! haha
i think ive narrowed it down to powerball/fireball, soldano, splawn nitro or quickrod, or a good ol' jcm800
thanks dave
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?