Page 1 of 3
I was just thinking, in like 50 years, are fender and gibson still gonna be the two leading brands?
Or do you think there not even going to last?
And what about Schecter? Do you think they'll be like the new fender?
And then ESP as the new gibson?
discuss
i hope esp doesn't become the new gibson, i would like to see michael kelly get bigger, keep fender where it is because they make good guitars.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Fender is probably always gonna' stay up top. A Gibson replacement? I dunno'.
Gibson goes down the ****ter due to overpricing relative to the competition.

Schecter will grow, laguna will grow, ESP and Jackson stay where they are
WTLTL 2011
Schecter's gonna get big, but not the top. Ibanez might drop a little, hell, I think Gibson's gonna drop, Fender's good where it is, Esp will go up and probably take the lead in brands...
gibson and fender are classic. i don't think they're going away ever.
there might be a company or two that gets up there with them though, like the one that invents laser strings or guitars that you can fly on.
Schecter and ESP are already pretty much the fender and gibson of metal. I dont see fender going anywhere, but gibson is iffy. Does anyone really need a self-tuning guitar?
Quote by sglover34479
MOFAUX is the coolest guy ever. Women want his babies.

The rest of you are balls
Quote by Dance_of_Death
i just hope quality control at gibson won't drop any further

thats why i kind of see gibson fading out
and my remarks about schecter as the new fender and esp as the new gibson were just examples
and i forgot about michael kelly
and washburn seems to be doing well
I think Fender and Gibson will still be at the top. Their strength is that their guitars fits so many different styles of music, while companys like ESP and Schecter is niched to metal-axes.
i think fender will always be on top, they make good guitars at a resonable price but gibson is going to fail, the epihone brand sounds near indical to the gibson and there something like $2000 cheaper.... i think ibanez will be the new gibosn.
Quote by qstionauthority
gibson and fender are classic. i don't think they're going away ever.
there might be a company or two that gets up there with them though, like the one that invents laser strings or guitars that you can fly on.

lol
i actually have a friend who has a friend who made a laser pickup
it probably sounds wicked awful and digital though
i hope thats not what the pickups of the future will be, its just like how they replaced CDs with Vinyl.
Vinyl sounds SOO MUCH BETTER.
I think that we are going to see alot of smaller brands getting bigger, at least for acoustic guitars. I think Marshalls are on the way out.

As for electric guitars I think that it depends on what music arises and where it sits. Ibanez, ESP, and Jackson are doing really well becuase of the surge in metal, metalcore and other heavy genres. If we see a slide to less heavy, or to a change to less articulated music ((such as the switch from glam metal to grunge in teh 90's) then Fender and Gibson are going to be making more and more money.

I am going to say im sick of dishing out so much money for factory made guitars though. 1000 dollars for a fender standard? Not worth it
i enjoy head
gibson is already on the donwswing, they overcharge for products that are not the quality they should be. fender will remain where it is because they are a solid company.

esp and ibanez are on their way up no doubt about it.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
I think schecter has a very good chance of surpassing both gibson and fender actually maybe esp if they start making more esp models and less ltd
Keep On Keepen' On
Ibanez wont die thats for sure.
Schecter is already popular.
Fenders a classic brand, although i expect them to try and expand their market as usual.
Gibson is currently adventuring with the robots, the "metal" versions of their V, X, and such.
Which can only mean either rise or fall in the long run.
Idk how jackson will make out, as schector, ibanez, ESP, and many other brands are starting to kick them in price to quality ratio.
Martin and taylor in the acoustics department will reign supreme overlords.
Althought Breedlove, Seagull, and that new Silver Creek brand are going to get interesting.
Ernie Ball has been doing good with their guitars as well, although Bass guitars are the thing they are known for, and strings of coarse.
Another brand of note for the future would be Laguna, i dislike the feel of lagunas myself but i have seen a few local bands with lagunas at my gigs.
Quote by JessyB96
I think schecter has a very good chance of surpassing both gibson and fender actually maybe esp if they start making more esp models and less ltd

well im not sure about surpassing ESP, there on a roll right now, but i can definitely see schecter coming out with a ton of new(good) models.
lets just hope they dont get some guitarist whos upsessed with ugly finishs and combining different guitar bodies*cough*zakkwylde*cough*
i like the bullseye finish though
Fender and Gibson will stay alive as long as rock, Hard rock, and clean tones continue to be the most popular.

Schecter and others may go up, but just a little, since metal is not popular.

the thing is that fender and gibson will be on top for that reason till guitar desapears as the main instrument...

EDIT: Jackson will die (Fender is killing it...) and Ibanez will never grow... IMHO
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Last edited by Sudaka at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by Sudaka
Fender and Gibson will stay alive as long as rock, Hard rock, and clean tones continue to be the most popular.

Schecter and others may go up, but just a little, since metal is not popular.

the thing is that fender and gibson will be on top for that reason till guitar desapears as the main instrument...

egad
what do u think the next main instrument will be?!?!
After the ESP's metalcore market grows up, I think ESP will become a lot less relevant. I believe Jackson will come back with my predicted return of Heavy Thrash/Industrious metal, and Fender/Gibson will always stay at the top. Dean will become a good heavy metal contender alongside Jackson, while BC Rich becomes less popular, as (biased) websites like UG gain more power in the overall market's buying decisions.
Fender always on top even though I don't play one anymore. I did play a about 30 year old fender strat for 14 years. It plays as good now as it did then still always stays in tune and it plays so easy you can not beat that quality. Gibson is great but im not going to pay that much money when I could buy a cheaper better guitar(better in my music style metal), and anyway don't epiphone pretty much replicate there guitars to about a T and they are much cheaper? I can see smaller companys like esp and dean rise. But who knows we will have to wait and see.

Beebaboo lets hope metal goes back to the thrash
Fender's going to continue to grow, ESP will probably grow some... Gibson is either going to get their act together and step up their game by focusing on what's important, making quality instruments and making them affordable, or they're going to get bought out (probably by Fender) because they keep making useless stuff (robot guitar *cough*) and relaxing their QC even more than they already are.
Well, I'm kindof worried that Gibson would die because the whole Classic Rock thing we got from the older people around us who were there, is going to diminish each generation until no-one can earn a decent dime in no AC/DC coverband no more and no-one wants Gibsons because everyone is playing the blues or metal (or, please no, mainstream hiphop).

Ofc they make good blues guitars as well but so do many other brands.
I can see Ibanez growing though, they're one of the most versatile brands out there with high regard both in jazz guitars, metal guitars, and bass guitars.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Fender and Gibson will probably remain in the top 3 makers for the rest of our lives. Who else is in that triad will fluctuate over time.

Based on what I know about business in general:

Their age and size will protect them from a lot of business cycles in the industry that will wreck lesser companies.

Their reputations- read, the number of famous artists who use their products- will ensure a constant flow of new purchasers unless they get a HIGHLY visible reputation for making BAD product for a LONG time.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 3, 2009,
Fender and Gibson not going anywhere. They've done an impeccable job of ingraining themselves in pop culture- Rock band/Guitar hero, second life, etc. Hell, even the jonas brothers all play gibson and even though that doesn't matter to UG, when that generation starts looking for a guitar they'll remember the LP/SG body type. Gibson especially has been very aggressive about product placement. Their goal is clearly to become entrenched in culture and becoming a household name, and it seems to be working.
As far as other brands, I'd like to see more Godin. It probably won't happen, but they make really nice stuff at increasingly competitive prices.
i hope that esp and bc rich fade away, mainly because most (not all) of their guitars are eye sores, minus the esp ec 1000's and the george lynch bengal strat shape. i think PRS will take gibson's place, and gibson will be about like jackson's are now, common but not as big
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Fender is classic, it probably won't go away any time soon.
People will keep buying Gibson because its Gibson, they are safe.
Like someone else said, ESP and Schecter will be fine as long as metal keeps the popularity it has.
Small guitar companies will definitely see a boost. That is, the good ones that don't cost much.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
I dont think that Gibson or Fender are going anywhere but I do think that Laguna is going to start to get big.
Quote by juniorlbj
Gentlemen...

It's fap time!
Fender is, imo, the only brand that is good now, that were there from the beginning. (guitars and amps)
"My name is Forrest, Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump"
as the abundant metal kids and teens grow to metal men they will buy more expensive guitars, therefore esp could become a very dominant brand.
fender will always be at top. Gibson will soon fail but Epiphones will sale alot more.
I think ibanez and esp will also be at the top of metal guitars.
Gibson will go bankrupt once the baby boomers die off.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by CephalidHunter
Gibson will go bankrupt once the baby boomers die off.
The media defines baby boomers as those born between (and including) 1946 and 1964
So, give or take 20 years from now?
who gives a Cr@p about this topic, its not about who makes the best guitar or will it ever be. its about who can make the cheapest pieces of trash and sell it to the North Americans for the most. Look at ESP, Ibanez, Kramer, Hamer..etc. They are all Jap/indonesia.. whatever/wherever. These companies make money off you by paying some dood cr@p money to make them. Then they ship them to you and you pay a premium. Look at Epiphone, they are the epitome of korean made garbage that people glorify on this forum.

If you want a real answer to this question, ask it like this: "which company has the smarts to move their factories to the poorest country to make their instruments and rape you for the most money".

I get a laugh out of some of you doods that talk about .. oh gibson or fender cuz they rock the most in the past...! lol

what a stupid topic.
- Kramer Stagemaster
- Kramer Pacer Custom 1
- Ibanez USA Custom EW
- Jackson SlatQH Soloist
- Martin D-41
- Breedlove artist
- Marshal JVM410 w/1960a 4x12
- PodXT live
ibanez and schecter are most likely gonna grow, esp too though not as big
gibson, if it doesnt get its act together, will drop. fender will stay put
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by stratdud39
egad
what do u think the next main instrument will be?!?!

The Therman by moog lol
Keep On Keepen' On
Quote by gnaraaron
i hope esp doesn't become the new gibson, i would like to see michael kelly get bigger, keep fender where it is because they make good guitars.

Michael Kelly will get bigger. Honestly, I don't know if that's so great though, their prices are so great, I'm scared that they would inflate a lot if they became a more popular brand.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
i dont think gibson and fender are going anywhere.

Truth be told, its not about quality, its about the name on the headstock.
(I'm not saying anything bad about quality of these brands, nor do I really care)

Hendrix, zep, ac/dc, clapton ect.
My hero uses a gibson or fender, so thats what I want!

Thats what it comes down to.....its true..its sells.
Its about money, not music.

I guitar is a piece of wood with pickups....its not rocket surgery!!!
I think gibson is getting a good headstart with their new technology. Hopefully by the time of the "big change", they'll have some of their ****e available for something a bit less expensive than 3.5k.

Fender i don't see dying out. There are ppl out there who would give the company all their life savings to keep them alive....

Dean will hopefully flop finally, once people understand that sure, dime was a good guitarist, but not that great, and dean's guitars are all selling because of the name.

Schecter seems to be on the rise.

Ibanez is still going strong.

I that's all i have to say.
Page 1 of 3