Now I realise that this kind of thread is generally retarded, but I can't figure out a single scale that would work over this chord progression.

Am11 Bm/F# Cadd9 Dmaj7
0 2 0 2
3 3 3 2
5 4 0 2
5 4 2 0
0 2 3 x
x 2 x x

Help?
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
Quote by huevos

All I'm picking up from that site is boxes, I'm guessing it's in japanese right? It wouldn't help me much...

somebody tell me if i missed a note, but according to your chord names, you have the following notes in play:

A - B - C - C#/Db - D - E - F# - G

the trouble may be due to the C#/Db that occurs in your Dmaj7 chord, since most standard scales don't have three semitones in a row. one option could be to use a dominant seventh (D7) instead of a maj7 chord, thereby turning your C#'s into C's, which go well with the Am11.

if you ignore the C# and use the rest of your notes, and if you play the scale in A, you would have the dorian mode, which is a minor scale with a major sixth: A B C D E F# G. Usually A minor has no sharps or flats, but with dorian, you make the sixth note one semitone higher (to make it major), so F becomes F#.

i don't know for sure if this will work, since i am only one guy, and i'd need two guitarists to test it out. plus, your progression just goes A B C D, so it's tough to nail down a key. A Dorian looks right on paper, i guess.
Last edited by frigginjerk at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by Nielsyboy
Seeing those F# and C# my guess would be D major??

Except there's a regular C in Am11 and since I do alot of improv, I wouldn't want to end up resting on a C# by accident.

^Exactly. A dorian and change that Dmaj7 to D7 or D major or something. It has that C# that doesn't sound that good.

Edit: I meant to agree with the guy 2 posts before, not TS. (Although I do agree with him/her)
Last edited by sickman411 at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by sickman411
^Exactly. A dorian and change that Dmaj7 to D7 or D major or something. It has that C# that doesn't sound that good.

Edit: I meant to agree with the guy 2 posts before, not TS. (Although I do agree with him/her)

Except that the D7 doesn't sound as cool in the progression as the Dmaj7 does, believe me, I've tried. I recomend you try playing it, slow without distortion, the Dmaj7 is perfect, I just need a scale to go along with it.

Could someone punch it into guitar pro or something? Mines uninstalled at the moment.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Except that the D7 doesn't sound as cool in the progression as the Dmaj7 does, believe me, I've tried. I recomend you try playing it, slow without distortion, the Dmaj7 is perfect, I just need a scale to go along with it.

Could someone punch it into guitar pro or something? Mines uninstalled at the moment.

well, you could just not play a C or a D in the solo part when the Dmaj7 is being played. how about an A? a big old fifth to support the D in the chord? the fact is, you've got three chords that all work with a C and a D in the scale, and one which does not. I would still try the dorian mode, and just be mindful of what notes you use over the Dmaj7 chord.
^G would be the fourth, or 11th, if you will, but I have to ask what you mean by this?

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
^G would be the fourth, or 11th, if you will, but I have to ask what you mean by this?

whoops, i mean A, being the fifth note OF the Dmaj7 chord, so it would sound just fine, and it's still obviously in key with A dorian. maybe play a high A, so that the Dmaj7 sounds emphasized, rather than a big heavy A note.

modes generally don't work universally well over every chord; they have an altered note that doesn't fit into standard chord grips. sometimes your options will be limited when playing over certain chords, especially seventh chords
Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Except there's a regular C in Am11 and since I do alot of improv, I wouldn't want to end up resting on a C# by accident.

How would you end up on it by accident?

Just play the changes, follow the chords, and there should be no problem.
"And everybody knows that you live forever
Ah, when you've done a line or two"
Quote by frigginjerk
whoops, i mean A, being the fifth note OF the Dmaj7 chord, so it would sound just fine, and it's still obviously in key with A dorian. maybe play a high A, so that the Dmaj7 sounds emphasized, rather than a big heavy A note.

modes generally don't work universally well over every chord; they have an altered note that doesn't fit into standard chord grips. sometimes your options will be limited when playing over certain chords, especially seventh chords

Well that doesn't sound unreasonable, maybe also using the C as a passing note, like the b5 of the blues scale. Man, Ill have to try it out naxt time my band has a rehearsal. Thanks jerk ( ) e-cookie to you!

Last edited by Sharp_as_steel at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Well that doesn't sound unreasonable, maybe also using the C as a passing note, like the b5 of the blues scale. Man, Ill have to try it out naxt time my band has a rehearsal. Thanks jerk ( ) e-cookie to you!

precisely! hope it works well at rehearsal. good luck!

edit: i just put this into guitarpro, and Dorian totally works. Try using the F# over the second chord, and use either a D or and A over the Dmaj7.