I just bought a used Pignose GV60R, and it definitely needs new tubes. It still has the original, ****ty, chinese tubes in it. I have a few questions before I go buy some, though.

Right now it has 3 6L6's in the power section, 2 12AX7's in the pre-amp section, and 1 6L6 running the reverb. I'm planning on replacing all the power section, and pre-amp section. Should I replace the reverb's tube as well? Should I use the same type of tube in the reverb as in the power section?

I'm also curious about what kind of tubes I should use. This is my first tube amp so I'm new to how each type of tube sounds. So perhaps you guys can give me some suggestions based on what kind of sound I want to accomplish, and what gear I have.

Gear:
- Squier '51 with a Seymour Duncan APS-1 in the bridge, and a Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge
- Fulltone OCD
- Octavia clone

You shouldn't need to know any of my other pedals, right?

Sound:
My EQ is usually set near this:
Treble - 4 o' clock
Mid - 2 o' clock
Bass - Dimed
Presence - My old amp didn't have this, but on the Pignose I've been putting it fairly high. Around 4 o' clock.

I like to have medium, to medium high gain if I'm not playing clean (which I do often). When I am playing stuff that isn't original I play a lot Mars Volta. I don't like to shred, tap, sweep pick, or anything like that. Clarity is very important to me.

The main issue I have with the amp right now is that it gets really muddy when the gain gets high. That's definitely a problem. And the I hear a slight whine when the amp is cranked, but only when the treble setting is fairly high. That might just be a product of the old tubes.

Let the suggestions fly! Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Edit: I forgot to add that I thinking about some Tung-Sol 6V6's for the power section, and maybe some Tung-Sol 12AX7's, or EH 12AT7's for the pre-amp.
Last edited by Eggness at Jan 3, 2009,
theres a stickied tube thread that might help you mate. about your muddiness, have you tried turning down the bass a bit? fiddle with the EQ on your amp, as well as on your guitar. Try turning down the presence maybe, it might be creating too much "presence". hope this helps even a bit...
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Quote by dudey5691
Have you thought of replacing the stock speaker? I have read that they really aren't that good...

No idea for tubes

Yeah, it's terrible. I'm going to replace it eventually, but I figured I should replace the tubes first. I was gonna make a thread about the speaker when the time came.

Quote by R.I.P.Jimi
theres a stickied tube thread that might help you mate. about your muddiness, have you tried turning down the bass a bit? fiddle with the EQ on your amp, as well as on your guitar. Try turning down the presence maybe, it might be creating too much "presence". hope this helps even a bit...

Yeah, I read through there. That's where I got the idea for what I might want. I'll probably ask over there if this thread doesn't go well. I might just have to try different combinations until I find what I like.

I'm gonna fiddle with the EQ tomorrow when I get home from work. Maybe that'll help the muddiness.
Nah, unless the tubes are dead/microphonic/noisy, replace the speaker first.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
You should get a new amp for your tubes.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by darkarbiter7
Nah, unless the tubes are dead/microphonic/noisy, replace the speaker first.

O_o You're right. I didn't realise tubes were THAT expensive. ****in' power tubes are $35 a set on tubedepot, and I need two sets.

Well, I guess I should figure out what speaker to get....

You guys keep thinking on the tube issue, though. I will need to get new ones soon.

Quote by SlinkyBlue
You should get a new amp for your tubes.

Wai?
first things first, get a tube screamer type overdrive to cure your muddiness. Setting the amp gain at 3 o'clock and the OD pedal gain at 9 o'clock, the tone is phenomenal. I have two other amps and like the Pignose distortion best with the pedals.

I have the G40V version with the 10inch speaker. I replaced the original power tubes with JJ 6L6 and they were outstanding. I now have SED Winged C and they are equally fantastic.

I replaced the speaker with a Celestion Vintage 10 I believe its called. I could not be happier.

Preamp tubes I've experimented with various 12AX7s from Electro Harmonix, Tung Sol, and Jan Phillips. Also Jan Phillips 5751s. I use a 12AT7 in V2. I may go back and try a 5751 in V1 for more clean headroom.

but again, get a OD pedal for the sweetest amazing distortion. fantastic practice amp at low volumes and it gets loud if you want. and mine is the 40 watters
Gear

Gibson Blueshawk
American Deluxe Telecaster
Washburn Pilsen Idol
Washburn Golden Harvest
Washburn Acoustic D-30

Koch Classictone 210
Pignose G40 V
Wait, what? 3 6L6s? You sure one of them isn't a rectifier tube (GZ34, EZ81, etc?)

the ONLY way that that would work out is like a 30 watt single ended amp, and I've never heard of someone making those in mass production.

Check all your tubes, carefully.

And a 6L6 on reverb sounds like WAY too much, that thing would be running at about 1/5 of its total power to drive a tank...
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Hmmm... that's funny, my G60VR only has 2 6L6 output tubes and no other 6L6-style tubes anywhere in sight! If your G60VR has 4 6L6 tubes then it has been horribly modified and all bets are off.

The schematic shows 4 12AX7A and 2 6L6GCR for what its worth.

Steve
Last edited by pacair at Mar 2, 2009,