I recently bought a solid top guitar, and the only thing the store I bought it from had was a Dampit humidifier. I used it for about 3 days, but I don't really like it. I found a vaporizer, and I think im going to use that as a replacement to the Dampit. However, I don't know how long I should leave it run for. The humidity in my house is 30% do you have any suggestions for a time frame to keep it on for?
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
Last edited by justnmcknz at Jan 5, 2009,
Assuming the WV in your location stands for West Virginia, I would recommend that you not bother with the humidifier. As long as you store the guitar in a case, the weather around there wont be extreme enough to cause problems.
It does stand for West Virginia, but it can get pretty cold up here. It's about 40 degrees outside nowm but it drops lower than that. I figured that since my heater is in use i'd need it. My central air said the humidity is at 30% in the house, and I heard you should keep it at 40% or higher when you have a solid top.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
Use the vaporizer and Dampit humidifier. And use them all winter long, until your central AC thermostat says it's 45% or better and holding there without the vaporizer on.
The reason I say both is one is going to help you, while the other will help the guitar.
Just don't overdo it with the amount of moisture you put into the guitar. If you can swing it, get an in case hygrometer(humidity meter) so you can monitor it and adjust accordingly.
So the vaporizer won't help my guitar? I thought that maybe I could use it to increase the humidity and eliminate the need for the Dampit. I think I may just an actual instrument humidifier and hygrometer.
Quote by justnmcknz
So the vaporizer won't help my guitar? I thought that maybe I could use it to increase the humidity and eliminate the need for the Dampit. I think I may just an actual instrument humidifier and hygrometer.

Vaporizers typically put tons of moisture into the air fast, but in a small environment like a bedroom. Which is why they work good when you're sick. The water droplets from these are bigger than from a humidifier(which is what you should use).
It will help both you and the guitar, just be cautious with the vaporizer. Don't keep the guitar too close to it.
Also, have a read of Captivate's sticky about humidity at the top of the A & C Guitar forum page.
Well sure it does. It helps your sinuses and lungs to function better. It helps fight dry winter skin too.