ok i have a few guitars, but recently i miss playing my first ever guitar, which is a cheap ibanez, which is...pretty crappy to be honest! especially compared to my other guitars. This guitar is playable but sounds nowhere as good as my other guitars?

my question is, shall i bother adding new pickups (which i don't mind spending money on) to make my guitar sound better so it is at least a bit better than it is...or just leave it in it's coffin? what's your opinion?

http://www.ibanez.com/EG/guitar.aspx?m=GAX70

i'm also thinking of putting some artwork on it...just for the sake of it, but thats a different issue.

I've never ever added new pickups to a guitar so i don't know what to expect, obviously the whole balance of the guitar won't change, same with the wood, so can anyone whose an expert on this subject help me out?

Oscar
it is a mahogany body, so it has potential but yeah new pickups and maybe a TOM bridge could make it nice.
i agree, it has potential. It's made out of good wood, maybe put some seymour duncans in it. it sounds like it could be a cool project guitar
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by marko'd
it is a mahogany body, so it has potential but yeah new pickups and maybe a TOM bridge could make it nice.

...TOM bridge? That is hardly going to affect tone.
Great mod guitar you got. Mess around with pickups, and if you want, try making your own pups. You could get a very unique sound. It might be a terrible tone, but it will be unique.
And I say that you mess with the finish. Strip it down and just start all over.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I have an old GAX-75 that was my first guitar. It's the exact same as the GAX-70, except it has a down-shifter that tunes the low E to D. And since it's the old version, its wood is agathis.

I upgraded the pickups to GFS Retrotron Liverpools, and it sounds really great now. The new pickups really transformed it from a decent starter guitar to a good sounding guitar. Listening to it, I wouldn't ever call it a cheap-sounding guitar.

My advice is if you like a guitar, (no matter the cost or if it's a starter guitar) it has and easy and comfortable to play neck, and it's not giving you any problems, then go ahead and upgrade it. I'm glad I upgraded my GAX-75, and I play it regularly, even after owning it close to 5 years now.

I know a lot of people who've upgraded the GAX guitars, and are happy with them.
Last edited by Bling Dogg at Jan 3, 2009,
wow, those are really helpful good replies, and quick aswell! yeh i was thinkign seymour duncans....cheers! i can't wait!
sure, just don't spend too much on them. are you in the UK? there are far cheaper (and better, in my opinion) pickups available here than duncans, if you ask me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, i'm in northern ireland, the prices here are similar to england (it's still the UK).

i've got a set of swinesheads- they're very nice and handwound. a bit more expensive than they used to be, but still pretty good value. www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk

rockmonkeys are wound by a guy on this forum, they're meant to be really nice, i haven't tried them yet, though (probably will eventually, when i get round to it). www.rockmonkeyguitars.com there's a 10% discount for UG members too, i think.

if you want to cheap out further, irongear pickups are worth a look. I have no idea how good they are, though- generally i think they're meant to be quite nice for the money, but whether that translates to "good" or just "good value", i don't know. http://www.irongear.co.uk./irongear_011.htm they used to have a 10% UG discount too, i'm not sure if they still do or not.

tonerider pickups would be a similar idea to irongears, pretty cheap, but not sure how good they are. axesrus sell them, i think.

not a major fan of kent armstrongs, the couple i've tried anyway (wdmusic sells them), personally i'd save slightly more and go for either swinesheads or rockmonkeys if you were looking to spend that much.

up to you, really (as i said, I don't like KAs), you should be able to email most of those guys for personal advice as to which pickups to go for for the tones you want, and which would suit your guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh, if price isn't an issue at all, then bareknuckle (i have tried, excellent), bulldog (meant to be excellent, haven't tried) and shed pickups (ditto bulldog) would also be worth a look. EDIT: probably a bunch of other options too, there are a ton of USA-based boutique pickup makers too, and a few in germany etc. etc. almost too much choice, that's the problem...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 3, 2009,
How wierd. I was just searching the internet to see about putting new pickups in exactly the same guitar you have! ahah.
i was thinking about Seymour Duncan's, but i can't afford it, same with EMG's.
can someone recommend a great type of humbucker pickups, what i can afford?
THANKS!
Wood doesn't matter. There's no cheap or expensive wood, when it comes to tone there's no "better"; only differences. As long as the guitar was constructed nicely, agathis guitars can be as good as a mahogany, alder, etc... They'll just sound different.
^that's a little general and not really correct, though i know what you're saying.

i hope the TS and the fella looking to add pups to his guitar that revived this thread, have a nice amp?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you dont mind, do it.

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Quote by jj1565
^that's a little general and not really correct, though i know what you're saying.

i hope the TS and the fella looking to add pups to his guitar that revived this thread, have a nice amp?

Yeah I know what you mean. What I'm basically trying to say is just try out a guitar, and if you like how it plays, the wood shouldn't matter too much. So some agathis guitars can be really good, some can be crap. That kind of thing.