I bought an Epiphone Goth G-400 used a couple weeks ago and there's a weird problem with it. On the 17th fret, mainly the top three strings, when played I hear the initial note very poorly and it dies quickly. It makes a weird noise (like a buzz of some sort) and I can't figure out why the note won't sustain at all. If I pick the 15th fret and bend to 17 the note immediately dies. When I bought the guitar it didn't do this but came with I think DRs which I like but they were very old so I went to my local guitar store (where they have a very limited selection) and got Ernie Ball Power Slinkys. Anyways does anybody know why this happens its very annoying as it fvcks up just about every solo I play. Please help!
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
It sounds alot like your frets are worn out, mabye you should replace them
On the internet guys are guys, girls are guys, and little girls are police men.
or maybe adjust the action?
████████
████████
████████
I had the same problem on my old Epiphone SG at the 14th fret on the D string. It happened when I was restringing it, I took the bridge off for the first time, as I didn't know it could be taken off before, so I could clean underneath it. After i was done and the new strings on I started having problems with that fret and I think a few other to a lesser extent. I tried everything to fix it but I think the guitar is just fuc.ked and there's nothing that can be done unless you get professional help.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
I guess I'll have to take it to a guitar repair store. Hopefully they can fix it. If not its going back on craigslist and I'm gonna look for an epi explorer?
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix