Yesterday I went to the local music store and saw a worn looking silverface Fender Vibro Champ sitting in the corner. I was immediately drawn to its vintage beauty. After playing through it for a while, I decided I had to have it. I asked the salesman what year it was made and he said it was from 1968 (still a blackface circuit but with silverface cosmetics). The only two problems with it are that at one point some one moded it with a jack so it could power a speaker cabinet (this has since been removed leaving a 1/4" hole on the face plate) and the speaker rattles a bit. I told the manager about this and he offered to replace the speaker once the replacement arrives. I brought it home for the great price of $340. When I play my Legacy through it, it gets great "Lenny" style tones. With my SG it gets some great
Zepelin 2 -type tones. The vibrato (actually tremelo, but Leo called it vibrato) on it can go from a very subtle, almost phasing-like effect to an extreme, surfy tremelo. Overall, I am very happy with this amp.

Anybody else out there have one of these vintage beauties? What input do you prefer to use?
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman
I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.
so... are we gonna get pics or clips or anything?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
oh oh i have one!!! i think it's later than yours, 'proper' (not in an insulting way, just the way your explained yours) silverface...Input 1 is louder and breaks up easier, so thats the way I go. I had the tube sockets cleaned and a new preamp tube put in and now it sounds really good, I quite enjoy it. the tremolo is very cool, but i haven't really used it much...but if you want to simulate a Leslie...there you go! mine was 480...but thats in Canada!
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Don't replace the speaker!
Tighten the screws, have it reconed, fix it, but I would really not suggest putting a new speaker in.
And it needs to be recapped and given a 3-prong power cord as well.
Here's a picture. It is in my profile. Sorry, my camera's not very good, but here's a somewhat clear picture. The hole under the "Vibro Champ-Amp" label is apparently where the speaker jack was.

BTW, does anyone know where to buy a footswitch for the vibrato or the necessary parts to make one? Also, have any of you changed you're speakers? If so, what did you change them to?

Edit: The speaker is not original so that is not an issue. Why does it neeed a new power cord? Can I get an attachement that makes two prong-cord three prong? What are the benefits of a recap? I'm sorry if I am asking a lot of questions, I just want to make sure my amp isn't going to blow up.
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.
Last edited by musicalfish at Jan 3, 2009,
Anybody?
Quote by Kurapica

Quote by aeliustehman

Quote by BWall1226
Take your profile off private, mate, and then maybe we can help lol
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Sorry, didn't even realize that I had it set to private!
Quote by Kurapica

Quote by aeliustehman

Quote by BWall1226
Quote by musicalfish
Sorry, didn't even realize that I had it set to private!

It's all good man

As for the footswitch, I don't think the Vibros had one. I could be wrong, though, and probably am

Talk to the guys in GB&C about making one; they'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

The three prong chords are safer, I think, than the two prong. But again, I have no clue.

Nice amp though, and happy NAD!
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Jan 3, 2009,
I HAVE ONE!

Mine's a later model - 1976. It's a true silverface. It gets some of the best, sparkly clean tones I've ever heard. True Fender tones.

Sadly, mine sits in my closet, forever muted...

I suspect it to be a blown resistor.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
^Thats terrible. If it's something so simple you should definately take it in to a tech or fix it yourself.

^^Yes, there was. It was for switching the "vibrato" on and off.
Quote by Kurapica

Quote by aeliustehman

Quote by BWall1226
Quote by musicalfish
^Thats terrible. If it's something so simple you should definately take it in to a tech or fix it yourself.

^^Yes, there was. It was for switching the "vibrato" on and off.

Well, then I'd probably hit up eBay first, then talk to the guys in GB&C

I'd look for you so you could know if there are some on there, but we're not supposed to post eBay links....
--

--
Quote by musicalfish

I plan on doing so, I just haven't been able to get into touch with the amp tech that I like.

And yeah, like everyone else has said, GET A THREE-PRONGED CHORD.

I actually can't play my Champ without wearing shoes or else I get shocked through my guitar strings.

And NEVER, EVER touch a light switch while this amp is on. I literally almost soiled myself.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
How would one get a three-pronged cord?

And here is a pic of that footswitch:

Basically that with a 1/8" plug.
Quote by Kurapica

Quote by aeliustehman

Quote by BWall1226
Wait, isn't it because the two pronged chords don't have a ground?

Isn't the circular peg on the three prongs a ground? If so, that'd make a hell of a lot more sense

EDIT: Oh yeah, I remember seeing a footswitch like that once in a picture...

I know what you're talking about. I'll see if I can find some leads for you on the interwebz.....

EDIT NUMBER 2: Dude, I can't find a footswitch like that anywhere......

Google and ebay have failed me again
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by musicalfish
How would one get a three-pronged cord?

And here is a pic of that footswitch:

Basically that with a 1/8" plug.

You'll have to take it to a tech to have it put on.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
I can't just get one of those adaptors? Right now I have it plugged into an extension cord that is 3-pronged. Will that work?

Also, why is it necessary for it to be grounded? (Sorry, I'm an electronics n00b).
Quote by Kurapica

Quote by aeliustehman

Quote by BWall1226
Quote by musicalfish
I can't just get one of those adaptors? Right now I have it plugged into an extension cord that is 3-pronged. Will that work?

Also, why is it necessary for it to be grounded? (Sorry, I'm an electronics n00b).

Dudetheman got shocked because (dear god, let me get this right) when he touched the guitar strings, he was acting as the ground. If the plug has a ground, the electricity just goes back to the outlet or something like that.

This is sad...... my dad used to be an electrician
--

--