Can anyone tell me some uses for chord inversions? I know that a C/G is still C E G with G being the bass note, but does this change how i would use it in a chord progression? Would it sound better if i placed this chord in front of or after a G or does it even matter?

Any song examples would be helpful too =)
From "How is this a C chord?"

Quote by The4thHorsemen
also, when people talk about inversions it's normally just with a triad. however, with a full chord it's a / chord

C second inversion:

-
-
-

C/G:

you use it how it sounds best to you, it's like any other chord.
Yea i saw that thread and recognized right away it was an inversion, but i wasn't sure when its appropriate to use them

So theres no music theory behind using them in progressions?
There's heaps of ways to use it. I agree with The4thHorsemen "use it how it sounds best to you"

However, if you're not sure where to start. Try using inversions to harmonize a descending or ascending bass line.

For example Am - C/G - F - E

Or G - D/F# - F - E or something.

Or C - Dm7 - C/E - F - G (If you keep the bass notes to the A and D strings then you get a nice ascending bass line and have the opening chord progression of Bob Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone.)
Si
Quote by GoDrex
inversions are used to make transitions between chords smoother. you can use an inversion to preserve common tones (notes that appear in both chords).

This

For example, if I wanted to go from C to G, I might play a C chord, then a second inversion G, and the G on top is the common tone. Or If I wanted to do Cm to Ab, I might play Cm, then Ab second inversion, and the C and Eb are my common tones